Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repetition delay when holding a button hurts my PC, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repetition delay when holding a button hurts my PC, help!

Hi,

New to ReWASD, I may miss something here but I really tried to solved my problem diving into the software.

So J is mapped to a back paddle of the Elite gamepad. I use it for crouch/slide in Apex and it works fine. BUT when I open the chat I often press on the back paddle and it types JJJJJJJJJJ so quickly that my PC is crazy and emit weird sounds.

It's a problem known with macros where the shortest delays can kill a PC. I see that you can set the delays in the softfare when configuring a macro but how can I change the delay here with a simple mapping?

Please help!

Last edited by Onecat; 13.05.2019, 07:48.

Hello,
    This is a standard delay (500ms) like keyboard has. You may press "J" button on the keyboard and hold a bit a get same issue. Perhaps the paddle wasn't just pressed but hold a bit.
    As for Apex chat, maybe it reacts some differently, will check it in the game.
    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
      Hello,
      This is a standard delay (500ms) like keyboard has. You may press "J" button on the keyboard and hold a bit a get same issue. Perhaps the paddle wasn't just pressed but hold a bit.
      As for Apex chat, maybe it reacts some differently, will check it in the game.
      Thank you for the answer.

So I tested keyboard vs reWASD in the Notepad: reWASD types like twice faster than keyboard when you hold a key. Doing this in the chat of Apex makes the PC mad. I didn't tried to hold it long in the Notepad.

Can I hope a patch on this? It is really inconvenient because I often press the paddles or the sticks without noticing it.

Comment

Hm, that sounds strange. reWASD imitates the physical keyboard just like it works usually.
        We will check this issue in the game and I'll get back to you then.

There's one thing I need to be sure. Have you unmapped your Paddle when you add J mapping to it? If the Paddle is not unmapped, then it fires one of the diamond buttons too, so that may be a reason of additional presses.

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
          Hm, that sounds strange. reWASD imitates the physical keyboard just like it works usually.
          We will check this issue in the game and I'll get back to you then.

There's one thing I need to be sure. Have you unmapped your Paddle when you add J mapping to it? If the Paddle is not unmapped, then it fires one of the diamond buttons too, so that may be a reason of additional presses.
          Thank you for your help. Two things:

- I unmapped the Paddle and the problem occurs with other buttons like with the stick: it does the same if I move the stick remapped to WASD;

- reWASD is way faster than the keyboard when I press a button in Windows Notepad; I don't know if it's the same speed in Apex and in the Notepad though;

I can make a video to show you the differences if you want.

Comment

Hey there!

Originally Posted by Onecat View Post
            - I unmapped the Paddle and the problem occurs with other buttons like with the stick: it does the same if I move the stick remapped to WASD;
            So, the unmapped paddle works OK? You can also unmap stick click and stick directions if it helped with a paddle.

Originally Posted by Onecat View Post
            - reWASD is way faster than the keyboard when I press a button in Windows Notepad; I don't know if it's the same speed in Apex and in the Notepad though;
            Even when you unmap a paddle and try to press and hold it, does it still faster than the keyboard?

Comment

Hi!

Here's a video showing the problem:

Hey there!

So, the unmapped paddle works OK? You can also unmap stick click and stick directions if it helped with a paddle.
              Nothing works OK! My whole gamepad is unmaped / remaped and every input it does has the same high speed repetition.

Even when you unmap a paddle and try to press and hold it, does it still faster than the keyboard?
              Paddle, sticks, all are faster than keyboard.

Comment

Thanks for the video. Seems that you have additional mappings on Sticks — Zones — right? And so for sticks, both mappings are summed up. We will check the issue in Apex chat as soon as possible and I get back to you then.

In the meantime, could you please send your config file? It's a *.rewasd file stored in C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles

Comment

Hello,
                  I think we reproduced the problem you've reported. W - walk, J - crouch/slide. Pressed W+J keeps the character moving slowly, but if open the chat W+J letters start typing automatically (the character still moving) until buttons released.
                  Keyboard behaves differently and pressed W+J +chat just kept the character moving with opened chat until buttons released and then you may start typing a message in the chat.

Need more time to do some research. We will write with any updates.
                  Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hello again!

Apex appeared to be one of those unique games that process the keyboard presses differently for the gameplay and for the chat. For the best keyboard emulation, it doesn't need the repetitive "key-down" at all. We have some ideas about how to fix this issue, but unfortunately it is pretty hard to implement to our current architecture. We will do our best to add the workaround for such games in the future releases and I would be happy to contact you once it is released.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Right now, would like to recommend you the following things:
                    1. Remove the mapping from paddle and add it to some other button you won't press accidentally. Double Press for LB may work great I think. To crouch, you will need to press LB twice and hold it then.
                    2. Increase the deadzone on the stick, so it won't start firing mappings once you slightly press it.

Comment

Hello,

I'm sorry I couldn't answer before. Thank you very much for your replies and for your help. I hope you'll get this issue fixed.

There is still the fact that even in Notepad reWASD acts differently than keyboard as seen in the video. However if I hold the press in Notepad it doesn't drive my PC mad like in Apex.

I understand it's not related to my config but I can send you my config file in case it can help. I can't upload it here as it seems, I'll try with messaging.

Thank you again.

Comment

Hello!

No worries about the config file because we have already reproduced the issue and find out why it happens.

reWASD presses work a bit faster than for the real keyboard, yes. Also, you have several mappings emulated together (especially for sticks), and so the difference is noticeable. However, even with bigger interval between those presses, Apex problem will persist. Will try to do our best to solve the origin of this issue.

Comment

Hello!

No worries about the config file because we have already reproduced the issue and find out why it happens.

reWASD presses work a bit faster than for the real keyboard, yes. Also, you have several mappings emulated together (especially for sticks), and so the difference is noticeable. However, even with bigger interval between those presses, Apex problem will persist. Will try to do our best to solve the origin of this issue.
                          All right, thank you again for your concern.

Comment

Hello!

We have released new reWASD version that allows you to adjust the repeat rate for the virtual keyboard.

The default one is set to Fast — the same that it was previously. However, you can change it to "keyboard native" (it will be pretty the same as the keyboard acts), "slow" (twice slower than an physical keyboard) or switch the repeats off. The last option will be the best for APEX according to our tests.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4b356a7211.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	216952

Would be happy if you try the new version in action!

Comment

Hello!

We have released new reWASD version that allows you to adjust the repeat rate for the virtual keyboard.

The default one is set to Fast — the same that it was previously. However, you can change it to "keyboard native" (it will be pretty the same as the keyboard acts), "slow" (twice slower than an physical keyboard) or switch the repeats off. The last option will be the best for APEX according to our tests.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4b356a7211.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	216952

Would be happy if you try the new version in action!
                              Thanks a lot for adding the repeat rate options.

Can we get more granular control of this option? (The Virtual keyboard repeat rate)
                              For the moment, I have the option of:
                              - "Keyboard native", which is super fast on my system, I don't know why. I even tried to set the repeat rate in "Windows/Run/control keyboard" to the minimum, and it doesn't seem to affect the reWASD speed at all, only my hardware keyboards.
                              - "Fast" seems the same as "Keyboard native" for me.
                              - "Slow" is half as fast, but steal very fast.

Can't this be a slider? The slider's start should be repeat rate 0 (Do not repeat) and the end should be what Fast is now (or faster, if you want, just give me control of the steps in between). Or even a number input field would be better than the current solution.

Also, I love to be able to set the repeat rate on every button/key/stick/etc.

For the sticks, I would also love more control. Right now the Rotation, vertical axis range, horizontal axis range, and response do not seem to do anything when I set the sticks to keyboard or mouse functions.

For example, I use the left Dualsense stick for volume control on Windows; I would love to set that to medium repeat rate speed, and have a bit of delay before the repeat starts.
                              I use the right stick for back/forward skipping (5 seconds on YouTube and Potplayer); I would love to set that to low speed at the beginning, and fast if I push it all the way in a direction, also with a bit of delay before the start of the repeat. In this way I could skip back 5 seconds if I push the stick, and seek back more if I keep pushing the stick in that direction. The speed of the seek would be determined by how far I am pushing. And the delay would make sure that I don't start seeking back, when I want to skip back just once (5 seconds).
                              I was unable to achieve this currently in reWASD, if there is a way, I could not find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X