Completely disable LED control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely disable LED control?

Posting this as a suggestion because I believe this isn't currently possible, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just had a really confusing situation due to LED control because of how it currently works. I was a bit distracted at the time so maybe some of this is slightly inaccurate and I'm misremembering things, but here is more or less how it happened.

I hadn't updated reWASD in a really long time, and then randomly decided to take a look at the application and saw there was an update, so I updated it. Most the time I only have one controller (Xbox Elite Series 2) connected to the system, and after the update I think I noticed the led was doing a rainbow glow animation or something like that. I was surprised since I didn't realize this controllers LEDs were RGB, but thought it was cool reWASD added LED control and so I just set the light to solid red.

Just yesterday I brought my machine somewhere to play 4 player games with some friends and therefore was using the other three Xbox One (normal) controllers that are synched to the system for the first time in a while, and since updating reWASD. We spent nearly 15 minutes confused as to why it seemed like all of the batteries I just charged the night before were dead because the controllers seemed to turn off right after being turned on; however, I eventually figured out that what was happening is that reWASD was taking control of their LEDs and by default was set to have the LEDs off. So you'd turn them on and then a moment later the LED would turn off even though the controller was still on and connected. Super confusing.

While I'm mildly interested in controlling the LED on my main controller, I don't care that much and I absolutely have no intention on using the feature for any other controller. Again, my memory is a tad fuzzy, but I also feel like I remember some of the LED settings for my Elite controller being a bit jank and taking some fiddling to get working right.

Because of all of this, I'd rather just be able to disable the LED control of the software globally outright so that all of my controllers just follow their native behavior, akin to before reWASD had this feature. Basically just completely disabled reWASD's hook on the functionality. At this time I haven't found any way to do this in the current version.

I'd prefer this because I don't want to have to go in and turn off the control for every new device that gets connected to my system (i.e. if a friend brings their own controller that they want to use), as in my situation (where I don't care to bother with the LEDs much) I feel like the default should be that LED control is disabled on each device, requiring the user to opt in for each controller, instead of how it is now (unless that is how it is now and my next statement turns out to be because of a bug).

Speaking of disabling the LED control for a specific device, while I've seen allusions to being able to do so online, I cannot figure out how to for my Xbox One controllers, such that they only way to make them behave "normally" is to set their LED to a white solid glow so that their default behavior is basically mimicked. If I go under the LED settings and uncheck everything as one post suggested, the LED simply turns off as noted before, making it look like the controller isn't even on.

This is an example of trying this with the Elite controller (which produces the aforementioned issue):

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	559
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	234770

So overall:
    1) I suggest adding an ability to outright disable this functionality across the entire program for those that don't make use of it and want to avoid it's default settings and any potential complications it could cause. Otherwise, if left to only being able to control the feature on a per device basis, I'd like it to be off by default on each device.
    2) How do I turn of the LED control for my controllers so that they behave normally (i.e. default, or as set in the Xbox Accessories App) currently?

Thanks.

1) Noted.

2) Unchecking all checkboxes for a related type of controller should prevent reWASD from doing anything to the LEDs of any controllers of that type.

I also have to mention that reWASD does not get exclusive control over the LEDs. The game, system, and controller itself can override any non-persistent LED change made by reWASD at any time unless the [Prevent other apps from using LED] option is enabled.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shion View Post
      1) Noted.
      Thanks.

2) Unchecking all checkboxes for a related type of controller should prevent reWASD from doing anything to the LEDs of any controllers of that type.

I won't be able to use the system in question again for a little bit in order to troubleshoot more, but is that not what I did as shown in the picture above? Because as mentioned that just results in the LED being completely off.

I also have to mention that reWASD does not get exclusive control over the LEDs. The game, system, and controller itself can override any non-persistent LED change made by reWASD at any time unless the [Prevent other apps from using LED] option is enabled.
      I shouldn't have anything else affecting them, but obviously it's good to try and rule this out anyway, so I will do so. For all I know some other application started controlling them too around the same time.

Comment

Originally Posted by oblivioncth View Post
        I won't be able to use the system in question again for a little bit in order to troubleshoot more, but is that not what I did as shown in the picture above? Because as mentioned that just results in the LED being completely off.
        Your screenshot doesn't show per-Shift settings. The same settings are also available for every config, and they would override the ones in Preferences.

Comment

Your screenshot doesn't show per-Shift settings. The same settings are also available for every config, and they would override the ones in Preferences.
          Ah. Yes, I should have stated that those settings are also unchecked (I couldn't show them since you can't have both sections expanded at once), though I'll make sure that's true once I can check again. I'll also check each config as I wasn't aware of that.

Comment

Before checking, please use the [Clear data] button at [Preferences > General]. It would reset some settings, including the LED ones. This will make sure no "possibly corrupted legacy" is left from the previous versions of reWASD.

Comment

Before checking, please use the [Clear data] button at [Preferences > General]. It would reset some settings, including the LED ones. This will make sure no "possibly corrupted legacy" is left from the previous versions of reWASD.
              Life has a funny way of getting away from us, huh?

Primarily wanted to say thanks for adding the ability to simply disable LED control with a checkbox. I've confirmed that this does what I want; however, for completeness, I'll tie up the lose thread of the rest of our conversation.

I began by using the "Clear Data" option with a regular Xbox One S/ Series X controller connected that was exhibiting the "off LED" behavior I described previously. After the clear, the settings for the LED on this controller were reset to a pulse effect. I then unchecked all of the controls for this controller as before (except the new global one), which I'll show again here, but this time with the per-remap settings as well.

Views:	369
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	238706

Views:	346
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	238707

With these settings I still observe the behavior of my Xbox One/Series controllers turning their LED off immediately after turning on. I even tried restarting the app with the controller off, followed by turning the controller on to ensure a clean slate, but nothing changed. I also tried leaving "Prevent other apps from using the LED" checked just incase some external application was interfering, but that didn't matter either (not that I expected it to given disabling LED control entirely with the new checkbox does stop this behavior, suggesting no other program is interacting with the LEDs).

While for the most part I'm fine with just keeping LED control off entirely, I wouldn't mind using it for my Elite Series 2 controller so it would still be nice to figure out how to disable LED control for every controller except that one, especially if there's a way to have that be the default so that I don't need to do it for each new controller upon first connection.

Comment

Absolutely feel your pain on the LED control mess. It's a real headache when you're just trying to get into a game with friends and instead end up troubleshooting controllers. I've run into similar issues before and found that sometimes diving into the software settings doesn't always offer clear solutions. My workaround has been to manually check each controller's settings before a gaming session to ensure LED behaviors are set to my preference, avoiding surprises.

For those persistent or unexplained issues, a community forum or a dedicated support page can offer specific advice or a firmware update might resolve the problem. I usually check leads.to for any recommendations or support regarding this topic. But remember, when all else fails, contacting the software's customer support can also provide tailored solutions to such quirky problems.
                Last edited by Toaq; 14.02.2024, 21:43.

Comment

Working...
                X