Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warframe freezes when alt-tabbing from web browser until Layer Shift is activated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warframe freezes when alt-tabbing from web browser until Layer Shift is activated

Hello,

[I'll start by saying I am using the 5.8.0.4512 build of reWASD for this. I just noticed there was a silent update to build 4546, which I just installed and will also test.]

The issue
    I am having an issue with the game Warframe. I have a profile assigned to my Azeron keypad that has a main and a Shift 1 layer. When I alt-tab back into the game, the entire game will be frozen and will remain frozen until I use my assigned key to activate Shift 1. The game will then begin responding and rendering normally. I can then toggle back to the Main layer and continue to play as usual.

Things I have tried and other thoughts
    1. I first thought this could have been an issue with autodetecting the EXE and loading, so I disabled all autodetection on all profiles and manually loaded the Warframe profile only. I have the same issue this way, which seems to indicate autodetect was not the issue.
    2. My profile is for this device only and has a single slot with a main and a Shift 1 layer only.
    3. This behavior seemed to start when I installed the new app version that supports the phone connection. I'm not 100% sure this was the time it started, but I am pretty sure this is true.

Is there anything I can do to help gather more data? I am a pretty technical user and would be comfortable doing whatever diagnostic steps you suggest. Thanks!

EDIT: I fixed the mistyped version number above - I meant 5.8.0.4512 was the first build I tried and I then updated to 5.8.0.4546.
    Last edited by Slappy_G; 25.08.2021, 04:18.

Hi
    There must have been a mistake at the beginning of your post, because the latest version of reWASD is 5.8.0.4546

Please send me the config you are using. Your configs are stored here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles
    I need the correspondent *.rewasd file.

Comment

Actually I did double check that the versions were correct but mistyped one character: I had installed the first version of 5.8.0 when it was released and it was build 4512. I just pulled the 4546 build earlier today from the download link and it was definitely a newer 5.8.0 build than I had. I'm assuming some minor update happened at some point between then and now.

The config is attached for you. Let me know if I can send anything else.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello
        I slightly changed your config and disabled the virtual controller in it. You had the "L Click 'mapping", which is why the virtual controller was created. Perhaps because of this, the freeze occurred in the game.

Import it and check if the problem appears. If this does not help, then please describe in more detail how the game is freezing. The game doesn't respond when you move sticks or press any buttons?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by RAM Stealer View Post
          Hello
          I slightly changed your config and disabled the virtual controller in it. You had the "L Click 'mapping", which is why the virtual controller was created. Perhaps because of this, the freeze occurred in the game.

Import it and check if the problem appears. If this does not help, then please describe in more detail how the game is freezing. The game doesn't respond when you move sticks or press any buttons?
          Thanks for the edited config. I'm testing it today.

As to your question of how the game hangs, here's more detail. As I originally stated, the game freezes when I alt-tab back to it. What I mean by that is that the game is completely stalled (takes no inputs from mouse/keyboard/Azeron) and produces no sound. It does not render any new data and just looks like a static picture of whatever the last frame was. Since this is a multiplayer game, the interesting thing is that once I use the assigned shift key to toggle to Shift 1, the game immediately starts responding again, and lets me keep playing while keeping me in the multiplayer squad I was already in prior to alt-tabbing away.

I have tentatively ruled out updates on Warframe as a root cause, since this behavior started after my update to 5.8.0 and no WF updates were released close to the time when I started seeing the behavior.

Comment

Strange game behavior. Hopefully fixing the config will solve this problem. Let us know about the results.

Comment

So far, the keyboard-only config has not seemed to exhibit the behavior, which is interesting. I'm switching the binding now to bind the joystick to controller left stick to see if the virtual gamepad controller may be the cause. Since the game would not know about layer switching (main to shift 1), I'm wondering if there's some possibility that the virtual controller is not responding to an expected input from the game so it just sits there waiting. Total speculation though.

More testing continues...

Comment

OK, so as soon as I mapped the azeron stick back to controller left stick, the problems started anew. I can reproduce it fairly consistently now, if I alt-tab to the latest version of Microsoft Edge (Chromium based) and then click around a bit, then I click back on the Warframe window. The freeze will happen about 60-70% of the time. Total game freeze, hung audio, the whole deal.

Clicking my layer switch to toggle to Shift 1 instantly unfreezes it. So this is definitely something related to how the virtual gamepad device interacts with the game, and it's something new since 5.80.

What can I do to collect logs? Or do you need me to do something like procmon/procexp to capture process-level data?

Comment

Frankly speaking, I am not sure if there are any logs that may help us. We have checked the game with a virtual controller, and it works OK, but, as far as we know, many games do not work normally with two inputs (controller and keyboard with a mouse). I am not sure why you need the virtual controller here, as for all other mappings are related to the keyboard, so even if it is not freezing, it may give you a lag when you constantly switch from one input to another. Your stick works as WASD, why do you need the Stick-Click to be working as a click?

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
                    Frankly speaking, I am not sure if there are any logs that may help us. We have checked the game with a virtual controller, and it works OK, but, as far as we know, many games do not work normally with two inputs (controller and keyboard with a mouse). I am not sure why you need the virtual controller here, as for all other mappings are related to the keyboard, so even if it is not freezing, it may give you a lag when you constantly switch from one input to another. Your stick works as WASD, why do you need the Stick-Click to be working as a click?
                    My main concern is that this behavior did not exist prior to the 5.80 release and for switching rapidly from game to the wiki (via web browser) is a common task for me. As to why the stick mapping is good vs WASD, my original mapping was actually stick, but I had changed it to WASD just for testing purposes. That's why the stick click was assigned as it was. Stick gives a finer movement control which is useful in some game modes.

Warframe actually does explicitly support multi-device input (one of its lead developers explicitly stated this and uses such a control scheme) and it works well if I disable remap in reWASD and use a normal controller in my left hand to test it. I'll try to do some process monitoring on my own to see if I can capture anything on the USB bus that may indicate what is happening and report back if I can find it.

Comment

Thank you for the details. Hope you could find something locally. We will try to check again with Azeron (previously, we have tested another gamepad), but at the moment, I can't say if there is any difference. Will keep you updated!

By the way, do you use the latest firmware on the Azeron? With the latest version of reWASD, you do not need to turn the reWASD support in the native software settings, and it should normally operate with the latest firmware.

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
                        Thank you for the details. Hope you could find something locally. We will try to check again with Azeron (previously, we have tested another gamepad), but at the moment, I can't say if there is any difference. Will keep you updated!

By the way, do you use the latest firmware on the Azeron? With the latest version of reWASD, you do not need to turn the reWASD support in the native software settings, and it should normally operate with the latest firmware.
                        Sorry for the late reply! Yes, I am running the latest firmware, and from what I can tell, the Azeron software does not even need to be running for reWASD to work. I have tested it both ways and it seems to have no effect. I'll follow up if I can find more details on where the wait condition is happening.

Comment

reWASD works with Azeron directly, and with the latest version of the firmware, you do not need anything inside the native app. You just may need to calibrate the stick, which could be perfectly done in the native software. Hope you will find something, at the moment, I am not sure what could be done here unfortunately.

Comment

Hello Everyone,
                            I am having issues downloading the mod for clash of clans, so I was wondering if anybody could suggest me the working mod so I can easily play the game.
                            Last edited by Watson; 19.09.2021, 13:14.

Comment

Hey there!

There are no mods here, reWASD uses configs to remap your device. Unfortunately, there are no configs for the mentioned game, so you should try to create it from scratch.

Comment

Working...
                              X