Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dualshock 3 driver without analog triggers

Hello,

I was using my new Dualshock 3 gamepad with default reWADS driver for long time and I thought that main features like pressure sensitive buttons and even analog triggers are not working properly in my device. But today I wanted to try some PS2/3 emulators where pressure sensitive buttons so started to search alternative drivers (hoping that it will help). And I was shocked. DsHidMini driver unlocked everything what was missing for my device in reWASD driver! Especially triggers (R2, L2)! Unfortunately, it locked possibility to use reWASD application - reWASD is not seeing device. Analog triggers are important for me, so probably I will stay with DsHidMini driver for longer time, especially that configuration works fine with Steam. But I don't want to stop using reWASD.

And there is a question. Is it possible to make reWASD to work with DsHidMini driver (+BthPS3)? Or fix PS3 controller driver to recognize at least analog triggers (pressure sensitive buttons with soft/full press would be a dream, but probably it's not your aim now). Triggers with reWASD driver works for me like digital buttons with state 1 and 0, nothing in between.

I am sending screenshots and logs, maybe it will help. I don't want to lose possibility of play with reWASD.

Screenshot with reWASD driver:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rewasd_driver.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	226402

Screenshot after installing better drivers:Click image for larger version

Name:	DsHidMini_driver.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	226403 Thank you in advance!

Attached Files

Hey there!

reWASD supports analog triggers of DS3. That is a big surprise that you have never used them with our app, oops. Also, we are planning to add support for the face buttons of DS3 (that are also analog).

But, reWASD should be the only third-party driver for your device. Also, you need to install the native PS Now drivers — they will give you the analog behavior in joy.cpl, and it will STILL be usable in reWASD. But reWASD can still see analog triggers even without PS Now driver and no matter what you see in joy.cpl. joy.cpl reflects only what DirectInput games can see. But reWASD accesses device directly without DirectInput. Just test buttons and triggers in reWASD GUI and make sure they work. You will see "Zones" option in reWASD that indicates that we see the triggers as analog ones.

Comment

Ah, thank you for explaining. Checked now and ReWASD is reading triggers signals properly. All works properly. My fault, I'm sorry for confusion.
      I was using joy.cpl as tester, but it seems that it's not good tool for doing this.

And I'm very happy to hear that DS3 analog face buttons will be supported in reWASD. I can't wait for it! Soft/Full press face buttons will be a big game changer for my configs, like aiming before throwing nade, toggling run/sneak and crouch/crawl in one button or even setting classic ps3 controls in old PC games. Very useful!

Comment

It will be possible, yes

Yep, this feature will allow a lot of new features to be implemented for the different press states, the great remapping will start.

Comment

Hey there!

Since reWASD 5.8, our app supports DS3 analog face buttons and lets you add up to 3 more mappings to each one. Would be grateful if you check it
          Other cool things we have added today are described here.

Comment

This was put on version 5.8 release
            "Did you know that the DS3 controller has 10 analog buttons in addition to triggers? Now you will be able to map up to 3 new actions to their zones! FlameMan, thank you for the suggestion"

This really only matters for PS2 and PS3 emulators as only those consoles have this. That said, its the reason i am considering ReWASD now instead of Steam Input i used before for my emulation needs.

Steam fell short in certain aspects (does not support DS3 in wireless mode without external tools ... once controller disconnected - connecting controller back does not restore binding) which ReWASD seems to address.

Last frontier for me is pressure sensitive buttons. So this is my suggestions:

1. Both PCSX2 and RPCS3 support DS3 directly (wired with Sony drivers or wirelessly with DsHidMini as FlameMan mentioned ...https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?tit..._Configuration ). So providing Virtual DS3 mode is a best option in my opinion for ppl who have DS3 ... just passthrough what controller does to emulator (and possibly provide keyboard binding for certain button combination ... so can control other aspect of emulation like soft resetting or exiting emulation without need of keyboard ... aka total couch experience without clumsy keyboard)

2. In absence of DS3 ... its really hard to emulate all 10 buttons at same time ... but i dont think one ever use more than two pressure sensitive button at a time (likely only one)

So here are suggestions:

(a) soft/full press of button A: press button A - soft press ... press button A with combination of other button (likely sholder bump or sholder trigger) - full press

It should address Metal Gear Solid controls, which is most referenced game when talking about this ... hold button to aim ... while holding button press Right L1 to fire

(b) full range press of button A: press button A - mimum range of A is engaged ... while A pressed use one of Shoulder Triggers to specify range of A

Thank you for considering this

Comment

just rechecked my info:

1. RPCS3 is the only playable PS3 emulator ... and it support Sony DS3 drivers ... it also support DsHidMini (https://github.com/ViGEm/DsHidMini)

More details here
              Before we begin, download the GamePad Test homebrew which will help visualise motion and pressure-sensitive information received by RPCS3 and can be used for troubleshooting. [Source]

2. PCSX2 is the only playable PS2 emulator ... and at the moment it does not support Sony DS3 drivers (though its beeing requested https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/4918) ... it only supports libusb and DsHidMini

More details here https://wiki.pcsx2.net/LilyPad#Setti...ect_Connection

So need ReWASD to either emulate DsHidMini driver (covers all current needs) ... or emulate Sony driver (covers only PS3 emulation ... with possible PS2 emulation support in the future)

Just reminder that pressure sensitive face buttons are only feature of PS2 and PS3 ... hence only those controllers have this feature and only games for those consoles have support for them.

Theoretically, for PC games ... can assign turbo fire rate based on pressure applied ... but this might be not so attractive as not many real DS3 are available now with mostly fakes with no pressure sensitive buttons on sale everywhere

DS4 and Dual Sence have no pressure sensitive buttons

Comment

Hello!

We will consider creating virtual DS3 later but note that reWASD creates just virtual device and not "emulates" any drivers. This means, you will be able to install either Sony driver, libusb or any other 3rd party driver on it, including DsHidMini. This is a big task, so I won't promise you any fast solutions, still, the suggestion is taken into account. Stay tuned!

Comment

Thanks for feedback ... virtual DS3 should be able to support Sony drivers ... not sure about DsHidMini as it presents DS3 to OS as HID not as controller.

In long run ... virtual DS3 with Sony drivers is an ideal neatest and logical solution. As mentioned before, RPCS3 already supports Sony drivers. Problem is PCSX2 ... its an open-source project ... so timeframe is unpredictable, especially with DsHidMini solution already working (nothing against PCSX2 team ... they doing great job ... but have different priorities).

Again, DS3 is really only relevant to RPCS3 and PCSX2 ... nothing else uses or will ever use those pressure sensitive stuff. I think the reason Sony drivers were not so interesting in first place is because they dont support wireless (and likely never will). Your solution to this might not hold any weight to PCSX2 team as it is a paid solution in their open-source framework.

So maybe virtual HID device? (dont laugh if it sounds stupid ... i am not expert at these things lol) ... this might also be usable for other gaming peripherals that present themselves as HID.

Comment

We do look forward to supporting the virtual Dualshock, we will attempt to implement it in reWASD.

Unfortunately, there is no ETA for now, it is definitely not the next update, but stay tuned for updates

Comment

Thanks ... eagerly await Virtual Dualshock3 with patience

One more question ... is it possible to have "profiles" for Virtual Controllers ... each with different drivers (one with Sony for RPXS3 and one with DsHidMini for PCSX2) ... does "Slot" feature of ReWASD support this?

Comment

In case it is implemented in reWASD (virtual DualShock3), we will not use any 3rd-party drivers. Moreover, multiple ones, since reWASD has its own driver.

Thank you for the understanding.

Regarding the slots feature - it allows you to switch between configs, so basically, you can apply 2 configs with 2 different controller types.

Comment

You will see new Dualshock 3 device in your system connected via USB and it will work as real one with default HID drivers in Windows. It can be used as is by applications which understand it (eg. PS Now) but it is up to you if you want to install any other 3rd party driver for it. This is beyond the scope of reWASD and we do not install or control any 3rd party drivers.

Comment

Would it possible to use DS3 as Virtual DS3 wirelessly after initial pairing via USB?

Atm this can be done with DS3 as Virtual DS4.

Comment

Yes, it will be absolutely possible, since all the controllers we support in both modes can be used with any virtual controller available in reWASD. The same is going to happen with the virtual DualShock

Comment

Working...
                              X