Xbox Elite Series 2 mapping trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox Elite Series 2 mapping trouble

Hello, I got my Elite Series 2 not long ago and I've been waiting for the ability to remap the paddles on the controller to keyboard keys so I can assign ABXY to other functions in racing games, and I can shift and whatnot with the paddles. I waited for the update to support the Series 2 and I've been sitting here for three hours trying to figure out what to do, watching tutorials and reading the forum but I can't figure out what's going on.

I just want to map the top left and right paddles to Num 2 and 8, and the bottom left and right to Num 4 and 6 respectively.

Whenever I open reWASD and select the controller, I'm on "configuration 1" and a profile I created called "Racing Games" instead of the "Desktop" profile. I have Gamepad selected in the middle thing. Sidenote why is there like 4 different ways to set different profiles? Why set it to either keyboard, gamepad or mouse, set it to desktop or other game profiles, plus additional configurations AND slots within those? This is just way too much and overwhelming. I understand for advanced users needing that for mapping many profiles for different games like WOW and others that need special macros and combos and all that, but for someone like me why isn't there just an ability to have a basic "Profile 1" "Profile 2" sort of thing. Like I'm not sure which of those I should use, plus thers 4 different "shift" modes other than the default? for example I could set up one profile and move to another selection on any of these and suddenly bam, I lost what I made and there's like 300 possibilities to search through to find my profile. is it config one "racing games" shift mode 2 slot 4 with the gamepad selected? God I don't know, it could be config 3 "desktop" profile shift mode 3 and slot 1 on the keyboard option. It's just way too many options to change your profile or configuration on one screen.

I can get passed this, being a beginner I set everything to 1. Config 1, slot 1, I made a game profile titled "Racing Games" which is between "Desktop" and "switch to xbox 360". Shift mode 0.

When I press the ABXY buttons with the app opens it will of course highlight the button I press, but it's not saying it's ABXY inputs it's claiming up/down/left/right inputs instead. And with the paddles on the back THEY are the ABXY inputs.

Next, I try to change these inputs, I've hit unmap and it doesn't do squat. I have to manually set everything to "unassigned" but when I test the button to see if it's truely unassigned, say the A button, it defaults back to "down" as a mapping. Even when I hit apply on the config.

With the paddles I've tried removing the maps and that turns them also into up/down/left/right inputs that mimick the ABXY buttons even when they're mapped to NOTHING in the Xbox Companion app.

I'm so confused. I purchased this expecting an easy tool to configure my controller with and it's been more frustrating and waiting than I've actually done playing with this controller. Like honestly if I'm not playing Forza or Assetto Corsa I don't even use the Elite 2 controller, I use a basic controller because without being able to map the paddles it's just heavier, and the paddles get in the way and cause me to hit ABXY when I don't mean to.

Help would be much appreciated, if I missed a forum post already explaining this or if I'm just an idiot go ahead and let me know, but if I can't get this to work properly I will be contacting reWASD support and asking for a refund, because this app does literally nothing extra compared to the Xbox Accessories app if the extra features don't even work.

Hello!

It seems that Xbox Accessories app settings interfere with reWASD. There are two possible solutions:
    1. On your Elite 2, switch to the physical Slot 0 (you won't see any lights on the controller's slot switcher in this case)
    2. Go to Xbox app and create a new empty profile in which paddles are Unmapped and other button are not mapped to anything. Save it to all the slots.

Then, get back to reWASD. I will try to you guide you here:

Click image for larger version  Name:	94a9e250ab.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.4 KB ID:	217640
    1. Games list consist various configuration that we have created by default or you may add. You are correct, new game profile is the best for you.
    2. Each game profile includes several configs. In your case, you is more than enough.
    3. Main configuration is the one you start with, it's correct too. If you are interested in more difficult configurations, you may read more about Shifts in our help guide later.
    4. Choose the paddle, set the needed action. Use unmap to override the default XYBA.
    5. Press Apply button. From this moment, you config goes live.
    6. You will notice that the button at the bottom left says that Remap is ON and is bright. It means your mappings are working. You can press it one more time to switch the remap off.
    7. Here are the slots from reWASD. They are used to applied several configs at once. I think Slot 1 would be enough at the beginning.

If the steps above do not help, it may be a chance that the update wasn't installed properly.
    Please let me know so I could guide how to make a fresh start.

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
      Hello!

If the steps above do not help, it may be a chance that the update wasn't installed properly.
      Please let me know so I could guide how to make a fresh start.
      It only half-worked. Setting the controller profile to 0 helped with tthe paddles not auto-detecting as ABXY buttons, but I still can't get the configuration to save what I want. I set the paddles p1, p3, p2, p4 as numpad 8, numpad 2, numpad 4 and numpad 6 respectively. It kinda works, after I press apply and hit a paddle it will display the correct input once, say i hit p1 it will show Num 8, but then if I hit it a second time it just switches back to an "up" or "right" input. I'm not sure why but when you press multiple paddles you can make it change the input displayed, for example my top right paddle (p1) will go between up and right depending on how I press the paddles.

if you hit P1, then hit it again it changes to up. if you hit P1 and then P3, the opposite paddle it changes the input of P1 to down and the input of P3 to up. if you hit P1 to make it up and then hit P4, it will change to left. If you hit P1 to default it to up again, then hit P2 it will change to right input. It's like the controller always wants an "up" input no matter what paddle you hit and it changes the other inputs to compensate for one paddle now needing to be the "up" input or something. This is extremely frustrating and I'm not sure what else I can do.

I checked the drivers and the proper driver outlined in a troubleshooting post earlier today is present, I deleted all the BINV2 files so the app could recreate them and it didn't help. in fact I expected it to be like deleting the "documents" folder of a game, it doesn't delete the game but instead gets rid of control configs, saves and all that is stored on the boot drive for easy access. This is not the case.

Edit: I've done a fresh install and it still didn't work. I think the unmap button wasn't working before, it wouldn't "activate" or become highlighted before, it will now but even making sure all four paddles are "unmapped" it still refuses to save the keyboard inputs. It behaves strangely like stated above.

Last edited by seanwilcox337; 18.11.2019, 18:44.

Comment

Hm, pretty weird.

Where do you test the input switching? Are you in one app or switch between different?

Also, please send me the config with paddles you use. You can find it in this folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles Go to the folder with game's name and find *.rewasd file there.

Comment

Hm, pretty weird.

Where do you test the input switching? Are you in one app or switch between different?

Also, please send me the config with paddles you use. You can find it in this folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles Go to the folder with game's name and find *.rewasd file there.
          Usually all I have open is reWASD, no other input apps to check inputs.

I'm not sure how the config files work, but in the current state I have one "slot" which has been jumbled to the up/down/left/right keys and the other slots (2 3 and 4) all have the proper numpad input bindings.

This one is called Custom Profile 1, is on config one, shift 0, gamepad, all I've been doing is setting my inputs, hitting "unmap" for the paddles and hitting "apply"
          Attached Files

Comment

Before I did the clean install I got rid of AntiMicro as well since I tried it for the same reasons as reWASD and it was useless. I never used it, never even opened it so I uninstalled. the only other device managers I have are Razer Synapse (old and 2.0) and Xbox Accessories, and neither synapse app detects the controller.

Comment

Originally Posted by seanwilcox337 View Post

Usually all I have open is reWASD, no other input apps to check inputs.
              Sorry I was not clear enough. I mean how you understand that NumPad keys work at first but do not work after the second click?
              You may try Apply the config, open Notepad and press a few times. Do you see only one mapping in this case?

Comment

Sorry I was not clear enough. I mean how you understand that NumPad keys work at first but do not work after the second click?
                You may try Apply the config, open Notepad and press a few times. Do you see only one mapping in this case?
                I only have reWAD open and I test the inputs with it. When you hit a button on the controller it will bring up the mapping interface for that button, which displays the input. On the first press, it will bring up the interface with the proper Num Pad key, and on the next press it keeps the interface there but changes to the directional key.

I tried testing with Notepad and it won't even display the corret inputs once. It's like they're not saving no matter what I do and it keeps reverting back to the up/down/left/right keys as a weird default. I will try and record a quick demo with Shadowplay, upload it to YT and link it here if that's possible to show what I'm doing or what I'm failing to do.

Comment

It is not a good idea to test inputs inside the app.
                  reWASD detects the keyboard actions mapped to controller buttons and adds them instead of mapping.
                  It may be a reason why you get some unintended actions after.

I would recommend add needed keys to paddles, press Apply and then go testing to Notepad or something like this.

If you can make a video, that would be nice too so we could get on the same page faster.

Comment

This video is not for entertainment purposes, it is meant to be an example of difficulties I'm having with the reWASD app so I can refer their support member...

Comment

Thanks for the video.
                      Something is truly weird.

Have you started using reWASD from 5.2 version or was the previous one installed?

Comment

It states reWASD 5.2.0. I had the previous version installed from nov 5th-a few days ago but I updated and then did the clean install yesterday as well. it is running a clean 5.2.0 build.

Comment

Please try one more thing: go to C:\ProgramData\Disc-Soft\reWASD and remove all *.binv2 files you see there. Then restart reWASD and try to Apply your config one more time and test how it works.

Comment

Originally Posted by seanwilcox337 View Post
                            It states reWASD 5.2.0. I had the previous version installed from nov 5th-a few days ago but I updated and then did the clean install yesterday as well. it is running a clean 5.2.0 build.
                            I did what you asked and it still didn't work, though I did find my solution. As of right now the numpad keys, and I'm not sure what other keys just simply won't map. I can link any letter key just fine to the controller paddles, and I havn't tested things like backspace, most of the punctuation and all that but I wouldn't be surprised if some works and some doesn't. This works for now but I'll be keeping posted in the future for an update that fixes this problem.

They work in notepad anyway. I'm gonna start up Assetto Corsa Competizione and see if the paddles work properly for gearing and don't interfere with ther est of the controller.

Comment

Oh and I had done the binv2 file delete twice, once before an once after the clean install so I pretty much knew already that wasn't the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X