No announcement yet.

Issue with steam controller right touchpad randomly stops receiving input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I've spoken too quick. I'm still getting loss of input with the SteamController, and I think it also happens with buttons, although it's less noticeable than with the mouse. SteamInput doesn't seem to have the same issue, or if it happens, it's less noticeable for some reason. Seems to be worse if other software that provides some sort of virtual input is running, like remoting desktop software. Also heavy areas with low frame rate in game seem to trigger it more often, so it might be some sort of cpu timing issue, or something like that.

I'm a bit stumped, maybe it's something in my system, or it's just that it's running in bluetooth mode (instead of the dongle), as my previous dongle died and I need to use it in Bluetooth mode now. Dualsense controller via rewasd works without any issues, so it doesn't seem to be something inherent to my bluetooth receiver.

Comment

Maybe you could try it with another setup? That's true, seems to be many things involved here.

Comment

Thanks, I've mentioned it on the other thread, but have you tried running your SteamController in bluetooth (BLE) mode to try and reproduce? That is really the only thing I can think of, that I can't really test (because my dongle died). I had no issues running REWASD with the SteamController in the past, so that (other than upgrading to Windows 11 and driver/software installations) is the only variable I can't really test anymore.

Comment

Yes, we have tried this connection too, and also the dongle. Doesn't seem to reproduce from our side at all.

Comment

Really strange, I just tested again with SteamInput, absolutely no problems at all, so I still believe something with REWASD is broken. I guess I'll keep an eye to see if any other users report similar issues.

Comment

Two more videos. Seems like all buttons/inputs have issues registering presses/releases with REWASD. This is on a brand new config just mapped to a virtual xbox one controller, but the same things happens when mapping to a virtual ds4 or 360 controller too. Compare that to the second video, using steam input, no issues at all registering button clicks.

Comment

Sorry, sent the wrong link:

Comment

We will get back to you once we check this on our side.

Comment

Thanks, I do realise it might be an issue with my setup, but I have no clue on how else to debug this. This morning I couldn't reproduce it at all again, which has happened a few times, but I have no clue what could be interfering in such as specific way only with rewasd and only with the steam controller.

Comment

Another theory I have is that the polling rate might be wrong for the 'bluetooth' mode vs the dongle mode on the controller. I've tested a few different mouse polling rates tools with SteamInput vs Rewasd, both in bluetooth and in 'wired' mode. With wired mode, the polling rate seems to be very similar, but in bluetooth mode the polling rate in REWASD actually seems to be higher. Could there be a mismatch due to bluetooth that is causing my issues with not detecting press down/release events?
                      The only 2 things that I've narrowed it down in terms of what changed with REWASD no longer working with my Steam Controller is either something with Windows 11, or my change from the steamcontroller dongle to bluetooth due to my dongle failing.

Comment

To give further information, I believe (for relatively brief testing) that using the steamcontroller with REWASD in 'wired' mode works correctly, and presses and releases are working as expected. The bluetooth mode is the issue where it's missing presses and releases. But, like I've said before, the bluetooth mode has no issues with the controller via SteamInput, or with other controllers with rewasd via bluetooth, so I still think that something about the bluetooth polling rate for the steamcontroller in rewasd is broken.

Comment

Hello!

Sorry for the delay, had to spend more time for the testing. Unfortunately, we haven't reproduced the same issues with both Windows 11 and 10, on all possible connections and with similar conditions you describe. Maybe, you could try to change the controller batteries? Also, could you please also try another Bluetooth adapter or maybe another computer?

Comment

I've changed batteries multiple times. Unfortunately, I don't currently have any other pc to test (well, not one in which I can install rewasd as I only have a work computer without admin rights). My bluetooth is integrated to my motherboard and haven't had issue with it with any other controller I've tested natively or any other device, so I don't think it's the issue, but I might try to find or borrow a dongle and see if it makes any difference.

Comment

Thank you!

At the moment, we have run out of ideas and still could not reproduce anything similar on our side.

Comment

Working...
                              X