Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Require joystick to output normal function plus additional key. What am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Require joystick to output normal function plus additional key. What am I missing?

Hello Rewasd community.

Just bought this software and it really helps. I must have spent over 12 hours attempting (and failing) to get the Steam Controller Configuration to achieve many of the results it took only 10 mins to enable on Rewasd.

So I have what seems like a basic request and almost certainly is:

I simply desire to have my right xbox joystick output it's normal function plus another key, for me, that is 'L' during left/right deflections. I keep thinking I'm missing a simple '+' button somewhere, but I can only see the option to add a single mapping on the main UI.

I have experimented with the 'combo' feature. However, so far as I have discovered, this simply outputs the joystick in an on/off configuration at 'full power' preventing any fine control that typical joystick operation provides.

I do not wish to add this to my Shift-modifier layer as this requires an unnecessary input in a situation of very find margins.

Use case: Rocket League - I wish to use the right joystick to both Air Roll right/left, while simultaneously outputting my Powerslide binding, when tilting the right joystick left/right. This would provide seamless perfect 90 degree side-flips/flicks during a powerslide. Or, to be able to land having just completed and air roll rotation, into a powerslide with no risk whatsoever of being stopped by the traction of the non-powerslide state.

Seems super simple but I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to have standard gamepad's key function + the remapped one, you should just not use the Unmaps feature.

If you want to use the + keyboard but, it is basically '=' key with a Shift pressed. If you just need to use the same key, you can use the '=' mapping.

I am not familiar with the Rocket league, but in my case, I have added this mapping to the B gamepad key. And as the Unmaps feature is disabled, you will get both inputs at once, B key from gamepad and = from the keyboard.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey wookiepediologist. Thanks for your response.

I see that the B key has a 'gamepad mapping' setting available on your screenshot. Tilt-right on the joystick has no such option - is that significant/intended?

When I map tilt-right to 'L' it loses the joystick functionality on activation for that region of the joystick and simply outputs 'L'.

'Unmaps' appears disabled.

I suspect I did not correctly understand your instruction?

I have attached a screenshot in case there are other glaring errors in my configuration. (I have pressed a lot of buttons at this point in an attempt to achieve my desired result!)

Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

I can see that in your case, as you have disabled Unmaps, you should get both inputs at once, native gamepad's which is movement to the right and the L button.

On the screenshot it is L pressed, then movement of the stick, then L released.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hey wookiepediologist.

I can confirm that in both of scenarios presented in the two screenshots attached (Unmaps enabled/disabled), the Joystick does not function whatsoever when tilted to the left/right. Only L is output.

Am I to understand that this is not functioning correctly?

I have tried the combo feature, however, unfortunately, the graduated output of the Joystick is lost using this method. It only outputs a single selectable 'velocity' in an on/off way.

Just to make sure I am being clear with what I am trying to achieve I will try to outline my needs more clearly:

I have an xbox one controller

When I tilt the stick out of deadzone to either the left or right, I wish for the computer/game to additionally believe I am pressing and holding down on the 'L' (or any) key/button until the stick either returns to the deadzone, or transitions directly to another region of the Joystick where the 'L' output is not desired (up).

If I am overlooking an element of your instruction, I can only apologise and gratefully request that you reiterate this.

Thanks for your support in this matter thus far!
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi there,
            Perhaps, you may try the shortcuts feature - https://help.rewasd.com/basic-functions/shortcuts.html.

Set the required stick direction and zone, where mapping will be triggers when stick passes the zone. It could be low zone if you need to trigger the mapping with minimum stick deflection or high zone to trigger the mapping when stick completely deflected.

Made some steps to show how it works - https://recordit.co/7F7IGmtirH
            Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hey Star-Lord!

Thanks so much for your input input.

I messed around with shortcuts and some other settings.

I'll be honest I don't exactly know what I've done, but with your advice, the functionality I require is now achieved!

I had some trouble with the 'shortcuts' alone, but I had a play with some other stuff and thought I might post images of the results in case it's of any value.

I appreciate you are very likely too busy to indulge me by explaining what exactly I've done, based on the images. But it would be interesting to know, and potentially useful for others, time permitting.

Either way, it seems to be doing what I need it to do. So thank you.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi there,

Glad that it's working.

In short, among the native stick behavior you've set:

- shortcut combination (RS left\right + low zone) that trigger L mappings (first screenshot).

- L button mapping on zone shape. When you pull the stick aside (left\right) and the stick passes the high zone (similar to shortcut but different zones).

More important that you've set your own config as it' needed.

Have a great gaming experience.

Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Working...
                X