Map scroll wheel to mouse / stick movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map scroll wheel to mouse / stick movement

Hi!, first of all, I'd like to thank the reWASD team for such a great piece of software, I'm still amazed at all the features it has, thank you.

My use case is a bit weird so bear with me, I have a Kensington Slimblade Trackball:

Click image for larger version

Name:	firefox_StAapQFSph.png
Views:	717
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	223876

Which already works pretty well with reWASD! I've been able to use it to remap my buttons for something better than the default mappings (the official Kensington software leaves a lot to be desired, so reWASD is great to remap it)

here's the thing, the mouse moves when i move the trackball, but it has an additional feature that I really like where I can rotate the trackball and use it as a scroll whell.

That gave me an idea, that I'd be able to use the trackball as a whole as some kind of 3-way stick for games! :P, moving the trackball as 2 axis, and rotating the ball as an additional axis, and for almost everything, I think it should work, here's my config:

Name:	reWASD_PZOo28X1zY.png
Views:	495
Size:	572.5 KB
ID:	223877

there's only oneee small problem, I can't set the scroll wheel to mouse movement or to stick movement even, I dont know the reason, but it does not show up when I try to map the scroll wheel buttons

Name:	reWASD_iTEgLCiq4u.png
Views:	630
Size:	372.4 KB
ID:	223878

what makes it weirder to me is that if i pick any other button (like the middle mouse button) its there!

Name:	reWASD_Sokc8WOlX6.png
Views:	458
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	223879

For now, I've set it up to the right and left buttons as a workaround that I have yet to test, but I think it would be nice if scroll wheels would have the feature to be mapped to stick movements (mouse movement as well), I do not know if it was a deliberate reason from the reWASD team, if it is I'd like to know the reasoning.

Thanks again! have a nice day.

Scroll up/down events are a bit different from normal buttons: you can hold a button, while you can't hold a scroll. Scroll is always a "repeating" event, which doesn't go well with sticks or mouse movement, whose mappings are designed with "holding" in mind. So the thing you want to do won't be possible as it is for now. But I'll note it as a suggestion, so you might see the change in one of the future releases.

Though if you can make "scrolling" on your mouse to work as some kind of button via its native software, your goal might be achievable right now. This article should explain the mechanic.

Comment

thank you for your answer and taking the suggestion! that makes sense and I can see the behavior when I map it to a button, the native software does not let you remap my scroll wheel to a button sadly, but I can wait.

Comment

Working...
      X