I can't get release press to work with other mapping modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't get release press to work with other mapping modifications

Currently the game I'm playing (Lords of the Fallen) has sprint set as a toggle and I'd like to "disable" this by making the sprint button trigger once on short press and a second time on button release. For some reason I can't get this to work though. The sprint button in this case is left joystick click and for the purposes of testing I have this setup on the A button. When I set Release Press to left joystick click everything works as intended, the button is pressed and once it is released left joystick click fires off. However, when I set Short Press, Long Press, or Start Press to left joystick click as well they work, but each of them seems to disable the prior setup Release Press from firing. Is there a reason for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do I understand correctly that you want to get it to work like in Hold mode? While you hold the button, the sprint is on. Release the button and the sprint off. Is it not?

Comment

That's correct, I'm trying to change it from a toggle to when I hold the button down.

Comment

So I've got it working now, but I achieved it in a way that makes a different part of my plan no longer possible. To get it working I needed to mute the default binding for short press Start Press. If I do this Start Press and Release Press both work and it turns the sprint function into an "on hold". While this works, it makes it so I can't have a short press. What makes matters worse is that adding a Long Press also seems to break this. Since this has become a bit complicated, I want to be clear about what my goals are with this binding in full:

Short Press (B) - Roll
        Long Press (Left Click) - Toggle Sprint
        Release Press (Left Click) - Toggle Sprint

This would turn the sprint button into an "on hold" instead of a toggle, while also allowing me to tap the button to instead roll. This would simulate the tridiagonal Dark Souls style controls. The above bindings would technically also toggle sprint on during a roll, but the game doesn't seem to allow that which is great for me. Is there any way I can get the above bindings to work or can Short Press and Long Press just not be used with Release Press? Is there a potential work around?
        Last edited by Yorae; 14.10.2023, 12:44.

Comment

It's hard to digest in my head without seeing it in practice. Please share your config here

Comment

Sure, I can share the configuration. I'm now using the left trigger instead of B. In the config below I've setup the left trigger to:

Short Press (B) - Tap to Roll
            Long Press (Left Click) - Hold down to toggle Sprint on
            Release Press (Left Click) - Release to toggle Sprint off

Short Press and Long Press work but Release Press does not. Because of this, sprint isn't toggled a second time and it stays on.

Download Lords of the Fallen Xbox controls to remap gamepad on PC. Lords of the Fallen key bindings are the custom config to map controller to keyboard.

Comment

The thing is that your click of the left stick is held as soon as you reach the Long Press mapping and when you release the button it fires again, but without a pause. Because of this lack of pause, the sprint does not turn off.

There are two possible solutions:
              1. Add a left stick click to Long Press activator, not by simple mapping, but through a combo.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	175
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	239621

Then, when Long Press is triggered, the sprint button (the left stick click) will fire once, and then a second time when the button is released.

2. Map Release Press activator in the form of a combo, adding a pause before clicking the left stick

Views:	147
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	239622
              I’ll say right away that the first method works more correctly.​

Comment

Interesting, thank you for your help. This seems to work, but sometimes the long press doesn't seem to fire. Any idea why this may be or how to fix it?

Comment

Adding a pause between up and down seems to have fixed the issue with it not firing. For the time being this seems like a great solution, thank you for the help.

Views:	148
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	239625

Comment

We are always glad to help!

Comment

This would simulate the tridiagonal Dark Souls style controls. The above bindings would technically also toggle sprint on during a roll, but the game doesn't seem to allow that which is great for me. Is there any way I can get the above bindings to work or can Short Press and Long Press just not be used with Release Press? Is there a potential work around?

pikashow download
                      Last edited by decock918; 27.10.2023, 15:55.

Comment

decock918 Hi. Please describe in more detail which mappings you want to use and what exactly does not work for you.

Comment

Working...
                        X