Combining Turbo and LongPress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining Turbo and LongPress

Morning. I need Turbo effect on R1 and I need Long Press on R1 as well.

I tried to set up turbo on doubleclick but after that Single Click on R1 has a delay. I tried to map Start Press on R1 and Turbo on Doube Click, delay is disappear, but single click starts to raise 2 R1 events. Then I map Start Press on R1, Single Press on Scroll Up (isn't used in the game, just didn't find "do nothing" option) and Long Press on R1. It works almost as I need, but Long Press produces 2 R1 events now. Can anybody explaine how to set up it right? Thx.​
    Last edited by BraxWind; 25.07.2024, 12:23.

Hey there!

The Start Press activator plays the mapping at the moment the button is pressed, so in your last option you get the input twice.
    In your case, the first option will be the most optimal. The delay on Single Press cannot be avoided because this is how activators are designed.​

Comment

As software developer I understand why it has delay there, but as gamer cannot accept it, because this is a fighting game and delay doesn't allow me to perform special moves. May be there are some way to bind turbo not to the button, but the buttons combination? I need turbo on r1 only when it hold together with foward or back arrows.

Kinda like
      Foward (hold) + r1 (hold) = foward (hold) + turbo r1
      Back (hold) + r1 (hold) = back (hold) + turbo r1
      Else regular behavior with no delay
      Last edited by BraxWind; 25.07.2024, 11:07.

Comment

Originally Posted by BraxWind View Post
        Morning. I need Turbo effect on R1 and I need Long Press on R1 as well.

... I tried to map Start Press on R1 and Turbo on Doube Click, delay is disappear, but single click starts to raise 2 R1 events ...​
        In Single Click - select "Mute" ... should eliminate 2 R1 on single click

Comment

Just be aware of how it works.

On single press ... R1 is generated when button goes down ... when it registers as Single Click - nothing happens because we muted Single Click

On double press .. button goes down two times - 2 R1 will be generated because of that ... followed by turbo R1 when double click is registered. This fits into what you want.

But say ... if I want single press to be R2 ... and double click to be turbo R1 ... this wont work: on single press this will generate R2 fine, but on double press this will generate R2 R2 (registering button down two times) R1 R1 R1 R1 (registering double press and doing turbo R1)

Comment

I tried mute.
            Single R1 works ok, no delay.
            Double R1 works ok like R1 R1 (R1 R1 R1) while I hold.
            Long Press of R1 raises 2 R1 events (as I understand one from start press and second from hold). After second event hold works ok (so it has delay of 300ms as I understand). If I remove binding r1 from Long Press R1 then no second event but no effect of holding in the game also.​
            Last edited by BraxWind; 25.07.2024, 19:26.

Comment

What you are trying to do after holding R1 (you mentioned "no effect of holding in the game") ... are you trying to shift to another layer when holding R1?

Comment

Game has different special moves binded on r1. Some of them reqires to push r1 one or two times like a regular button. Some requires to hold r1. And one special move requiers to hit r1 like a woodpecker, which don't want to do. So my idea was to program r1 somehow to:
                r1 one push - 1 r1 event with no delay
                r2 two pushes - 2 r2 events with no delay
                r2 two pushes and hold - turbo r1 while i am pressing the button
                r2 push and hold - 1 r1 event and hold effect
                I understand that this is sounds crazy, and I realy think that someone in NetherRealm Studios​ was out of mind. But if I'll continue to press r1 with with supersonic speed as it was designed I'll destroy my gamepad.​

Comment

button press and button release events are "instant" ... meaning they dont wait for other events

hold button does not wait on other events too ... it just wait for specified time

tripple press dont wait on anything also ... just checks that your tripple press happens within specified time

double press WAITS if there is another press that will qualify these presses as tripple press ... so there is a delay between you pressing double press and something happening - longer you specify delay for tripple press - longer double press waits to see if tripple press happens BEFORE outputing its command

similar - single press will WAIT to see if double press will happen ... hence, the delay you see

Generally, i do not use double and tripple presses on buttons in games that are lag sensitive - as it introduces lag (also can misfire two/three single presses, if you miss timing)

Most of times you can be creative to find solutions ... shift layers works wonders in adding extra functionality to buttons without introducing much lag ... one shift layers nearly doubles number of buttons you have

Comment

I thought about shift layer, but I don't have free button to switch it. Well... I have micro off and home buttons, but they are far from fingers.

But what if I set double press border as close to 0 as possible? Will it remove lag? Theoretically it doesn't need to wait a lot in this case.

Comment

Lol ... ofcourse reducing times for double press and tripple press will reduce lag ... ultimately, its up to you what is acceptable

Its rare to see games use all buttons ... there are most of the time clever way to free buttons

For example in FPS - one button is usually for running ... you can define zone for left stick so that when it reaches the end - it presses the keyboard shortcut for run ... now you have extra button that used to be used for running

Another example ... say Street Fighter will use A B X Y R1 R2 for basic attacks ... and you can use L1 and L2 to assign combination of attacks in game settings, like A+B+X ... you think L1 and L2 are important ... but if you allocate L2 as shift layer (hold to activate) ... you can assign now extra stuff to A B X Y R1 R2 (and not just that - Shortcuts can be different in shift layers too ... so A+B can have different mapping in different shift layers) ... loose one button and gain many

Possibilities are endless ... and what works for me might not work for you ... experiment and have fun ... rewasd truly given me way to game from couch without using KBM (i am too old to game with KBM in front on monitor lol)

Comment

Well, Mortal Kombat 1 uses arrows for moving, buttons for punches, r2 to block, r1 to cameo call, l2 to switch stance, l1 to throw, left joistick also for move, right one for using talisman and my favorite: tachpad for reset practice. So all buttons except option, micro and home busy. Except maybe right trigger click, but it hard to perform without moving it.
                        Last edited by BraxWind; 27.07.2024, 10:25.

Comment

Lol ... thats the first game i see that uses all easily accessible buttons for critical actions. Thats where controllers with backpaddles that reWASD can recognize comes in handy (DualSense Edge, Xbox Elite, Vader 3 PRO).

Other than that ... you can create shortcut for L2+R2 that switches to Shift Layer ... in that Shift Layer you can set all punch/kick buttons to turbo (while you holding L2+R2) ... should work as L2+R2 is easily pressed and is not used by game

Similarly can create L1+R1 if need extra stuff

Comment

I have been playing Mortal Kombat games for a long time and unfortunatelly it requires good dpad + strong r2. Most controllers with separate dpab just get broken after half of year playing (speedlink quirinos or razor wolwerine). The only one who survive was dualshock, so I bought dualsense and modified with custom Battle Beaver buttons. I thought about buying third party backpaddles, but looks like all of them are not recognized as new buttons, just allows to emulate regular few.

Don't laugth, but l2+r2 is fatal blow. But what if I will assign switch layer on long press? Will it count r1 event which happens before layer switch?
                            Last edited by BraxWind; 27.07.2024, 14:15.

Comment

Originally Posted by BraxWind View Post
                              Don't laugth, but l2+r2 is fatal blow. But what if I will assign switch layer on long press? Will it count r1 event which happens before layer switch?
                              I am laughing lol ... as for question ... it will count R1 if you dont press long enough for switch to happen ... you can add combo for long press that just do rumble in addition to switching layer (that way you know when Shift occurred)

Comment

Working...
                              X