Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controller does not register inputs after reconnected (after being turned off)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controller does not register inputs after reconnected (after being turned off)

Hi! My controller (Gulikit Kingkong 2 Pro) gives no inputs after I reconnect it (turn it on and wait until ReWASD sees it).
    Nothing that I do seems to fix this problem without a restart. If I restart Windows the problem will only happen again if my controller turns itself off by being idle.
    My controller is connected via Bluetooth (Intel motherboard adapter).
    Such a problem has never happened with DS4Windows and BetterJoy (although these don't work with my controller for some reason), nor with Steam, x360ce, XOutput or just using the controller without any remapping programs. And even more bizarre is the fact that the controller won't even register inputs on joy.cpl until I restart the system.
    I really want to buy ReWASD, but this is just unacceptable.

Hello.
    It would be great if you could provide us with a little more detail:
    • Does this happen when using a wired connection?
    • Is the reWASD config applied at the moment when, after reconnecting the controller, you are not getting a response in joy.cpl?
    • Could you record a video of this case and your controller tests after reconnecting via Bluetooth?

Thanks in advance for the information provided.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
      Hello.
      It would be great if you could provide us with a little more detail:
      • Does this happen when using a wired connection?
      • Is the reWASD config applied at the moment when, after reconnecting the controller, you are not getting a response in joy.cpl?
      • Could you record a video of this case and your controller tests after reconnecting via Bluetooth?

Thanks in advance for the information provided.
      • It only happens with ReWASD, but I didn't try with a wired connection while using ReWASD. And I don't want to use my controller with a cable.
      • I've tried every setting, applied my remappings (was working fine on the game), Remap ON, Remap OFF, ReWASD open, fully closed, controller turned off and on, every combination back and forth. The only thing that temporarily fixes it is a system restart. Only to happen again when the controller turns off when idle.
      • I'll record a video, just give me a minute to restart Windows. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Here's the video:

Comment

Thanks for the video, it really shows the issue.

However, I would still like to ask you to check the following:
          After reconnecting the controller (when reWASD no longer responds to input), turn off the remap and check if the input comes from pressing the controller buttons to the system. You can do this both in joy.cpl and on the gamepad tester.

Check this issue with BT and wired connection.

P.S. I understand that you do not want to play on the wire, but this is necessary in order to isolate the cause of the problem.

Comment

Thanks for the video, it really shows the issue.

However, I would still like to ask you to check the following:
            After reconnecting the controller (when reWASD no longer responds to input), turn off the remap and check if the input comes from pressing the controller buttons to the system. You can do this both in joy.cpl and on the gamepad tester.

Check this issue with BT and wired connection.

P.S. I understand that you do not want to play on the wire, but this is necessary in order to isolate the cause of the problem.

Something very weird just happened... Either by BT or cable (I've tested both), the controller only works after I test it on Yuzu or other emulator, but not on joy.cpl nor ReWASD (if I try them first).
            But right after I've tested on an emulator, ReWASD simply started working again! What the... ?

Comment

Really weird. The bottom line is that this controller is supported as a Nintendo Switch clone, but does not have full official support.
              And judging by your last answer, the problem is most likely not with reWASD, but with the controller or system.
              You mentioned that you used a lot of other emulators and third party remapping software. Their presence in the system can also influence this behavior.

Therefore, you can try to remove all unnecessary remappers, or even try to reproduce this problem on a clean system.

Also, as an alternative to restarting the PC, you can try the following:
              Remove controller from Bluetooth & Other devices list and pair it again.

Comment

Really weird. The bottom line is that this controller is supported as a Nintendo Switch clone, but does not have full official support.
                And judging by your last answer, the problem is most likely not with reWASD, but with the controller or system.
                You mentioned that you used a lot of other emulators and third party remapping software. Their presence in the system can also influence this behavior.

Therefore, you can try to remove all unnecessary remappers, or even try to reproduce this problem on a clean system.

Also, as an alternative to restarting the PC, you can try the following:
                Remove controller from Bluetooth & Other devices list and pair it again.

My other remappers are not active, they are only x360ce (only opens when I click it) and XOutput (same).
                I use HidHide though, it's necessary to hide the real controller from the game, but I whitelisted every executable from ReWASD and also tried it with HidHide disabled.
                Funny enough, now a new problem is happening, the mouse pointer is drifting up everytime I set it as the right stick, even though the stick itself is drift proof and shows no drift in any gamepad tester.

Comment

It does not matter whether third-party software is active or not, if its components are in the system, the impact can be exerted one way or another.
                  Hidhide can and should be safely removed. As well as other third-party remappers that reWASD may conflict with.
                  In reWASD, you can also hide the physical controller when the virtual one is created. In your case, judging by the video, the virtual controller is not created, and in this case the controller will not be hidden. But we will implement this idea in the future.

It is also not entirely clear how your emulator, yuzu, works now, since it is in beta. It can simply switch the controller input to itself when reconnecting. Also, check if there are any special settings in yuzu that might affect this behavior.

In any case, all suspicions now fall on the system part.

Regarding stick drift: the tester will not show stick drift if you emulate a virtual mouse in the reWASD config.
                  If the cursor moves by itself, then there is a drift.
                  To get rid of drift, increase the gray zone (deadzone) in Advanced stick settings.

Comment

It does not matter whether third-party [...]
                    That's not how the other remappers work. They don't use services when they are closed and they are all portable.
                    Hidhide is there because ReWASD does not hide my controller from the game, even though it does simulate keyboard and mouse commands through the controller.
                    If my controller is not hidden, the game will not receive commands from keyboard/mouse and controller at the same time, so it won't be playable with the controller remapped and ReWASD would be useless.

I did not noticed anything special with Yuzu, sorry.

OH! Yes! The stick drift was my fault. I did reduced the deadzone. Going to try and fix that now. Thank you very much!

Comment

I do not want to argue with you regarding the influence of third-party programs on the operation of reWASD and controllers in general. It's just that while third-party remappers or their drivers are in the system, it's hard to believe that the input disappearance problems are related to our application.

As I mentioned, reWASD hides the physical controller if you are emulating our virtual controller.
                      There is an option for this in .

But since you do not emulate a virtual controller in your config, this will not work. However, in the future, we will make this possible.

But if switching between inputs bothers you, there is a native solution for that too.
                      Apply Mute to each controller button in reWASD. This option will disable the native behavior of the button, and only allow the mapping to play.
                      Mute is part of the Advanced mapping feature, which you can activate for a 3-day trial in the "" → "Advanced mapping" section.

Comment

I do not want to argue with you regarding the influence of third-party [...]
                        I'll try that. By the way, another weird thing happened... Now the gyro symbol is gone. Gyro doesn't work now. I'll try to restart Windows to see if something changes.
                        Could Power Tools app be doing something wonky to ReWASD? I mean, I use its keyboard remapper to disable Caps Lock and use it as RCtrl.
                        And I also noticed that sometimes Shift button fails to work...

Comment

Originally Posted by WilliamTael View Post

I'll try that. By the way, another weird thing happened... Now the gyro symbol is gone. Gyro doesn't work now. I'll try to restart Windows to see if something changes.
                          Could Power Tools app be doing something wonky to ReWASD? I mean, I use its keyboard remapper to disable Caps Lock and use it as RCtrl.
                          And I also noticed that sometimes Shift button fails to work...
                          I'm not familiar with PowerTools, so I can't say for sure.
                          There are too many weird things going on with reWASD on your system. Therefore, it would be cool if you could test reWASD on a completely clean system.

Most of the functionality (or similar) that you use from third party applications is already in reWASD. Including the ability to block the native behavior of Caps Lock using Mute and reassign it to Ctrl.

If similar problems also occur on a clean system, we will try to dig deeper in search of a solution.

Comment

I'm not familiar with PowerTools, so I can't say for sure. [...]
                            Sorry, I meant Power Toys, from Microsoft. Turns out it has nothing to do with this problem, I've disabled it and nothing changes.
                            Unfortunately I have no secondary computer to test ReWASD on.
                            The main problem is still happening and the lack of gyro happens right after the main one.
                            Also, when gyro is working (after OS restart) no matter how I set the sensitivity on the gyro it always stutters and kinda drifts a bit to the center at every time I point it somewhere, it's like it doesn't want to aim exactly where I want it to aim. But the gyro works great on Steam controller manager (on the same game; Horizon ZD).
                            I'll stick to Steam for now, but I want you to know that ReWASD has an enormous potential. I hope to see improvements in the future.
                            And of course, it's gonna take some time for PS, Xbox and Nintendo controllers to get near the capabilities of the Kingkong 2 Pro and its hall sensing sticks and triggers, but remapper program developers should give it some respect in terms of support, since this controller is trying way harder on innovation than the big competitors.
                            Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying ReWASD developers are not giving respect to this controller, they are.
                            DS4Windows and BetterJoy won't even work with it, yet ReWASD works and has more functions.
                            ReWASD devs should be very proud.

Comment

Originally Posted by WilliamTael View Post

Sorry, I meant Power Toys, from Microsoft. Turns out it has nothing to do with this problem, I've disabled it and nothing changes.
                              Unfortunately I have no secondary computer to test ReWASD on.
                              The main problem is still happening and the lack of gyro happens right after the main one.
                              Also, when gyro is working (after OS restart) no matter how I set the sensitivity on the gyro it always stutters and kinda drifts a bit to the center at every time I point it somewhere, it's like it doesn't want to aim exactly where I want it to aim. But the gyro works great on Steam controller manager (on the same game; Horizon ZD).
                              I'll stick to Steam for now, but I want you to know that ReWASD has an enormous potential. I hope to see improvements in the future.
                              And of course, it's gonna take some time for PS, Xbox and Nintendo controllers to get near the capabilities of the Kingkong 2 Pro and its hall sensing sticks and triggers, but remapper program developers should give it some respect in terms of support, since this controller is trying way harder on innovation than the big competitors.
                              Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying ReWASD developers are not giving respect to this controller, they are.
                              DS4Windows and BetterJoy won't even work with it, yet ReWASD works and has more functions.
                              ReWASD devs should be very proud.
                              In order to get a clean system, it is not necessary to look for another PC.
                              To do this, just perform a clean reinstallation of Windows. If bugs show up on a clean system, then, as I mentioned, it makes sense to dig deeper.

For now, you can collect logs for us. Perhaps we can find something there:
                              1. Run reWASD as administrator
                              2. Open Preferences - General, and make sure you chose Standard logging with Service/Driver logs
                              3. Press Start log, then reproduce the problem by rewiring the controller, which turns it into a "brick" and press "Stop Log".
                              4. You will see this message:
                              5. Click Open file location, find the archive that was created the last, and send it to our support team
                              6. In case you have completed the steps above, but accidentally clicked Cancel instead of Open file location, you can still find the archive with logs using this path: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Logs.

Comment

Working...
                              X