Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to activate a button on hold before the long press toggle time threshold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to activate a button on hold before the long press toggle time threshold?

Hi,

Complicated question but it's rather simple. If we want a toggle on long press on the LT button for example (often used for aiming), we just activate toggle on long press for that button, but now, every time we use a single press on LT it won't respond unless the button is released before the long press time threshold activation. So if we have a long press time activation at 500ms for example, if we press LT during 1 ms and 499 ms, literally nothing happens, nothing is registered. Rewasd just waits for you to either release the button before the 500 ms mark or to keep it pressed to activate toggle.

How do we make rewasd being as responsive as having no toggle option on a button while still activating the toggle whenever the press time is long enough?

Simple example of what i mean : we press LT, rewasd registers the input instantly and if we hold it, the button is still considered pressed, if we release it before the long press time, the button is considered released as well, as if the toggle option we entered didn't exist. But, if LT is held long enough, the toggle option "takes over" the single press and LT stays pressed down even if the button is released.

Thank you for your help.

If you want the mapping to be still reproduced, try adding it to the Start press activator.
    This is the only activator that is being reproduced with other activators, and it is not being affected by the press time parameters.

Still, we are not sure if that's exactly what is needed, anyway, it should be at least closer to your wishes.

Keep us updates whether the information is useful or not.

Comment

Yeah, using start press is the first thing i tried but it doesn't work. The LT button is registered for a millisecond and then it goes back to that weird and unpractical time window where Rewasd is waiting for you to either release the button so it counts it as a single press or keep it held down long enough to register it as a long press (so it activates the toggle in my case). In my example of 500 ms long press time threshold it means that LT activated for like 50 ms thanks to start press then for 450 ms, there is nothing, then after 500 ms mark long press takes over and the toggle is activated. There is basically a stutter of about 500 ms where i can't do anything, not usable.

What it could be used for :
      In a fps we could use a long press LT to toggle LT and a shorter press to act like a normal input. We see a small target, we aim for less than half the second, we shoot, we keep moving, aim for half second again, shoot, move etc, then if there is a bigger target that requires us to aim for a long time, we hold down LT and the long press activates the toggle so we don't have to manually press it down all the time. Since there are always a ton of players who want a toggle on aiming but also as many people who'd still like to use normal aim for quick shots, it would be a perfect way to satisfy both. But currently that configuration seems impossible to achieve with rewasd.

Another way of approaching the issue, since i've been learning a little bit of AHK recently (basically another rewasd), if we had to transpose the LT remap into a script, it would be like using ~LT instead of just LT, if that makes sense. LT would act exactly like it usually does independently of its remapping (also meaning it would be pressed twice the second time we activate it to toggle off the long press toggle but you get the idea).

Comment

Actually no, if i'm not mistaken, ~LT wouldn't even cause any conflict double input in my case. Where ~LT is the physical key acting independently of its remapping :
        • ~LT is pressed down for <500 ms, only one input. (2 actually, down/up)
        • Toggle (from long press) activation :
        ~LT is pressed for >500 ms, long press activates, toggle LT kicks in. ~LT is physically released while toggle LT is on so nothing weird happens and LT is still considered pressed down.
        • Toggle deactivation :
        When we want to stop toggle, we press ~LT while LT toggle is on, it causes one LT down input while LT is still down, so one LT down input over another one, nothing weird happens. ~LT is released, which deactivated toggle at the same time, one LT up input other another one, no double input conflict either.

Comment

The feature you described, unfortunately, is not possible, as 500ms press time is too long, and yes, that is the reason it will not work correctly, because you need a lot of time for the activator to trigger.

You can also assign the combo to the required activator, where your button will be held for 500 ms.

But it is possible in the opposite way, you can map the toggle for the Single Press activator and the standard mapping for the Long Press activator, but again, it is not what you expect.

Thus, unfortunately, there is nothing else left to offer you.

Comment

Also, there is one more thing you can try, editing the stick zones.

Comment

Why is it not possible? It's not because the press time is too long since if it was 300 ms, or even 100 ms there would still be the same issue, it would add a delay between single press and long press which would be as long as the press time and which would be a time window where absolutely nothing is registered, not even the said pushed button, effectively reducing responsiveness.

Wouldn't be possible to have one day an option (i can post it in suggestion) so that the button pressed behaves normally until long press time threshold is reached (or simply have that button react normally regardless of any mapping associated, overlapping them) ? Some sort of "unblockable native function" option for each button we could activate.
              Because right now, what rewasd doesn't tell us is that if we use a long press activator on a button, that button suddenly becomes registered whenever it is released and no more when it is pushed, so it adds even more delay (i know it makes sense, but still).

Thank you a lot for all the suggestions, i can tell you really thought about every workaround possible. It's appreciated.

1. Unfortunately, there is no key combo option associated with Start press activator. So i'm not sure how to apply your first idea. If there were, it may have worked.

2. Invert long press and single press could work but that would create a mess to navigate in menus and any other things related to single LT press but not related to aiming.

3. I very much like your third option, it may be the one i could go with. The only tiny issue is that i can't see a way to change the size of the zones. It's weird, we can change their size all together, but not individually. I wanted to use the LT high zone to toggle LT but only when trigger is full pushed down. i can't do that apparently.
              It would be perfect if we could have the third High zone only for full activation, since it's pretty much the only way anyone would ever activate the third zone anyway (by pushing it all down), 90% of the third zone is not required, even an causing input mistakes, and could easily be allocated to the first two zones. I've seen on documentation images it's possible with stick zones (even though i have no idea where this menu comes from) https://help.rewasd.com/basic-functi...ger-zones.html . Is it possible to do the same with trigger zones?

Comment

Hey there!

This is not possible at the moment, because this is not how our activators are designed and used commonly. In your case, there is no way to activate Long Press without Single Press, and this is what we haven't expected to be a case. No need to post to suggestion, we will discuss your idea with the team, but at the moment, I can't promise you anything. It is a big shift in comparison with the current logic we have for activators.

I hope Zones may do the trick, and with the next release (planned at the middle of August), you will be able to adjust the zone shapes separately, just like in Advanced Stick settings. Stay tuned for the updates

Comment

Oh yeah, it's in the stick settings, i had missed it.
                  Thank you for considering my suggestion. The sudden drop of responsiveness of a single press button whenever long press activator is used seems to be a relatively important issue to me as it deters any player from using long press on a button that needs otherwise to be registered as quick as possible (shooting, melee etc). But they also don't necessarily know about this either.

Happy to hear about the update, will definitely be using the feature when it comes out.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally Posted by Badibbou View Post
                    Oh yeah, it's in the stick settings, i had missed it.
                    Thank you for considering my suggestion. The sudden drop of responsiveness of a single press button whenever long press activator is used seems to be a relatively important issue to me as it deters any player from using long press on a button that needs otherwise to be registered as quick as possible (shooting, melee etc). But they also don't necessarily know about this either.

Happy to hear about the update, will definitely be using the feature when it comes out.

Thanks for your help.
                    You are welcome!

Comment

Hey there!

Starting from reWASD 5.8 released today, you can change the zone shape for triggers. Hope you will find it useful.

Comment

Hey,
                        lol, yeah, i thought about you and this thread when i read the update. That's nice. But unfortunately i don't need it anymore.
                        Maybe you noticed but after this thread, i started to ask questions about other models of controllers (Elite 2, powerA etc). That's because i went ahead and searched a controller that would solve the problem by simply adding another button.

I now use the "PowerA wired enhanced" which is almost perfect for that kind of issue (Elite 2 would be much easier to use, but that controller just sucks) :
                        Since you can't directly use back button with rewasd you have to use controller programmable button. So you assign Left back button to a button you rarely use, like LS/L3 (and make sure to still have LS activated with a simple shortcut via rewasd, just in case)
                        Then you assign LS to LT with a toggle option via rewasd.

And there you go, you got a very intuitive and efficient config that solves this thread question :
                        LT still is the normal trigger that you can use for normal aim or menu navigation like usual.
                        While Left Back button becomes the LT toggle version of it for auto aim.

I don't think playing around with the LT trigger zones would have worked anyway honestly. But still good to have that option now.

Comment

That is very interesting behavior. Thank you for describing all of this and making that clear for us. It is very appreciated.

Comment

You're welcome. I also do that because sometimes i do something i find useful and then completely forget about how i did it when i wanna do it again. Writing those messages that way also helps me to come back to it when needed.

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
                              Hey there!

Starting from reWASD 5.8 released today, you can change the zone shape for triggers. Hope you will find it useful.
                              I tried to use the feature, doesn't work. Does it work on all controllers? PowerA in particular. I don't see any difference with before. I have the 5.8.

Comment

Working...
                              X