Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Mode Prevents Button Input

Hello,

I believe I found a bug with reWASD that causes unintended results. If there is a way to avoid this issue I would appreciate any help.

The issue appears to result from using the shift mode while also holding a different key simultaneously.

I am using a Windows 10 operating system, with a regular Microsft Xbox One controller (connected via usb cable), and reWASD version 5.3.0

To replicate the issue do the following:
    1. Setup a new reWASD config
    2. Unmap all buttons from the Xbox One controller
    3. Map the Left Analog joystick to WASD
    4. Map the Left Trigger to Left Shift (on the keyboard)
    5. Select shift 1 (Orange shift mode)
    6. Unmap all buttons and remap Left Analog stick to WASD again
    7. Use the Left Trigger as the Shift Modifier (no toggle)
    8. Save and apply the configuration
    9. Open a new Notepad or Microsoft Word (any document editor will work)
    10. Press and hold Up on the Left Analog joystick (which is remapped to W)
    a. You should see a continuous string of w
    11. Press and hold the Left Trigger (the shift modifier)
    b. The continuous string of w should now change to W
    12. Release the Left Analog joystick while still holding Left Trigger
    13. Press and hold the Left Analog joystick Up again while still holding Left Trigger
    14. Release the Left Trigger (shift modifier) while still holding Up on the Left Analog joystick (W)
    15. You should notice that all input from the Left Analog Up button (the W key) has stopped
    16. Only by releasing the Left Analog stick and pressing it again will allow for Up input to be recognized

As you can see, this can be problematic when I use the Left Trigger as the Sprint button in a game and my character randomly stops moving.

If this is a previously unknown issue could we please escalate this to the Dev team to try and get it fixed?

Thank you!

Hello,
    Thank you for your report and detailed steps to reproduce.

This is a kinda known issue that is due to the architectural feature of the service. But why do you need to have the WASD in SHIFT? You may map Lshit in the main as a separate button and use all mappings in the main.

Thank you in advance.
    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hello Star-Lord,

I prefer to use the Lshift as the Shift Mode because I find in most games it results in fewer input conflicts than mapping Shift Mode to a different button.

This is going to sound a bit strange, but it'll make sense when you hear the full explanation.

I prefer to use my Xbox One controller with one hand, while use the mouse in the other hand (I have an MMO mouse). I use this setup because it's more comfortable to use a controller as opposed to a keyboard, while still retaining the aim accuracy of a mouse when playing shooter games.

This setup actually worked out pretty well for me in the past (before I found reWASD), as I used to use the Xpadder application to remap my controller buttons.
      However, I've noticed more and more of the newer games that are released (on PC) tend to have the "Keyboard and Mouse OR Controller" configuration, as opposed to the old "Keyboard and Mouse AND Controller" config (meaning there is a slight input delay switching between controller input and keyboard input VS no input delay when using both simultaneously).
      This is the main reason why I switched from using Xpadder to reWASD because I needed a way to hide the physical controller from the game while still being able to use the controller via virtual input.

So, back to the original issue.

Because I use the controller with my left hand, I only have my left index finger and left thumb to use the left side of the controller. As you might have guessed, this leaves me with very few buttons to work with on the controller (also combined with the fact that many games have more key mappings than there are buttons on the controller). So I like to use the Shift Mode option to artificially increase the number of buttons I actually have access to while only using half a controller. I can only realistically use the Shift Mode on either the Left Trigger or Left Bumper if I still wish to have a few buttons to press with my left thumb. And because I use the Left Analog stick for character movement I would need to use either the Left Trigger or Left Bumper as the sprint key if I wanted to use both inputs simultaneously (as some game require you to hold the shift key to sprint, as opposed to it being a toggle).

Using the Shift Mode allows me to remap the d-pad and back buttons on the Xbox One controller two or maybe three times if I use the Left Trigger and Left Bumper as the shift modifiers.
      I tend to use the sprint key (in this case Lshift) as the shift modifier because Lshift tends to be ignored by most games when attempting to do anything other than sprinting, making it the perfect key to use as the shift modifier in combination with other key inputs. I normally use the Left Bumper as the "reload" key (normally the R key) so that is less ideal as a shift modifier as R sometimes conflicts with other key inputs in games.

I have found some workarounds for the issue, but I was curious if this is something that can be fixed or is planning to be fixed at some point in the future?

As a workaround, I'm aware I could just use another key (other than Lshift) as the shift modifier. I have also attempted experimenting with the Activators feature in reWASD to increase the button inputs with Double Press, Long Press, etc.

Alternatively, I was wondering does reWASD have an option to selectively choose which applications it hides the physical controller from? In other words, is there a feature to hide or not hide the physical controller from a specific application or game? Perhaps something like an exclusion list?

With that, I could just Unmap all the buttons from the Xbox One controller, so a game would be unable to see the physical controller, while I could still use another application like Xpadder to remap the key inputs on the virtual controller.

I know it's a long shot, but would it be possible to have the dev team try to add a feature like this for the future if it's not already implemented? Either a selective hide physical controller option or an exclusion list that excludes certain applications from having the physical controller hidden.

Thank you for your time!

Comment

Hello!

Thanks for the detailed message, sure, Shift layouts are a great addition to the config, we agree

Still it seems that you do not need to remap Stick to WASD inside the Shift, because in this Shift it works the same way as in Main.

I mean, you need to see the following in reWASD:

Click image for larger version

Name:	546fcbded8.jpg
Views:	1734
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	218568
        In this case, whenever you enter the Shift or go back, nothing changes on your stick.

Could you please test it?

Basically, if some control inside Shift should do the same as in Main, you do not need to duplicate it inside the Shift, it will be inherited automatically.

Comment

Your idea about "selective" Unmap is pretty interesting, but at the moment, it is hard to understand whether it is possible to do.
          We will definitely take it into account.

However, if my suggestion above works, seems you won't need it and Xpadder at all.

Comment

Wow! You are absolutely correct!

That resolved my issue!

I didn't realize you don't need to duplicate the button layout in Shift Mode for the same buttons as the main config.
            It automatically uses the same setup as the main config unless you change it manually. I understand now.

Thank you for the assistance! I really appreciate it.

I guess you can just disregard everything else I posted!

Comment

Thanks for letting me know!
              Hope it will be the last misunderstanding with reWASD

Comment

Working...
              X