Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change rotation of virtual thumb stick on a keyboard bind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change rotation of virtual thumb stick on a keyboard bind?

Hi,

I'm working on my Diablo 4 WASD config which uses left thumbstick mapped to WASD for movement. It works well except diablo's environment isn't quite aligned with the direction 0-45-90-135-180-225-270-315-360 angles. So for example, when you're walking down a corridor it isn't in a straight line and you have to adjust movement to get through the corridor.

I tried some work arounds like making W and S at 80% while A and D is 100% and this works well, makes the character move straight. Unfortunately, W and S are then at 80% and the character walks slower up and down.

I also tried using 'shortcut keys' but they only activate when two keys are pressed together at once, not in succession.

Any ideas?

Hi.
    I'm not familiar with the specifics of D4, so I don't quite understand what you mean.
    Does it have something to do with diagonal stick movements?​​

Comment

Yeah, problem is diagonal movement. Say if you have a really long diagonal corridor going to the north east and it's angle is about 30 degrees, my character that is travelling through it has to zig zag because with WASD movement when I hold down W and D my character is moving at a 45 degree angle. Diablo 4's environment is set up like this. Is there a way I can modify it so my character would move at a 30 degree angle when I hold W and D rather than at a 45 degree angle?

Comment

You cannot rotate the axes of a virtual stick mapped to WASD.
        And the decision to map a combo of diagonal movement at a certain angle to the shortcut is a good idea.
        I don't see any alternatives to this.

There is an option to change the virtual stick emulation form from circle to square.
        Then you will be able to get 100% diagonal stick input, which will increase the speed of diagonal movement.

But not sure if this will solve your zigzag problem.​

Comment

Could I suggest these as future implementations?

As either the ability to change the rotation of the virtual stick mapped to WASD, or shortcut keys that activate without the keys being pressed together at the same time but rather in succession?

Comment

We will discuss with the team the possibility of rotating the virtual stick mapped to the keyboard.
            But the shortcuts will still work only when all buttons are pressed at the same time.

In theory, you can "rotate the axes" yourself. If the angles look a bit odd in the game, you can map W,A,S and D as combo of two stick directions in Hold until release mode, which will shift the direction a bit.
            Here is an example of such a combo for W:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	157
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	237569
            But it's still just a workaround.​

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
              We will discuss with the team the possibility of rotating the virtual stick mapped to the keyboard.
              But the shortcuts will still work only when all buttons are pressed at the same time.

In theory, you can "rotate the axes" yourself. If the angles look a bit odd in the game, you can map W,A,S and D as combo of two stick directions in Hold until release mode, which will shift the direction a bit.
              Here is an example of such a combo for W:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	157
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	237569
              But it's still just a workaround.​
              The directions up, left, down, right are fine with W A S D, the angles are correct. It's just the diagonals that are the issue.

Shortcut keys could be a work around but they need to work in succession when pressed, rather than having to be pressed at the same time. Could that be a future feature? An option when two of the direction keys are pressed, not necessarily together at the same time, that it activates the shortcut key?

Comment

No. Unfortunately, shortcuts will not work differently, as it is technically impossible.

Comment

Working...
                X