Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone guide me through setting up the Logitech G13 with ReWASD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone guide me through setting up the Logitech G13 with ReWASD?

I am a long time user of the trusty G13, and figured I'd see if ReWASD could give me some options for extending its functionality. Since the Logitech gaming Software (LGS) is both limited and unsupported, couldn't hurt to try. I searched around, saw that it was supported as of ReWASD 5.5 (via Logitech_LGVirHid, noted), and that got me excited.

Today I've finally sat down to see if I could get it working, but I seem to be hitting a wall very quickly. I have the G13 connected, I have LGS installed, and the G13 functions exactly as expected in all ways. I spun up ReWASD, confirmed it's at the latest version 6.7.0.8033... started a new testing profile in ReWASD, selected the "Logitech_LGVirHid01" device at the bottom... and I'm not sure what exactly to do now. There's nothing on the configuration screen, and when I press buttons, nothing gets added.

Questions:
    • Do I need to build a new profile in LGS specifically to function with ReWASD? If so, do I need to leave those G buttons all blank, or what?
    • Will I see a G13-specific layout in ReWASD?
    • Will ReWASD detect the actual numbered G-keys on the G13?
    • Do y'all need a physical G13 to test on? I have spares I can happily send over if so.
    This is my very first time trying to add a device to ReWASD that isn't an actual game controller, so the whole process is a bit uncertain to me. I know I'm most likely just doing something wrong, or missing a crucial step in the configuration of the LGS-to-ReWASD bridge. Anyway thanks in advance for any pointers.

Hi!
    1. You need to map something to your Logitech G13 buttons in native software in order to use it in reWASD.
    2. There is no special layout for Logitech G13 in reWASD.

After mapping buttons in native software, it should be available to remap as a normal keyboard when you add a Logitech virtual keyboard to the device group and remap it as a keyboard in accordance with what you mapped in native software.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I am doing this and it seems to be working, excellent!

Follow-up: Is there a setting that let's me add the Description of a mapping to be visible in its listing? Meaning I've assigned a default profile to the G13 in the base LGS mapping utility, and then added each of those to ReWASD in turn. I've given each a description in the mapping where it says "add a description" but I can't see that description unless I specifically click into an individual mapping. For a virtual keyboard like the G13, where all the keys are instead named G1-G22, it would be a lot more useful if ReWASD let me set custom list names so I could just look at the list to quickly check what my mapping is. I had hoped the "add a description" field would do that, but it doesn't seem so.

Comment

If you have added custom descriptions for these keys, then you can change the mapping display type to Descriptions or Mappings/Descriptions.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	442
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	239281

Comment

I recommend to map additional G-buttons to F13, F14, F15 (modern keyboards have only F1-F12 buttons) etc. in LGS, then it's easy to use them in reWASD as they are unique buttons. If you have problem to map them in this way, you can use reWASD to do this - temporary exchange any normal button with F13, and then map it in LGS.

Comment

That works perfectly, thank you!

Final question: the G13 has an option to set the thumbstick to function as an analog joystick. Windows sees it as "HID-compliant game controller" in the Devices and Printers window, wit ha hardware ID of "LogiDevice\\VID_046D&PID_C232," and every game I play usually detects it (and sometimes annoyingly so, if I'm wanting to use a different controller). I'm not able to see it in the devices at the bottom of ReWASD though. Interestingly, it does show a mouse-looking device called Logitech_LGVirHid02. with a VID/PID of 046D/PID_C231, just one off the stick.

I checked the block list to see if maybe I had hidden it, but sadly the PID C232 device is not there. Is there a configuration I'm missing, or something else I can check to see if I can make it appear?

Comment

reWASD would only allow this analog stick to be remapped if it was directly detected by the application as a controller. If joy.cpl does not detect this device as an Xbox One or Xbox 360 controller, but reWASD detects this device as a mouse or keyboard, then it is unlikely that it can be used with reWASD as a gamepad.

Comment

Originally Posted by FlameMan View Post
                I recommend to map additional G-buttons to F13, F14, F15 (modern keyboards have only F1-F12 buttons) etc. in LGS, then it's easy to use them in reWASD as they are unique buttons. If you have problem to map them in this way, you can use reWASD to do this - temporary exchange any normal button with F13, and then map it in LGS.
                That's a neat little trick and worked really well. Thanks for the tip. I'm saving all those extra F keys to my default LGS profile so I never have to go through that again, hah.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
                  reWASD would only allow this analog stick to be remapped if it was directly detected by the application as a controller. If joy.cpl does not detect this device as an Xbox One or Xbox 360 controller, but reWASD detects this device as a mouse or keyboard, then it is unlikely that it can be used with reWASD as a gamepad.
                  But that's the problem, as I mentioned before Windows does detect the joystick as a controller. It shows in the control panel, it is listed in the joy.cpl menu. See attachment.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The system detects it as a specific controller from Logitech, which we do not officially supported.
                    But there are many unsupported controllers that are detected in reWASD as Xbox One, Xbox 360 or Xbox Seriex S|X because they can work in X-input mode.

But unfortunately, this is not your case.​

Comment

What are the chances support for it could be added down the line? It's just really odd to me, all my games (FFXIV, X4 Foundations, Spacebourne 2, and Starfield tested just now) detect it as a game controller - it's actually a bit of an amusing frustration because its detection in those games sometimes forces me to unplug it just to make other controllers work. It even shows in Xpadder, Joy2Key, and Joystick Gremlin as a controller that can be remapped. ReWASD seems to be the only controller app on my system that can't see the G13's Joystick.

It's weird that it see the base keyboard component correctly, but it doesn't see the Joystick device (VID 046D / PID C232). Instead it sees something that it has assigned a mouse icon with VID 046D / PID C231, but nothing on my system I can find has that PID, nor does the "detect active devices" register any inputs on that PID, regardless if I set the stick to either joystick or mouse mode.

If there's anything I can do to test or troubleshoot I'd be more than happy to. These days my hands cramp and tremble so much that the G13 is effectively indispensible to my daily work, and being able to fully integrate it with the extensive functions of ReWASD would be a dream. I'd even be willing to ship y'all one of my spares for testing, if you want one to work with.

Comment

Firstly, reWASD does not fully support keypads (it detects them as a keyboard at best) and I can’t yet say when support for keypads will be added or whether it will be at all.
                        Based on this, it is even more difficult to say when the built-in controllers of such devices will be supported.

However, when we get to this point, if we need additional information, we will know that we can turn to you for assistance.​

Comment

You can try to disable that Joystick in Device Manager, so it won't interfere with other controllers if you plan to use reWASD.

Comment

Originally Posted by DevX View Post
                            You can try to disable that Joystick in Device Manager, so it won't interfere with other controllers if you plan to use reWASD.
                            Aye, that's what I've had to do in the past. When it's been enabled, games have had an annoying tendency to just assume that it is the primary controller, despite confirming in joy.cpl to use anything else as the default. Truth be told it's one of those features that has always been more effective on paper than in practice. I'd hoped this would finally let me get some worthwhile use out of it, but no luck. I've just disabled it again and set the stick to arrows and it's all good now.

Comment

>despite confirming in joy.cpl to use anything else as the default
                              This option has effect only for applications which enumerate joysticks via DirectInput and has no effect on anything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X