Issue with steam controller right touchpad randomly stops receiving input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with steam controller right touchpad randomly stops receiving input

I was playing Cyberpunk 2077 with the steam controller. My setup has the right touchpad mapped to a mouse, and it activates the gyro when I touch the touchpad and deactivates it when I release it. I'm running into an issue where the touchpad stops receiving input randomly. It usually doesn't happen if I'm just touching the touchpad (and moving the controller), but when I'm also using the Left Stick to move at the same time. It also doesn't happen all the time, but intermittently. This is the first setup where I have mapped the steam controller this way (with the gyro on/off activation, since it's a new feature), but I've never had that problem with my controller before, even with rewasd.

Hey there!

Could you please send me the config you are using, so we could check it from our side with the Steam controller?

Also, a bit more details. Have you noticed this issue in some particular game? Or maybe you could reproduce the same on the desktop?
    In case you have noticed any steps that lead to this issue, please let us know too.

Comment

I've only tried this setup in Cyberpunk 2077, but I can reproduce in the desktop too, yes (by moving the left stick around and pressing my thumb up and down multiple times on the touchpad).
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm using the steam controller in 'bluetooth' mode because my dongle stopped working. If I load a similar config via steam, I can sometimes see a similar issue, but the occurrence is much lower, I don't think I would notice it at all if I wasn't looking for it, whereas I can feel it constantly with REWASD.

Comment

Originally Posted by flowerdealer View Post
          I've only tried this setup in Cyberpunk 2077, but I can reproduce in the desktop too, yes (by moving the left stick around and pressing my thumb up and down multiple times on the touchpad).
          Thanks for the provided config and issue details.
          We will try to reproduce it from our side and let you know when there is news.

Comment

We were unable to reproduce this issue with your configuration.
            Could you record for us a short video of what you press on the controller, or what happens on the desktop?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Sorry for the video quality, it's hard to record while holding the controller in my hands. I have obs visible and have the rewasd profile applied. It's a bit hard to see, but note that in the moments where the mouse stops moving, the left stick is still receiving input normally (so it's not a connection issue). The problem goes away as soon as I lift my thumb and touch the touchpad again. It's not a hardware issue with the touchpad either, as the gyro is also not receiving input when this occurs (didn't really demonstrate it in the video, but I've checked).

Comment

2 more notes. If I remove the Gyro On/Off activation on tap on/off (so that gyro is disabled fully), the problem still happens. If I set the right touchpad to be a right stick instead of a mouse, it also still loses input.

Comment

Unfortunately, I could not reproduce the issue even following the same steps you do on your video

Does everything work correctly if you do not use reWASD?

Comment

Yes. Another interesting thing, is that when the touchpad stops working, as soon as I touch any other input other than the touchpad and the left stick, like a button such as x and a, the frozen mouse immediately begins processing again and the cursor moves.

Comment

More info. I'm also seeing the the touchpad stop processing input, if I hold down a button like x simultaneously. So something about processing multiple inputs at once is blocking the touchpad form working. I'm not seeing this behavior with steam input at all.

Comment

Try to check if there is an input loss if you remove the creation of the reWASD virtual controller in the system.
                        To do this, you need to remove the mappings for turning the gyro on / off and the mappings from the back buttons of your Steam controller.

After that, click on the "magic wand" and uncheck the selected virtual controller.

Comment

More info, even without holding down any other button, if I repeatedly put my thumb on and off the touchpad, eventually the mouse input is lost. If I also remap the Left touchpad to mouse, the same thing happens. Can't reproduce either of these behaviors with steam input. I think something about touching the touchpad and activating the mouse input isn't getting processed fast enough in rewasd.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
                            Try to check if there is an input loss if you remove the creation of the reWASD virtual controller in the system.
                            To do this, you need to remove the mappings for turning the gyro on / off and the mappings from the back buttons of your Steam controller.

After that, click on the "magic wand" and uncheck the selected virtual controller.
                            I've tried this, nothing mapped except the touchpad, but the issue still occurs.

Comment

Thanks for all the information you provided.
                              We will try to figure it out and let you know as soon as there is news.

Comment

Working...
                              X