Time-Outs for Breaks in Key Combos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time-Outs for Breaks in Key Combos?

I'm using a very small High Zone on my left trigger so that I can briefly release the left trigger and immediately depress it again to change zoom levels. But it's a bit finicky. One thing I'd like to do is use the Break in Key Combos to ensure that I don't activate the High Zone the first time I zoom in. But there's no time-out for combos. Or is there? I'd like a combo to terminate before completion after a specified time limit.

Or perhaps there is another solution that would allow me to circumvent the need for a dedicated "change zoom level" button? I'm trying not to interfere with the zoom trigger but still be able to use it to change zoom level only when I need to.

Not sure I understand your case correctly.

Combo break node permits adding a break, which divides the combo into several parts: the combo will stop reproducing after each break, and continue from that point once the button is pressed again. So whatever you have after the Break would trigger only every second time and there are no timeouts that would reset this.

If you want to make a [Combo] that would press something with a delay, and do nothing if the trigger was not in the zone long enough, try making a combo like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-01-09_6-23-07.png
Views:	495
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	229450

Note: this kind of combo will not release the last key/button before you remove the trigger from the remapped zone.

Comment

I'm playing Halo Infinite with an Elite Series 2 controller which is capable of trigger zones. I hold the left trigger to zoom. I want to find the quickest way to switch zoom levels with as little movement as possible. So I widened the mid zone on the trigger, shrank the high zone to just 1000, and made the high zone fire the left stick button to switch zoom levels. So now, when I'm zoomed in, I can very briefly release the trigger (not even all the way) and immediately squeeze the left trigger all the way again to change my zoom level. It's the easiest, fastest, smallest possible movement without relying on anything else other than the same trigger I'm already holding down to zoom.

But it has a few problems:
      1) Firing the zoom level change is very inconsistent and doesn't always work. I'm not really sure why.

2) squeezing the left trigger initially makes the zoom level 10x instead of the regular 5x I would have without this combo. Which defeats the purpose of the combo because I just have to go and change the zoom level again to 5x. I need to consistently start at the lowest zoom level.

3) Making the high zone bigger can help with problem 1 but makes problem 2 worse by making it happen more consistently.

My hope was that I could make the high zone bigger so the combo always fires properly and use a break so that the first time the high zone is triggered it would always fire the break first, thus allowing me to zoom in to the typical lowest zoom level unimpeded.

(My Left Trigger Zones - Low:0, Medium:1069, High:31769, Max:32769)

Am I just stuck on an idea that won't really work? I loved it so much and I just wanted to make it work consistently without making the initial zoom level a crapshoot. Preferably without changing the zoom level on first pull at all.

Comment

Hello! Please send your config. Your configs are stored here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles
        I need the correspondent *.rewasd file.

Comment

Here it is.
          Attached Files

Comment

According to Gamepad Tester, the zone mapping on your left trigger should work every time with the config you've provided.

The reason of #1 happening is probably due to very short time periods a button to change zoom is held (unstable FPS in the game?). This would also explain #3.

I don't understand mechanics behind #2. Is the same button used to switch between "no zoom", x5 and x10 in that order? An explanation on how the zoom works in this game would be appreciated.

Comment

Unmodified Default Settings
              - LT Hold = ADS
              - LS single press = cycle zoom setting
              - LS won't cycle to "no zoom." Only releasing the left trigger will do that.
              - Pressing LS when it's at the highest zoom setting will cycle it back to the lowest zoom setting.
              - Zoom always starts at lowest zoom setting. Pressing LS again progressively increases the zoom setting. For Halo Infinite that just means switching from zoom setting 1 of 2 to 2 of 2. I don't recall anything having a third zoom setting in Infinite but that's how it's always worked in Halo games. In any case only having two zoom settings max makes things easier I think.

Shoot, I didn't even think about stability. No wonder it's inconsistent. I'm using a 7700K and a GTX 1060 and still getting drops in FPS from 60 at lowest settings.

Comment

So the issue here is that you are getting into the high zone almost every time, and thus want for [High Zone] not to trigger for the first time from the moment when trigger is pressed. Unfortunately, [Combo Break] does not fit this case and reWASD does not have any means to provide a solution that would not rely on your accuracy.

So if you insist on using zone mappings, you will ether have to train your finger to be able to avoid the [High Zone] when you don't need to trigger the "change zoom" action, or to set the combo I've presented in the post #2 to a [Medium zone] and adjust its size and the first pause of the combo to be just enough to always register your "brief release and push back" movement while not registering your first "full trigger press". Though that will still rely on your timing, accuracy and stability of FPS in the game. Otherwise I can only suggest to set up a [Shift] with [LT] as a its modifier, change one of the buttons you'd be comfortable with to "change zoom" action on that shift and use that.

Though with new Shifts System, that is planned to come this February, another solution might arrive.

Comment

Hmmm, well it wasn't what wanted but it's definitely what I needed. Your timed combo solution is working excellently. I shortened it a bit but other than that it's perfect. It's really fast, requires the tiniest of movement, I get to consistently choose which zoom level I want with virtually zero error, and the technically lesser-used zoom level corresponds with the technically longer pull time. If you can call 150ms a "long" time. Hard to argue with the results.

Thank you all for helping me out and putting up with my uncertainty. I've seen several of you around the forum here and you all do a great job helping people learn how to use ReWASD. I'm glad I purchased ReWASD, it was totally worth it.

Comment

Thank you! Glad to know that this solution worked for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X