Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing layers is momentarily interrupting held keys

Hi!

I've been scratching my head with this one for a while and hope someone can help;

It seems that when I hold down a key and also trigger a layer shift, that held key is briefly released and re-pressed

The key in questions is F8 on my mouse, which triggers the 'Y' controller button.

Usually this interrupt wouldn't be a problem, but in this case the F8 key / Y button is for a Weapon Swap action in-game that requires a tap for one action and a short hold for another.

This Y mapping exists on the Main Layer and is shown across all layers. There are lots of layer switches on my config (each WASD key has it's own layer) and essentially if I move with WASD and switch weapons, the layer switch briefly stops and restarts the hold action and triggers the wrong 'switch weapon' action in game.

When I try to replicate this with Gamepad testers, I can see the Y button flickering, but it only seems to be an issue when the layer shift and button press happen within a very short space of time - but it happens regularly enough during play to be problematic.

I've tried turning off the 'Re-press the held button when switching the Shift Layer' option and have also tried disabling the virtual keyboard repeat rate to see if either of those effect it, but no joy. Also, using a 'Long Press' action instead of regular Single Press has the same result

I understand the easiest solution would be to give this key it's own layer that prevents further layer switches until F8 is released - but the problem I then have is any WASD input that has occurred while F8 was held does not make the changes I intend, and there is no way to 'send back to previous layer' on key release. It also seems that only the Main Layer lets you configure layer shifts using Hold, whereas you cannot trigger one shift layer from another with Hold

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Hello!

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no way to eliminate this brief re-press of held keys when you switch shift-layer.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gogeba View Post
      Hello!

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no way to eliminate this brief re-press of held keys when you switch shift-layer.
      Okay, not to worry! The plan is to use another re-mapping software for the F8 / Y key so this works as a 'global' setting outside of reWASD

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X