Dpi adjusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dpi adjusting

I'm going to break this down into two parts.

So, I wanted to be able to assign 'dpi up' to a key on my keyboard for example 'e' while maintaining its original function which would be 'e' in this case. I thought this would be easy if I had both the same brand keyboard and mouse using their respective software. WRONG.

So first off I used a Razer Mouse and Keyboard, opened Synapse 3. I was able to assign dpi up to the letter 'e' which worked flawlessly but it didn't retain its original function of 'e'. Apparently, with razer, you can only have 1 function and macros don't record dpi changes in the software. So instead I assigned dpi up to the key '9' in synapse and opened reWASD and mapped the key '9' to 'e' hoping razer synapse would 'think' that key 9 was pressed when I pressed 'e' and shift my dpi up but it didn't do anything even if I went into settings and set "emulate keyboard mappings on behalf of" the razer keyboard.

Hopefully, someone with some knowledge about this topic would know a way to bypass the issue so that synapse recognises the key press by reWASD as a key on the keyboard its self.

Secondly, I have a Logitech Keyboard and mouse. Unfortunately, Logitech are useless and will only allow you to adjust a limited number of specific keys such as the f keys rather than the whole keyboard like Razer, Corsair, SteelSeries etc. So in Logitech, I assigned f5 as dpi up then I went into reWASD and mapped 'f5' to 'e' and set "emulate keyboard mappings on behalf of" the Logitech keyboard. Tested it and unfortunately, the Logitech software didn't recognise the button press by reWASD as its own and therefore only played 'e' without dpi shift. I thought maybe it was because it was a dpi shift so for testing sake I just assigned 'f5' as the number 9 in logitech and when 'e' was pressed it should output 'e9' but it didn't.

Am I missing something or is an update needed to reWASD for these softwares to think that the key was pressed on the physical keyboard itself to register the macro but actually through reWASD? I thought the 'emulate keyboard mappings on behalf of' would make the logitech software think that it was actually through the keyboard.

Any help would be appreciated for what should have been a simple thing to do.

Hello there.
    'emulate keyboard mappings on behalf of' function is made for the mappings to work on behalf of the device you select, so our app does not create the virtual device.

Mainly, this function was a fix of an issue with the game Valorant, for the users who were attempting to remap their gamepad to work as a mouse.
    For some reason, the game itself, or the game's anticheat software, allowed only the input that came first. In case you moved the actual mouse, you could not move the virtual mouse anymore. Or vice versa, if you moved the virtual mouse first, there were no input accepted from the actual mouse. Just to let you know how it works.

Now, to the issue you are facing with. Each button of your key, has actually 2 functions. One - the actual physical press on a keyboard, the hardware-coded press, that usually, in most default cases, is a standard input of a key you press. This is exactly the input we are using in order to remap the device you use.
    Another thing is a virtual button function. This is typically the one that you can assign via the native software, programmable input that may be changed. A non-standard input that could be assigned to any key. This is the one we are having troubles with, and the one that causes the issue you are facing with. Simply, it is a virtual function reproducing, while the physical button is pressed. And this action is being done by the native software of a developer that made your device.

To the facts:
    -reWASD is a remapping software that reads the original input from the device you are using, in order to remap the key. Once the input is detected, our app virtualizes the press that you pressed;
    -in the case you described, your app is doing the same thing, the issue is that the actual press you are doing is being recognized by both, reWASD and the native software.
    -in order for the native software to actually think that you are switching the DPI, such functionality should be in reWASD, and it may be not possible at all, since DPI switch works differently for different mouse, keyboards. Some apps do not even have the opportunity to switch the DPI using keyboard (imagine having mouse and keyboard from 2 different developers). We also think that's the reason why not every software can change the DPI of a mouse from another vendor
    -so in case you want to use the DPI switch function, this button should be some specific, exclusive one, such as any other standard key, mouse press, any functional keys (f1-12). But it is not, since it works differently and may be located differently in each and every device that comes to this world, so this function is only for a vendor to do.

Hopefully, everything was explained properly, still, if you have any other questions - feel free to ask

Comment

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. It gave me a much greater understanding. So I'm guessing long story short there is nothing I can do until the vendors fix their own software. However, I have noticed that when I plug in my Logitech and keyboard both show up in the devices but also two things named "Logitech_LGVirHid01" and "Logitech_LGVirHid02" which are identified as a keyboard and mouse respectively. Perhaps you know something about these two or maybe they're the softwares virtual devices. Fingers crossed maybe using those two instead will work.

Comment

Actually, you can try adding virtual devices created by Logitech into the group of devices with your actual physical devices, sometimes, the input of programmable buttons goes to the virtual device, created by Logitech.

That's the only thing we can suggest at this point.

The details about the group of devices can be found in this article.

To initialize devices correctly, as one virtual device may act as a virtual mouse, and another one as a virtual keyboard, you can use the detection mode. E.g. if the mapping that you want to remap is a virtual mouse one (actually changing the DPI is the one), activate the detection mode, click the button that changes the DPI and initialize the highlighted device as a mouse.
        An article for a detection mode is available via this link.

Comment

Working...
        X