Shift Mode interrupts sprinting in some games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Mode interrupts sprinting in some games

In quite a bit of games, I'll be sprinting and press my shift mode button (hold, not toggle) and it causes me to stop sprinting. In one game I've played (Battlefield 4 to be exact), pressing the shift mode button will cause my movements to pause entirely for a whole second before I can start moving again. Any explanation behind this or even a fix?

I'm using an Azeron gamepad if that matters.

Hello
    Try setting the buttons responsible for movement in your layer to "Do not inherit".

Click image for larger version

Name:	zANREOgC8yo1MA.png
Views:	609
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	226207

Comment

Hey there!

Could you please share the config you are using? Not sure what exactly happens here, so it would be better to re-check from our side. To locate the config, go to its context menu (click right mouse button above the config's name at the top left) and use Open file location option.

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
        Hey there!

Could you please share the config you are using? Not sure what exactly happens here, so it would be better to re-check from our side. To locate the config, go to its context menu (click right mouse button above the config's name at the top left) and use Open file location option.
        Here is my config. It's entirely keyboard scripted keys. Button 1 (bottom pinky finger button) is what I use to shift to my other set of keys. Like I said, pressing that shift button creates some kind of disconnection in movement while sprinting and in one other game - movement pauses entirely for a second.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by RAM Stealer View Post
          Hello
          Try setting the buttons responsible for movement in your layer to "Do not inherit".

Click image for larger version

Name:	zANREOgC8yo1MA.png
Views:	609
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	226207
          I tried that, but as I suspected - I no longer had movement to my analog stick lol. I'm using only keyboard scripted keys for all of my buttons btw.

Comment

Looking at your config, I saw two things:
            1. No Unmaps feature on the move controls, which can cause an input switch. You can read more about how Unmaps works in this article.
            2. On Left Stick Low Zone in [Advanced Stick Settings] you have a Space mapping which emulates pressing the space bar. I can assume that this is a transition to sprint mode in your game, but if not, it may cause motion interruptions.
            Unfortunately my display of your config may not be accurate as I'm not testing it with Azeron.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
              Looking at your config, I saw two things:
              1. No Unmaps feature on the move controls, which can cause an input switch. You can read more about how Unmaps works in this article.
              2. On Left Stick Low Zone in [Advanced Stick Settings] you have a Space mapping which emulates pressing the space bar. I can assume that this is a transition to sprint mode in your game, but if not, it may cause motion interruptions.
              Unfortunately my display of your config may not be accurate as I'm not testing it with Azeron.
              I use space in my low dead zone to emulate a walk key, which I did test to see if that was causing the interruption somehow but concluded it isn't the cause. As for the "Unmap" feature, Azeron doesn't seem to have that available.

Comment

I actually ran into this with Battlefield V this weekend and almost posted here but figured out it was more the game's issue. Where this is a Shift change there is a short hiccup with held buttons. You can see this with a text editor. Assign a button (such as LStick Up) to 'W' and another button to a Shift change. Then load a text editor, hold LStick Up, and then switch Shifts. The W will be held (it will continuously type w) and when you press or hold the shift there is be a small pause before the w's get typed again. This behavior is practically unavoidable since reWASD (or any profiler) needs to load the new shift which is going to take some amount of time.

Now most games work with this quite well. Up until Battlefield V I've never run into any issues with input delay caused by Shift changes (and I use Shift changes for weapon select in every shooter so I use them often). Thus I believe it has to do with how Battlefield engine handles input delay. Interestingly, if you change out the LStick from WASD to XInput Joystick then the delay is gone. So it seems that DICE either has a higher polling rate for keyboard input than controller input or it's simply more sensitive to button releases (it doesn't ignore small "release/re-press" windows).

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigk93 View Post

I tried that, but as I suspected - I no longer had movement to my analog stick lol. I'm using only keyboard scripted keys for all of my buttons btw.
                  Please let us know what is meant by the 'keyboard scripted keys'. Do not inherit option cancels the possibility for the Shift layer mappings to work the same way as in the main layer. The copy of the main Shift layer is being created automatically for all the shift layers. Thus, please do not map anything else, leave the same mappings empty in the Shift layers to make sure it does not interrupt the main shift.

The issue you mentioned is a known issue. We will let you know once we find a solution.

Comment

Originally Posted by CriticalComposer View Post
                    I actually ran into this with Battlefield V this weekend and almost posted here but figured out it was more the game's issue. Where this is a Shift change there is a short hiccup with held buttons. You can see this with a text editor. Assign a button (such as LStick Up) to 'W' and another button to a Shift change. Then load a text editor, hold LStick Up, and then switch Shifts. The W will be held (it will continuously type w) and when you press or hold the shift there is be a small pause before the w's get typed again. This behavior is practically unavoidable since reWASD (or any profiler) needs to load the new shift which is going to take some amount of time.

Now most games work with this quite well. Up until Battlefield V I've never run into any issues with input delay caused by Shift changes (and I use Shift changes for weapon select in every shooter so I use them often). Thus I believe it has to do with how Battlefield engine handles input delay. Interestingly, if you change out the LStick from WASD to XInput Joystick then the delay is gone. So it seems that DICE either has a higher polling rate for keyboard input than controller input or it's simply more sensitive to button releases (it doesn't ignore small "release/re-press" windows).
                    Thank you for the explanation. I'm glad it wasn't just me experiencing this. Like I said, it was very noticeable with Battlefield 4 where it would create a one second delay in movement. I just noticed with most games that it cancels my sprinting mid sprint. It's not every time I press it either. It's like every other time I press it. Just enough to bug me now lol. I also use my shift mode specifically for weapon selection as well, so I understand the frustration.
                    Last edited by Bigk93; 22.06.2021, 23:56.

Comment

Originally Posted by wookiepediologist View Post

Please let us know what is meant by the 'keyboard scripted keys'. Do not inherit option cancels the possibility for the Shift layer mappings to work the same way as in the main layer. The copy of the main Shift layer is being created automatically for all the shift layers. Thus, please do not map anything else, leave the same mappings empty in the Shift layers to make sure it does not interrupt the main shift.

The issue you mentioned is a known issue. We will let you know once we find a solution.
                      By "keyboard scripted keys" I mean specifically keyboard keys. I don't have any controller buttons mapped to my gamepad. My analog stick has wasd mapped to it.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know this is a common problem. Just let me know if there's any word on getting it fixed.
                      Last edited by Bigk93; 22.06.2021, 23:53.

Comment

We will certainly contact you back once this thing is fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Comment

Is there any fix for this? This is something that I've just noticed myself having added the shift mode button to my ADS. Every time I press it, there is an interrupt on movement.

Comment

What version of reWASD are you using?

Comment

I'm using the latest version.

Comment

Working...
                              X