Better mouse emulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better mouse emulation?

Just bought the full version of this software as I was excited to finally find a controller mapper that has combined (almost) all of the features that I'm looking for.
    Started configuring my first profile and was quickly disappointed by the "not so good" quality of mouse cursor emulation.
    It's almost as if like it emulates 8 discrete mouse directions instead of moving the cursor in the direction my joystick is pointing at.
    The lack of a speed curve configuration was also a letdown. At least some accetable defaults/presets would have been nice, if not a full speed curve setting. (Devs, please have a look at how Xpadder does it )

To illustrate the difference between a mouse (1), Xpadder emulation (2) and reWASD emulation (3) I created these test images.

Mouse (800dpi):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse.png
Views:	1106
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	219425

Xpadder (sensitivity 100 on both axes):

Name:	xpadder.png
Views:	905
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	219426

reWASD (had to lower sensitivity as it was almost unusable for fine movement):

Name:	rewasd.png
Views:	944
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	219427

Clearly something is wrong with those corners. Shapes 3 and 4 illustrate my point the best. Also Shape 1 was all to easy to draw and the lines went straight even though my hand did not.

All that is to say that I'd really like to see a more "high fidelity" mouse emulation in reWASD

Hey there!

Please go to Advanced stick settings and minimize the range on both axes like it is shown here:

Name:	f86b7abd4c.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	219431

If it doesn't help, please send me your config so I could see the exact settings you have at the moment.
    Your configs are stored here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles
    I need the correspondent *.rewasd file

Comment

Oh wow, that has certainly improved the fidelity of cursor movement and my "circles drawing" ability
      The name of those two settings though - still not sure what they mean, just from their names.
      Could you please elaborate on the meaning of those two settings and also the curve from below? Or they are already documented somewhere?
      Assuming that is not the speed curve I'm looking for, is there any plan to have such a thing in the future? Maybe have this as another option and make it an actual curve (as opposed to segments) allow to alter it with 1-2 anchor points?

Comment

Great!

You can visit this guide to get more information about all advanced settings you see there.

Axes range sliders allows you to set the range in which a directional mappings is emulated exclusively. The default values are great for WASD, but to make a mouse smoother, it is better to minimize both.

Response (Custom) curve seems to be the speed curve you are looking for. The higher you set a point, the faster mouse moves. Also, the mouse accelerates by default when the stick is more deflected.

Comment

So I'm using the RStick setting with zero range on both axes for Shift 0 to make the mouse smoother, but then when I tried to set different bindings for the same stick on Shift 2, it no longer allows to set axis ranges and I get combined keystrokes for diagonal directions. This looks like it's trying to mimic WASD behavior, can it be avoided?

Shift 2:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	shift2.png Views:	6 Size:	98.9 KB ID:	219451

Again, Xpadder example (I know ). I'm looking for something like this, individually for each Shift:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	xpadder_rstick.png Views:	6 Size:	26.3 KB ID:	219452
          Ideally all of the 8 zones (4 directions + 4 diagonals) would be configurable, with range from 180 to 0 degrees per axis. For example 0 degrees for Horizontal axis would mean you only get Up/Down bindings.

PS: Why I can never edit my posts, to fix typos and stuff?
          Last edited by AniRayn; 14.05.2020, 13:11.

Comment

Originally Posted by AniRayn View Post
            PS: Why I can never edit my posts, to fix typos and stuff?
            As for you didn't have enough posts, you could edit your message only after it is approved. Your next posts won't need a moderation

So I'm using the RStick setting with zero range on both axes for Shift 0 to make the mouse smoother, but then when I tried to set different bindings for the same stick on Shift 2, it no longer allows to set axis ranges and I get combined keystrokes for diagonal directions
            Unfortunately, not at the moment. Axes range settings are the same for Main and Shift configuration. We will consider this suggestion, thanks for your feedback and use case.

Comment

Hello! We have released reWASD 5.5, and now you can set different axes rages for Main and Shifts. Please check the new version :satisfied: Hope to get any feedback from you.

The full changelog is here: https://forum.rewasd.com/forum/rewas...-and-many-more

Comment

Sweet! Thank you, guys! 😄

Sadly, I still can't replicate the same precision and response curve of the cursor movement that Xpadder has. So because of this (and a few other features ) I'm mostly using reWASD just to bind useful things to the Guide button. I feel like reWASD's cursor smoothness is superior, but the response curve requires a lot of tinkering to make it usable for all sorts of desktop tasks - clicking small buttons, selecting text etc.

Maybe if you guys add the following features, I'll finally be able to completely switch to reWASD

1. A "Go to Shift X" command, available in the combo editor and as a regular button command. (command to switch to another slot would be sweet too)
                Such a command would allow to just jump to any specific shift and have all the buttons unmapped/configurable.
                2. Ability to bind separate KB functions (or commands in general) to the 8 directions of the stick, with configurable "width" for the diagonals and the four main directions.
                3. Turbo when button is bound to Scroll Up/Down. Or at least configurable scroll rate.
                4. Ability to choose button combination for changing slots, instead of the default LB + View + x/y/a/b.

These are the main ones and I hope I'm not forgetting anything.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Hello!

1. Yes, we have this feature in mind, but I can't promise that it will be ready soon, stay tuned!

2. You can configure the shape using Vertical & Horizontal axes range + use Shortcuts for this.

3. There is no Turbo for scroll, yep, but you can tune the Scroll Speed (2) in Virtual devices (1) settings:

Name:	4ec740c671.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	221588

4. You can set custom 2- or 3-button hotkeys for Slots in Preferences, Slots tab.

Comment

1. Cool!
                    2. Will this save me from the "combined inputs" of RStick Up + RStick Left? Ok, for example if I have T on RStick Up, F on RStick Left and I also want R on RStick Left+Up. Were suggesting to bind T and F first, then create a shortcut for RStick Left + RStick Up for R?
                    3. This is cool, but looks like a found a use case even for Scroll with Turbo I have 2 buttons which I use for "regular speed" scrolling and two other buttons for very fast scrolling. Technically this could be accomplished by using a separate shift and having different scroll speed (?). Not sure what the setting below means by "sub-configs". But anyway, I would prefer to be able to have different scroll speeds on different buttons as I tend to keep my shifts logically separate for actions which are related. And I'm afraid that 4 shifts might not be enough for me in this case

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-20 203944.png Views:	1 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	221613
                    4. That's what I was looking for. Missed it in the settings.
                    Last edited by AniRayn; 20.09.2020, 18:44.

Comment

2. Hm, frankly speaking my recommendation doesn't work precisely as you need. So, the suggestion is taken into account, we will do the separate setting "8-diagonal stick" in one of the next versions.

3. The settings couldn't be changed for a Shift, it works for the whole sub-config (the one for a Gamepad in your case).

Comment

Hello AniRayn

We have released reWASD 5.6 that includes a Digital mode for sticks, in which you can add 8 separated mappings to the directions and diagonals of a stick.

Would be grateful if you could check this feature after the update :satisfied:

Comment

Working...
                        X