What is your favorite gamepad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite gamepad?

Do you have an all-time favorite gamepad? Is it new or old but gold? Or maybe it is not a gamepad but a gaming mouse/keypad or any other device? Do you use it separately or in a group with other ones? Would be happy to know more about your gaming tools

PS3 Nav Controller for movement (connected wirelessly) and paired with a G502 wireless mouse for FPS games. It feels so natural you'll wonder how you even considered the keyboard WASD in the first place. Its one of those things you have to try to understand.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, this is truly an interesting combo. Do you add keyboard mappings to the Nav and use your mouse as a mouse?

Comment

I don't really have a favorite gamepad at the moment, all of them have compromises. I love the Steam Controller -- specifically the triggers and the touchpads -- but it's a loud beast and many of the buttons require quite a bit of force to be pressed. It didn't bother me until I had used a DS4 for a year going back it's a bit tough to use. The DS4 with the official back button attachment is current primary device but joysticks are archaic. They do the job fine but I don't use the right joystick for aiming and the large touchpad of the Steam Controller is amazing for movement bindings.

However both of these devices require my hands to positioned together and they also supply a symmetrical arrangement of keys. I've used joycons in the past and I love the split controller design but the controllers are much too small for my hands and the abysmal 66hz polling rate creates noticeable input latency. The Gypard controllers look like interesting alternatives to the joycons as long as the hardware ends up being top notch (250+ hz polling rate and an accurate IMU, hopefully 9-axis to help counter drift) and would work well for PC-centric games if paired with something like the Logitech G13 or Nostromo n52 in the left hand for hotkeys. I'm really, really interesting in the etee controllers. The top thumb part acts very much like the Steam Controller touchpad (can use to swipe or scroll or have it act like a joystick) and the touch grip looks great for assigning bindings to all of your fingers -- instead of usually just your thumb, primary, and middle fingers). But we'll see how they work when more reviews come out. The tech on the grip needs to be really good in order to not have misread or dropped inputs due to fingers being slightly off the sensors or something. It could also add to immersion by bringing the gesture based inputs of VR to flat gaming.

But for now I'm happy with the DS4 (plus back buttons). It isn't perfect but it tends to get the job done in a majority of things. I also love peripherals and have dance pads and fight sticks for those special occasions (2D games deserve to be played with an arcade stick 😅).

Comment

Wow! You have an awesome collection of devices!

We haven't seen Gypard or Etee controllers yet, but both look promising. We will try to check them and understand if they could get some additional benefits from reWASD

Comment

Originally Posted by CriticalComposer View Post
            I don't really have a favorite gamepad at the moment, all of them have compromises. I love the Steam Controller -- specifically the triggers and the touchpads -- but it's a loud beast and many of the buttons require quite a bit of force to be pressed. It didn't bother me until I had used a DS4 for a year going back it's a bit tough to use. The DS4 with the official back button attachment is current primary device but joysticks are archaic. They do the job fine but I don't use the right joystick for aiming and the large touchpad of the Steam Controller is amazing for movement bindings.

However both of these devices require my hands to positioned together and they also supply a symmetrical arrangement of keys. I've used joycons in the past and I love the split controller design but the controllers are much too small for my hands and the abysmal 66hz polling rate creates noticeable input latency. The Gypard controllers look like interesting alternatives to the joycons as long as the hardware ends up being top notch (250+ hz polling rate and an accurate IMU, hopefully 9-axis to help counter drift) and would work well for PC-centric games if paired with something like the Logitech G13 or Nostromo n52 in the left hand for hotkeys. I'm really, really interesting in the etee controllers. The top thumb part acts very much like the Steam Controller touchpad (can use to swipe or scroll or have it act like a joystick) and the touch grip looks great for assigning bindings to all of your fingers -- instead of usually just your thumb, primary, and middle fingers). But we'll see how they work when more reviews come out. The tech on the grip needs to be really good in order to not have misread or dropped inputs due to fingers being slightly off the sensors or something. It could also add to immersion by bringing the gesture based inputs of VR to flat gaming.

But for now I'm happy with the DS4 (plus back buttons). It isn't perfect but it tends to get the job done in a majority of things. I also love peripherals and have dance pads and fight sticks for those special occasions (2D games deserve to be played with an arcade stick 😅).
            Wow you have so many game pads.

Comment

I have a collection of retro video games. Hard to chose favorite. I would say GBA and Nintendo64. At the moment I dont have n64 in my collection so I play it via emulator Romsplanet. So I just download my fav games and enjoy the game on my PC
              Last edited by reWASDer; 21.09.2021, 16:36. Reason: do not publish unrelated links here please

Comment

Its difficult to select but PS3. Great

Comment

Originally Posted by Mandor28
                  Dreamcast. That was easily one of the best controllers I ever held. It was a super awkward design but it felt comfortable, and that with a VMU (memory card) was some pretty innovative shit. I actually enjoyed taking the VMU out with me and playing whatever little games you could actually play on it.
                  It looks funny. I've never tried it, but I believe it is indeed handy

Comment

Originally Posted by faraci12 View Post
                    Its difficult to select but PS3. Great
                    Exclusive games I suppose? There are several amazing titles for this generation.

Comment

I never saw these Gypard controllers, looks really comfortable and practical to use. If it all works out I will try it out and will leave my honest review here.
                      Last edited by Voredo; 23.02.2022, 22:48.
                      Hi

Comment

Originally Posted by Voredo View Post
                        I never saw these Gypard controllers, looks really comfortable and practical to use. I will preorder one and see if it can be delivered to my Calabria real estate. If it all works out I will try it out and will leave my honest review here.
                        As far as I know they are trying to get funding and logistics down for mass production and aren't actually taking pre-orders yet. The pre-order button on their site appears to simply be a way for them to register interest in the product.

Comment

Originally Posted by CriticalComposer View Post

As far as I know they are trying to get funding and logistics down for mass production and aren't actually taking pre-orders yet. The pre-order button on their site appears to simply be a way for them to register interest in the product.
                          oh, this is bad news. I hope they will get needed funding and all will be good eventually
                          Hi

Comment

Originally Posted by xwyman
                            Luna Controller is my best choice although the price is not reasonable much. I still want to find another one which is cheaper to purchase but haven't found one
                            Any suggestion???
                            You may want to check the clones of the official Xbox controllers, something like PowerA as an example. They are cheaper than the original devices, but look pretty similar. If you like Luna, you should check Xbox-like controllers.

Comment

Gotta agree with reWASDer whole-heartedly here. The only thing Luna has going for it might be construction/feel and that's only because I haven't used one so I can't speak to it. It's simply lacking too many features for it to even be considered for me. No gyro (huuuuuuge problem), no back buttons, no touchpads, no haptic actuators, basic triggers. It's just an Xbox knockoff, which is the most under-featured controller from the big three console makers.

That same $70 could get ya a DualSense or a Nintendo Pro Controller. You could save a little and go the PowerA route like reWASDer suggested. Or you could spend a little extra and grab a Flydigi Vader/Apex or Steam Controller. No matter which you choose you're getting more input sources. Gyro Aim is a must for playing anything with reflex based aiming, back buttons are integral for pretty much anything competitive, and extra buttons anywhere are necessary for playing PC-centric games on a controller. For instance, all 3 of those input sources are required for a comfortable Guild Wars 1 config.

I don't want to say you're wrong about the Luna. Everyone user has different needs and if a basic XInput device is fine for you then who am I to say you're playing games wrong. But some people aren't aware of how outdated the standard Xbox Controller is, as is every controller designed to emulate it (like the Stadia controller).

Comment

Working...
                              X