Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam controller shutdown randomly

Hi everyone,

My Steam controller shutdown randomly (each 10/15/20 minutes). Batteries are fine and I deactivated automatic shutdown from Steam (Big Picture Mode's Settings -> Controller menu).

Any suggestions??

Regards!

Please check the reWASD preferences - Gamepads for the automatic controller turn off parameter.
    Also, check your Windows' power saving options. Besides, find the device you are using in the list of devices in device manager and enter its properties. Make sure there is no such option as turning the device off for power saving.

Comment

Originally Posted by wookiepediologist View Post
      Please check the reWASD preferences - Gamepads for the automatic controller turn off parameter.
      Also, check your Windows' power saving options. Besides, find the device you are using in the list of devices in device manager and enter its properties. Make sure there is no such option as turning the device off for power saving.
      I reviewed every property and all seems to be fine ...

reWASD preferences: https://i.imgur.com/di6nsJA.png

In windows preferences I didnt see any option related to shutdown the steam controller (it's connected by bluetooth)

Comment

In that case, we can only suggest gathering some logs in order to find what causes the issue.
        Please check this article and proceed with logging using the start-stop method.
        After the activation of logs, the device disconnect should happen. Once the device is disconnected, feel free to stop the logging.
        Once completed, gather the files generated and feel free to provide us with them.

Comment

I tested it connected by USB and Steam controller not shutdown. I assume that the issue is related to BT connection.

Logs when it's connected by BT (https://we.tl/t-LPJvA4xWAI) I started logs before connect the steam controller, and stop logs after the gamepad shutdown.

Comment

Hello!

We can see other devices connected to your PC during the logging process. I would kindly ask you to disconnect all controllers except Steam and repeat the collection of logs.

But first check if the shutdown happens without reWASD. Uninstall reWASD and restart your PC. Then check how it works on Steam with no reWASD installed. If the controller does not shut down without our app, then install it again and collect the logs without other devices.

Comment

Originally Posted by RAM Stealer View Post
              Hello!

We can see other devices connected to your PC during the logging process. I would kindly ask you to disconnect all controllers except Steam and repeat the collection of logs.

But first check if the shutdown happens without reWASD. Uninstall reWASD and restart your PC. Then check how it works on Steam with no reWASD installed. If the controller does not shut down without our app, then install it again and collect the logs without other devices.

Ok, I disconnected all peripherals and repeated tests (same results, steam controller shutdown)

Logs: https://we.tl/t-k7TPPRXK9W

Steam controller seems fine, If i use it with Steam, or GlosC (to play no-steam games with Big Picture activated) its working fine. (Tested with rewasd unistalled and installed)

Comment

Hello!

Could you please specify whether the issue happens when Remap is on or always? Which config is applied in this particular moment?

Also, I would ask you to try one more thing:

- Go to Vibration settings
                - Switch both motors off for your config

We suspect that in-game rumble may overload the BT connection, and that is why the device is disconnected after a while.

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
                  We suspect that in-game rumble may overload the BT connection, and that is why the device is disconnected after a while.
                  I use steam controller as X360 gamepad, but issue happens always that the controller is connected through wireless (Bluetooth or original adapter). I cant deactivate rumble, because I have the standard license, and rumble it's only for "advanced mapping license". Anyways, all tests were done with rumble deactivate from the own game (I suppose that should be the similar).

I tested in another computer (Desktop PC) with the original adapter and same issues than when I use it in my laptop PC through BT or original adapter. Desktop PC has a free license, and my laptop has a standard license.

More tests ... when I connect my steam controller through USB, If I dont touch the steam controller, it try to shutdown or whatever ... lost connection with reWASD (and recover it in a few seconds). But while I am playing, I dont have any issue.

This "shutdowns" ocurrs en seconds, or minutes ... as I said, it is random.

I think that when I connect steam controller to reWASD, the controller thinks sometimes that is not connected (connection micro-cuts?) and shutdown.

Comment

1. In Device Manager, choose View by connection view
                    2. Find your controller and navigate to the dongle (adapter)
                    3. Check if it has Power Management tab in Properties
                    4. Uncheck the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'
                    5. Check the device tree to ensure that the option is off or absent for your dongle, controller, etc
                    Attached Files

Comment

1. In Device Manager, choose View by connection view
                      2. Find your controller and navigate to the dongle (adapter)
                      3. Check if it has Power Management tab in Properties
                      4. Uncheck the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'
                      5. Check the device tree to ensure that the option is off or absent for your dongle, controller, etc
                      Yep, it was my first try. Anyways, i am removing steam controller drivers completely, and i will try to do a clean install.

Comment

Sure, please let us know once done, so we can proceed with investigating.

Comment

Sure, please let us know once done, so we can proceed with investigating.
                          Ok, I think that it's already solved.

I had to reinstall steam controller drivers, disable all power energy option related to the device, and now it's fine.

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                            X