Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asking if reWASD is working on implementing anti-deadzone for axial deadzones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking if reWASD is working on implementing anti-deadzone for axial deadzones?

Currently reWASD can make anti-deadzones in games, just like SteamInput, and that's wonderful, however there are many games which implement annoying axial deadzones and reWASD (nor SteamInput) can do anything about them. They make diagonal movements more difficult and make controls feel sluggish. Developers do this so that when you tilt the analog stick to the left you get "left" instead of left-down, or left-up, as hitting true left on a circular analog stick is actually more difficult than people realize.

They create a cardinal-shaped, or cross-shaped, deadzone area around each cardinal direction and what it does is that when the stick is tilted to a cardinal direction even if it's off by a little bit it will still register as that direction in a strict manner, so you will always get "left" even if your stick is actually tilted towards diagonal-left. The severity of the axial deadzone depends on how the devs implement it, and *usually* it's only a little bit so it doesn't interfere with smooth control much, however some devs implement it incorrectly and it becomes so strong that making a diagonal movement from the center of the stick becomes extremely frustrating, as you'll try to do diagonal-left and get "left" instead.

If you want I can link videos explaining this better; also there are some games that allow you to tune the axial deadzone to your liking, like Halo Infinite and (I think) Apex Legends as well. Usually competitive games. Some boomer shooters as well, if I remember right I think Warhammer 40k: Boltgun had axial deadzone settings. It's been a while since I last played. Currently the game that is giving me grief and made me make this post is the new RoboCop game which has SEVERE axial deadzones which make controls in the game much more frustrating than they should be. Remedy's CONTROL is also another one with terrible axial deadzones.

Anyway, hope everyone on the reWASD team is having a good day.

Hello. We will be grateful if you send a video so that we can better understand your idea, and also name the games in which this behavior is observed so that our team can test it.

Thanks in advance.​

Comment

Here is a great video showing the axial deadzones in Halo: Combat Evolved in a great manner with some onscreen representations:

Another excellent video talking about axial deadzones and radial deadzones (radial ones are the "normal" deadzones that reWASD can do something about):

As for games pretty much the ones I already mentioned like Remedy's CONTROL, the new RoboCop: Rogue City has some nasty axial deadzones where diagonal movement is heavily affected, and Halo: Infinite has menu options for defining the intensity of the axial deadzones, and it's free to play on Steam (multiplayer portion is but the settings are there too) so that is an easy game to test with.

Here's a reddit thread talking about axial deadzones on Halo: Infinite:
      http://​​​​​​​https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHalo/comments/s5fgcx/offset_center_axial_deadzones/

Axial deadzone = the amount of input required along the X and Y axis before diagonal input is detected. The higher the value, the more your joystick movement will be computed as staying on a straight line when aiming in a linear fashion horizontally or vertically. Picture a cross on your joystick. Lower values will feel more twitchy while higher values will feel more stable. This setting also prevents drift as it creates an additional center deadzone.​​​​​​​

Comment

Like I mentioned, the purpose of the axial deadzone is so that any movement within the cross-shaped blue area will register in the game as left/right/up/down, however when the blue area (the axial deadzone) is TOO BIG it prevents fine diagonal movement. Halo: Infinite's axial deadzone options reduces the size of the cross-shaped blue areas (the axial deadzones), or enlarges them if you want.

Comment

I know what you're talking about. I'm not 100% certain, but you may want to play around with SteamInput's "Anti-Deadzone" slider, it's one of the options you see if you enable the Advanced Deadzone Options in the analog stick settings.

Calling it "anti-deadzone" I think is a little misleading, and I can't explain it without getting confused, but just try playing around with it and if it helps let us know =)

Comment

Originally Posted by aweigh0101 View Post
            Like I mentioned, the purpose of the axial deadzone is so that any movement within the cross-shaped blue area will register in the game as left/right/up/down, however when the blue area (the axial deadzone) is TOO BIG it prevents fine diagonal movement. Halo: Infinite's axial deadzone options reduces the size of the cross-shaped blue areas (the axial deadzones), or enlarges them if you want.
            I appreciate the suggestion but:

1) from previous use of SteamInput it will only affect radial deadzones, same as reWASD. Currently no software that I know of can affect axial deadzones except for dedicated cheating hardware devices like the Cronus or the XIM which allow full handling of game input and output, however these are extremely expensive devices and they require you to make your own scripts.

2) I would rather not use SteamInput at all, it's actually why I like using reWASD... so I don't have to use to SteamInput. I imagine it's the same for many others.

Comment

* forgot to add and also the Titan2, but like I said those devices are not for casual users.

Comment

Thanks for the information provided.
                We will clarify this with our developers and get back to you.

Comment

Working...
                X