Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simulate square analog stick area

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Simulate square analog stick area

    The range of each axis of the analog stick goes from -100% to +100%. (Image 1 and 2.) But the area the stick can move in is circular (in most gamepads), resulting in not being able to utilize the full axis range in diagonal positions. E.g. at an 45° angle you get values of about +70% for each axis. (Image 3.)

    Is there a way to mimic/simulate a square analog stick area, so that at diagonal positions you get values of (+/-)100% for both axes?

    This would be beneficial in games like Elite: Dangerous, where you can map two different thruster axes to the two analog stick axes. In that case you lose maneuverability when the analog stick is in an diagonal position, as neither axis reachtes its maximum value.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1.png
Views:	446
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	217248Click image for larger version

Name:	Img2.png
Views:	315
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	217249Click image for larger version

Name:	Img3.png
Views:	506
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	217250

  • #2
    Hello!

    Thanks for your suggestion. We have been already investigated square stick area and will implement this feature in one of the next releases.
    I'm not sure in which version exactly, but I can promise you that this thing won't be forgotten. Stay tuned

    Comment


    • #3
      Great, looking forward to it! 👍

      Comment


      • #4
        This exact suggestion would be an immense improvement as the full movement of the joysticks become gimped when rewasd is enabled.

        Any update on the development of this feature? Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Hello,
          We would appreciate if you provide some details regarding your suggestion.

          Thank you in advance.
          Don't worry! Be Happy!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
            Hello,
            We would appreciate if you provide some details regarding your suggestion.

            Thank you in advance.
            I'm looking to get an update on if this square analog stick area is in development and ready for release soon. It would make rewasd even more useful than it already is! It was in response to the two comments below:

            Originally Posted by lujomu View Post
            The range of each axis of the analog stick goes from -100% to +100%. (Image 1 and 2.) But the area the stick can move in is circular (in most gamepads), resulting in not being able to utilize the full axis range in diagonal positions. E.g. at an 45° angle you get values of about +70% for each axis. (Image 3.)

            Is there a way to mimic/simulate a square analog stick area, so that at diagonal positions you get values of (+/-)100% for both axes?

            This would be beneficial in games like Elite: Dangerous, where you can map two different thruster axes to the two analog stick axes. In that case you lose maneuverability when the analog stick is in an diagonal position, as neither axis reachtes its maximum value.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1.png
Views:	446
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	217248Click image for larger version

Name:	Img2.png
Views:	315
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	217249Click image for larger version

Name:	Img3.png
Views:	506
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	217250
            Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
            Hello!

            Thanks for your suggestion. We have been already investigated square stick area and will implement this feature in one of the next releases.
            I'm not sure in which version exactly, but I can promise you that this thing won't be forgotten. Stay tuned

            Comment


            • #7
              Hello,

              I see, thank you for clarifying. We're working on and it will be implemented in one of the next versions. Unfortunately, I can't tell when it will be available, our apologies for the inconvenient.
              Don't worry! Be Happy!

              Comment


              • #8
                I am hoping this will be implemented soon. It's very difficulty to play games when moving the stick diagonally slows cursor to something like 1/2 speed

                Comment


                • #9
                  Will certainly add this option in one of the next releases. Stay tuned!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Whats the timeline for this to be implemented? software is practically worthless for many games without this feature

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Unfortunately, the next release is already over-packed with features, but we hope to implement this one as soon as possible in reWASD 5.6 or a bit later. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sounds great! +1 vote for an expedited development of this feature. I'm having to use xpadder simultaneously with REWASD to work around this limitation.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hello atesmab,

                          Taken into the account.
                          Don't worry! Be Happy!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally Posted by atesmab View Post
                            I'm having to use xpadder simultaneously with REWASD to work around this limitation.
                            Hello! Could you please describe how do you use Xpadder in this case? Xpadder doesn't allow you to set a virtual controller, so you use mouse mappings?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post

                              Hello! Could you please describe how do you use Xpadder in this case? Xpadder doesn't allow you to set a virtual controller, so you use mouse mappings?
                              My specific use case is in TESIV: Oblivion. Without a "square analog stick" feature the player character doesn't run full speed when the stick is in any diagonal position.

                              To get around this limitation I then use xpadder to assign WASD to the analog stick which allows for full run speed and doesn't hinder slower running or walking speed.

                              With this requested feature implemented I'd be able to ditch xpadder altogether. I prefer to keep things lean so the less software running the better!

                              I use rewasd for the Xbox One elite paddle mapping with combos and it's pure bliss. This really seems like the only feature that is keeping this software from being perfect for my specific use case.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X