Key Combo Reverse Release Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Combo Reverse Release Order

Basically, the problem is that modifier key in key combo gets released before the modified key (for example for LShift+B combo that sequence would be LShift press, B press, LShift release, B release). It results in game detecting the last input as unmodified key. Proper way would be to release the modifier last, but I couldn't find anything in key combo editor.
    Post with 1 views. reWASD Key Combo Bug

Hello!

Yes, you are right, all the keys are released in an original order. We will think what is possible to do here from our side.

In the meantime, do you need your combo to be held while you hold a button? Or maybe just some exact amount of a time?
    In the second case, you may try something like this, add a duration of the combination and use it in Execute at once mode:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ecfbb26e1d.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.7 KB ID:	218989

Comment

Yeah, the problem is that I need it to be held. Glad to say I actually found a rough workaround. Now, if you were to add the right control into the end of the aforementioned sequence (so now it would look like LCtrl+B+RCtrl in "Hold until release" mode), that sequence would start AND end with a modifer key. Which works perfectly! Hopefuly someone finds this useful.

Obviously, not every game would consider left and right modifiers equal and as such, we need the posibility to customize the release order of keys.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	412
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	218993

Comment

Hello,
        Thank you for your workaround, Pretty elegant. As my colleague said, we will think how to manage it from our side.

Have a great gaming experience.
        Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hi! I also have the same issue, and unfortunately the LCtrl / RCtrl hack does not apply to the game I'm playing.

Has there been any update on this since 2020?

I can't seem to make any other workaround work. I tried having keys as "Execute all at once" press down in pressing, and press up in releasing, but I can't seem to "untie" the up and down actions -- aka I can't have a press only or a release only. As an alternative to the reverse order, is there some way to do that?

I'm so close from getting the mapping I want, but if I can't get this to work I won't be purchasing reWASD unfortunately.

Comment

It doesn't look like anything was changed in this regard yet.

Could you please specify what situation requires a reverse order to release the keys?

In this particular case, [CTRL] and [B] keys are being released literally at the same time with not even 1ms between them, so there shouldn't be any CTRL-less "B" inputs unless the game runs at over 1000 FPS.

but I can't seem to "untie" the up and down actions -- aka I can't have a press only or a release only
            It is impossible to press a key with one mapping and release it with another in reWASD yet (unless that button is analog).

Comment

Oops, the forum doesn't let me edit for my reply some reason so here is a repost with more clarity:

Originally Posted by Shion View Post
              It doesn't look like anything was changed in this regard yet.

Could you please specify what situation requires a reverse order to release the keys?

In this particular case, [CTRL] and [B] keys are being released literally at the same time with not even 1ms between them, so there shouldn't be any CTRL-less "B" inputs unless the game runs at over 1000 FPS.

It is impossible to press a key with one mapping and release it with another in reWASD yet.
              Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

The context: a game where you first hold to enter an action mode then pick a D-pad direction to choose a set of actions. But pressing a D-pad direction without has some other impacts, like even opening a menu. (e.g.: + = Action Bar 2, but alone = Open Menu)

In other words, my ideal mapping is:
              = Press then press ​
              = Release ​ then release

I just tried it again and unfortunately your comment doesn't seem to be true in practice. I can definitely confirm that on release, the game registers the second input () without the first one () being still pressed hence opening a menu, even though it's running capped at 60FPS. Here's the simple setup (this is a combo on "Start Press"):

​
              I even tried switching to "Execute at once" just to get access to the "Delay between keys" option and set it to 0ms then switch back, but it doesn't seem to have any impact.

I've spent literally hours trying a combination of things for workaround and I can't figure anything at this point. I even tried editing the JSON file manually to separate the up/down keys, but it didn't work.

Unless you have some other idea, the only two ways I see to support this are either:

a) Give the user a toggle to reverse the release order OR
              b) Give the user the ability to send only a press/release by itself, so we can configure that manually using both the "Start Press" and "Release Press" handlers

I understood from other forum threads that the developers opted against b) fearing it might cause glitchy "stuck" keys, but as a power user (like most people who remap their hardware keys, tbh) I'd really appreciate the option as I know what I'm doing, maybe just hidden behind a warning?

Anyway, very open to any other idea if there's something simpler that can already be done!​

Comment

What game are we talking about? And could you also upload the config file you are using? Your screenshot suggests a possibility of misconfiguration.

Comment

What game are we talking about? And could you also upload the config file you are using? Your screenshot suggests a possibility of misconfiguration.
                  Hogwarts Legacy. I'm not at my gaming PC right now, what about my screenshot suggests misconfiguration? I could try edits later.

Comment

The [Combo] mapping is set on a first Shift layer. The issue might be related to the [Re-press the held button when switching the Shift layer] option at [Preferences > General] or to the button used for jumping to the first Shift layer.

Comment

The [Combo] mapping is set on a first Shift layer. The issue might be related to the [Re-press the held button when switching the Shift layer] option at [Preferences > General] or to the button used for jumping to the first Shift layer.
                      Thanks again for the quick followup. I'm not sure how you inferred this from the screenshot but I just verified and my combo is not on a shift layer as far as I know. Just in case, I tried disabling "Re-press the held button when switching the Shift layer" option, but it did not help, the issue persists.

Joining the configuration file if you want to have a look yourself.

Just to be one step ahead: I wondered if the issue was that I was mapping a combo to the trigger itself which could maybe somehow trip up the game (although I do have unmapped in reWASD), however this doesn't seem to be the issue, as the same thing happens with this combo regardless of which key I map it on.

Again, I appreciate the help!
                      Attached Files

Comment

You have both and remapped to a combination of and a D-Pad button. And since both buttons are muted, when you press and together and release one of them, it results in a release of , leaving the D-Pad button from another mapping pressed.

I can't say if it is a bug or not yet, but there is a workaround:
                        • Remap Single Press activators of both triggers to (you can use the Native remapping too).
                        • Remap Start Press activator to a Combo of the corresponding D-Pad button in Hold mode.
                        This will still result in a brief release of when you release one of the triggers while holding the other one, but it shouldn't result in only a D-Pad button being pressed as much, if at all.

Since this issue most likely comes from being an analog button, another workaround would be to set another button to act as a menu modifier in the game (for example, replace with in game`s options).

Comment

You have both and remapped to a combination of and a D-Pad button. And since both buttons are muted, when you press and together and release one of them, it results in a release of , leaving the D-Pad button from another mapping pressed.

I can't say if it is a bug or not yet, but there is a workaround:
                          • Remap Single Press activators of both triggers to (you can use the Native remapping too).
                          • Remap Start Press activator to a Combo of the corresponding D-Pad button in Hold mode.
                          This will still result in a brief release of when you release one of the triggers while holding the other one, but it shouldn't result in only a D-Pad button being pressed as much, if at all.

Since this issue most likely comes from being an analog button, another workaround would be to set another button to act as a menu modifier in the game (for example, replace with in game`s options).
                          Thanks for the explanation and tentative workaround, however I'm afraid this is still not the issue.

The problem persists even if I only use , and even if I put it on any other button. I can create a layout with nothing but the combo, and map it to say , and with the combo release all held, the game still sees a single input.

Comment

Can you provide a video of this happening with in-game controls related to and , reWASD config, the issue itself and the Gamepad Tester would be clearly visible?

Comment

Can you provide a video of this happening with in-game controls related to and , reWASD config, the issue itself and the Gamepad Tester would be clearly visible?
                              Sure, here you go: https://streamable.com/65ej6c

In this video, I create a brand new empty layout, map to + in Hold until release, then go in game and press a few times with the Gamepad Tester clearly in view.

You'll see a spell menu opening every time. The spell menu is what opens when is pressed by itself. But it does not open with + are pressed together.

Comment

Working...
                              X