Support for gyro for Virtual DS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for gyro for Virtual DS3

First of all, thank you for implementing Virtual DS3. With sixaxis drivers, pressure sensitive buttons work like a charm in PS3 emulator RSPC3. Force feedback is also functioning nicely.

One last feature to make this solution complete is gyro support. This is not just for RPCS3 emulator but for PC games too (i can think of driving games and gyro aiming in FPS/action games that can benefit from this).

While Steam at the moment natively support DS3 it also lack gyro support for it. Couple with the fact that no PC games support DS3, one might wonder - what's the point? Well ... with reWASD able to create Virtual Switch PRO and Virtual DS4 ... one can create one of those from DS3 in order to get gyro working (when i create Virtual DS4 from Switch PRO controller, gyro of Switch PRO works perfectly in Virtual DS4).

So please add support for gyro for Virtual DS3 ... thank you for your consideration

DS3 only provides Z-axis (Yaw) data with its gyro. We are planning to support it in the future, but no ETA is set for this feature at the moment.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shion View Post
      DS3 only provides Z-axis (Yaw) data with its gyro. We are planning to support it in the future, but no ETA is set for this feature at the moment.
      Always one step ahead. Thank you.

PS. Please don't forget 3 accelerometers

Screenshot below is taken from RPCS3 GamePad Test using actual DS3 as Virtual DS3 (you can see pressure sensitive buttons working nicely). You can see values for gyro and accelerometers in top left corner - hopefully those will work in near future.

Thanks again for considering this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rpcs3.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	233920

Comment

Yeah, I saw in RPCS3 "motion controls" calibration that emulator has four values X, Y, Z, G for accelerometers, so I think it is possible at least to control camera (right stick) or being steering wheel with this support. Like they did it there:

Comment

Hello there! Update 6.3.1, where we added the Z axis (yaw) and accelerometer inheritance from physical DS3 to Virtual DS3, is now available.

Comment

Originally Posted by RAM Stealer View Post
            Hello there! Update 6.3.1, where we added the Z axis (yaw) and accelerometer inheritance from physical DS3 to Virtual DS3, is now available.
            Just tested Virtual DS3 in RPCS3:

1. using real DS3 - works like a charm
            2. using Switch PRO - works like a charm too ... nice to see gyro from non-DS3 controllers getting translated to Virtual DS3 gyro

thank you very much ... much obliged

one last thing on this gyro ... when using real DS3 ... is it possible for reWASD to use gyro:

1. for remapping - similar to what you can do with Switch PRO and DS4 gyro

2. when using read DS3 and creating Virtual Switch PRO/DS4, is it possible to translate DS3 gyro to gyro of Virtual Switch PRO/DS4 ... this way I can use real DS3 gyro in Steam as Virtual DS4/Switch PRO (as Steam does not recognize DS3 gyro)

Something like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	gyro.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	233998

Comment

Oh, that's awesome to hear, I'm glad everything works like charm

As for DS3 motion controls expansion, as far as I know, this gamepad might not have the hardware required: DS3 has a one-axis gyro and an accelerometer. Thus it is 'motion controls' specifically. But as I replied in another post, I'll have a chat with the team and will be back to you

Comment

If I recall correctly ... before Virtual DS3 existed ... on older reWASD versions ... when I connected DS3 - it was "represented" as DS4 ... gyro work then (even if I remap it to Virtual Switch PRO)

I distinctly remember it was super great as Steam did not support gyro on DS3 (but for DS4 and Switch it did) ... I am sure I have played Dead Space on Steam with "gyro aiming" (gyro get remap to mouse) using reWASD and DS3

PS: i tried to install 6.2.1 but it refuses to install with newer version (i have not time to uninstall ... as I am afraid I wont remember how to register reWASD)

Comment

To be honest, I don't remember reWASD having a virtual DS3 before. Or that reWASD would detect DS3 as DS4 with a gyroscope.

If you do not check the "Remove all" option when uninstalling reWASD, then your configs and activation data will not be deleted when you roll back to an earlier version.

In case something goes wrong, you can always find your serial number in your personal account. As a login, you should use the email that you specified during the purchase.​

Comment

It is generally impossible to map DS3 gyro to DS4/Switch Pro because it basically has 'none': gyroscope in DS3 is represented by just one low resolution Z-axis (yaw), so no pitch or roll. We can map just 3 axis of accelerometer only (for tilt, shakes etc), but note that accelerometer in DS3 has very low resolution and lot inferior to one in DS4 or Switch Pro. The experience would be subpar.
                    In theory, it is even possible to generate missing pitch/roll axis for DS4 based just on accelerometer changes in software, but such "gyro" will be hardly acceptable for normal use - it will be very jerky and unstable. It is always easy to emulate bad device from good one (eg. map DS4/Switch Pro to DS3) but reverse operation is hardly possible without some compromises.

Comment

I'll tag FlameMan as well, the comment from DevX right above should answer your question

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
                        To be honest, I don't remember reWASD having a virtual DS3 before. Or that reWASD would detect DS3 as DS4 with a gyroscope.

If you do not check the "Remove all" option when uninstalling reWASD, then your configs and activation data will not be deleted when you roll back to an earlier version.

In case something goes wrong, you can always find your serial number in your personal account. As a login, you should use the email that you specified during the purchase.​
                        Thanks for tip to preserve my licence and config.

I removed reWASD 6.3.1 and installed 6.2.1 ... you are right - real DS3 was not presented as DS4

I tried creating both Virtual DS4 and Switch from real DS3 ... then tried Dead Space on Steam with gyro aiming ... nothing was passed

I then recreated my old set up and install DsHidMini ... then tried again with both Virtual DS4 and Switch ... and game was getting gyro (as pointed out about DS3 gyro - only one reading was passed: horizontal scrolling) ... my guess, DsHiDMini was somehow passing it ... but its not a problem anymore since I wont be using DsHidMini

I uninstall DsHidMini and reWASD 6.2.1. Reinstall reWASD 6.3.1 and as expected no gyro pass from DS3 to Virtual DS4/Switch.

I must be getting too old to incorrectly remember this.

Originally Posted by DevX View Post
                        It is generally impossible to map DS3 gyro to DS4/Switch Pro because it basically has 'none': gyroscope in DS3 is represented by just one low resolution Z-axis (yaw), so no pitch or roll. We can map just 3 axis of accelerometer only (for tilt, shakes etc), but note that accelerometer in DS3 has very low resolution and lot inferior to one in DS4 or Switch Pro. The experience would be subpar.
                        In theory, it is even possible to generate missing pitch/roll axis for DS4 based just on accelerometer changes in software, but such "gyro" will be hardly acceptable for normal use - it will be very jerky and unstable. It is always easy to emulate bad device from good one (eg. map DS4/Switch Pro to DS3) but reverse operation is hardly possible without some compromises.
                        Got it ... only low res Z-axis gyro and 3 low res accelerometer ... though I am damn glad that Virtual DS3 able to pass all of that to RPCS3 to complete the PS3 emulation experience.

tbh ... when I got only Z-axis for gyro aiming from DS3 (Dead Space on Steam) ... it was good enough for couch gaming ... so if Virtual DS3 gets at least that, I am happy as it can be useful for driving games.

As for accelerometer ... it must have been feature not important enough not to include in Virtual DS4 and Virtual Switch PRO. So its ommission from Virtual DS3 does not bother me (as long as it is still passed to RPCS3) ... only games i can think that can use it are golf and fishing ... and even then - the game must be design for accelerometer for it to be useful.

I dont think using accelerometer and gyro at the same time is feasable ... and between those - i take gyro anyday.

In closing ... please just include Z-Axis Gyro in DS3

​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	gyro.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	234023

Comment

Originally Posted by DevX View Post
                          Hmm, so I think it's good to use gyro in one axis. Assign tilting to Left Stick's left-right, Right Stick's left-right and mouse move left-right. It will be good enough. I can use controller for driving like it was on the video which I have pasted before and small helping with aiming in shooters (usually I have problem with left/right calibration, not up/down so it will help anyway).

Comment

Ok, thank you for your ideas. We'll try to enhance DS3 experience somehow.

Comment

Ryochan7's DS4Windows 3.2.9 added support for gyro and accelerometer using Sony Sixaxis driver. Mouse/stick control works fine with left and right moves
                              (tilting). I would like to have such features in reWASD. Interesting fact for me is that according to DS4W calibration graph it's possible to draw common point on x and y axes using gyro/accelerometer in DualShock 3. So theoretically mouse movement up/down/left/right should be possible with DS3, but even DS4W programmers did not implement y axis moves, leaving only right/left. But I do not know how it works.

It's nice to see how all these applications working properly. Wireless connection via reWASD with applied virtual DS3 controller with official Sony Driver is visible in DS4Windows where I can remap gyro to mouse (left-right movement) or remap to virtual DS4 controller and open SteamInput where DS4's gyro is controlling mouse cursor (left-right). What is the best that both gyros (DS3 mouse vs DS4 mouse) are moving nearly the same. So many signal translations but controller is working fine without noticible delays. Ofc, I will not use it with three applications, but it's nice to see how high quality is reWASD, not spoiling or cutting anything in between. Who knows, maybe someday even it will be possible to remap DS3 to DS4 gyro directly in reWASD (even if it will be only left/right moves).

Comment

Working...
                              X