Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long presses, touch + click on same section, and shortcut inputs being passed to game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long presses, touch + click on same section, and shortcut inputs being passed to game

Getting a handle on using this for my Dualshock + Dualsense, but have two issues where it operates quite a bit differently than Steam Input/DS4Windows when using the touchpad (or I'm just using it wrong?):

1. Long press. In Steam input, how this worked is holding down a section of the touchpad after the defined long-press time would send that mapped input to the game. In Rewasd, the mapping only seems to be sent after I let go of the touchpad after the long press. For example, mapping the upper-left quadrant to f5 quicksave - in Steam, I press and hold the touchpad, and F5 will be sent to the game after the determined period while my finder is still depressing the touchpad, the game's notification that it's saved is how I know I've held it long enough. With Rewasd, it only is sent after I let go after the long press, any way to make it behave like the former?

2. There are cases where I want to have a command using click on the touchpad, but also a combo where I just use touch. An example is when using DS4 Windows, a familiar config I would have is to map the left/right halves of the touchpad to the Xbox menu/start just because those small buttons on the DS4 are a pain to activate. But, I would simultaneously have a mapping where I would just rest my finger on the touchpad in combination with another key, in my particular case to show/hide Rivatuner overlay with touchpad touch + left dpad. I can't seem to find a way to do that with Rewasd, even if the shotcut is on an unused quadrant of the touchpad, as soon as I select "require click", it then seems to mean any previous mapping/shortcut on the trackpad now requires a click as well.

3. With shortcuts on Rewasd, the individual components of the shortcut are still sent to the game. Same example as above, with DS4 Windows/Steam Input and my touchpad touch+left dpad mapping to activate Rivatuner, activating that combo would just send the final activation key to the app/game, in this case I would map that combo to End which I have set to show/hide Rivatuner. The game however, would not react to the dpad as if it was pressed separately, the combo would basically hide it as I would expect. in Rewasd though, the same combo sends the left dpad input to the game - I'll have Rivatuner's stats show/hide, but the game will also register the dpad left as if I pressed it separately. Is there a way to obscure the shortcut combo keys from the foreground app, like how is works in DS4Windows/Steam Input?

Hello!
    1. Long press is triggered when a key is released, if other mappings are set on it (double press, start press, etc.). This is a feature that allows it not to conflict with other mappings on that button. Remove them and it will work immediately.
    2. This can be done using shortcuts. Create a Tap shortcut on the desired touchpad zone + Touchpad Click.
    3. This problem can be solved if you add a Mute to the dpad key and remap it to the same value. We will fix this in a future update.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_6.png
Views:	291
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	231933

Comment

Originally Posted by RAM Stealer View Post
      Hello!
      1. Long press is triggered when a key is released, if other mappings are set on it (double press, start press, etc.). This is a feature that allows it not to conflict with other mappings on that button. Remove them and it will work immediately.
      2. This can be done using shortcuts. Create a Tap shortcut on the desired touchpad zone + Touchpad Click.
      3. This problem can be solved if you add a Mute to the dpad key and remap it to the same value. We will fix this in a future update.

Name:	Screenshot_6.png
Views:	291
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	231933
      Thank you! The dpad and touchpad click/touch are working as expected now.

As for #1, I think I might disagree on whether this level of safeguarding is absolutely necessary. I mean I can definitely mess up my mappings easily enough with any of these types of utilities simply due to the complexity of mapping a control scheme with thousands of potential combos onto a gamepad with ~16 buttons, there's always going to be that risk to cock things up. The fact of the matter is with Steam I can just specify the hold time to activate the command when it's being mapped (again I may be missing this functionality though), as opposed to Rewasd which seems to restrict you defining the length that hold activates just per profile.

So yeah, I have the 'danger' through Steam Input of setting too short a hold depress window where the hold action + regular press are activated at the same time, but it's pretty clear when that happens and how to resolve it. As it stands I can activate click on half of the trackpad to bring up the menu, then just specify the slider length of time it takes to also add a hold activation to same section - the length is tailored long enough so I never get that conflict and don't have to release the touchpad to activate it.

I would suggest perhaps adding a checkmark option to 'Require release to activate' in the hold mapping window, and perhaps there also be able specify the length required of the hold to send the command?

Also perhaps adding left/right halve happings of the trackpad, the quadrants are nice but they require me to duplicate mappings when I don't need that level of granularity.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hey there!
        As RAM Stealer already mentioned, this protection against mapping conflicts on different activators of the same button was done intentionally.
        If you remove unnecessary activators and assign mapping only to the Long Press activator, you will not have to wait for the release of the button to play the command (mapping).

You can also set a Long Press time for this activator by going to Press time. Then the mapping will work after holding the button for the time period that you assigned in Preferences.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
          Hey there!
          As RAM Stealer already mentioned, this protection against mapping conflicts on different activators of the same button was done intentionally.
          If you remove unnecessary activators and assign mapping only to the Long Press activator, you will not have to wait for the release of the button to play the command (mapping).
          I guess I'm confused as to what "activators" are in this context then, or this is replying to my first post and not my follow-up. What I want is to:

1) Have an activator for click on one half of the trackpad to bring up the menu/options.
          2) Have a long press activator on that same trackpad half for another command, like quicksave - and it activates for the long press time, not long press + release.
          You can also set a Long Press time for this activator by going to Press time. Then the mapping will work after holding the button for the time period that you assigned in Preferences.
          Yes, I noted that - but doesn't that only affect the long press time for all long press activators for that profile? Can you set a different hold time for each long press mapping in a profile seperately?

Comment

It seems like some kind of misunderstanding.

What you want can be achieved in several ways:
            1. You can map the action of opening Menu/Options to a Single Press click on the half of the trackpad you want. And then assign Quicksave to the Long Press activator of the same button. This way, you don't have to wait for the button to be released. A single press will open the Menu, and a long press will trigger QuickSave.
            2. You can try Shift Mode.
            Where in the main configuration layer, clicking on the trackpad will bring up a menu, and in another Shift layer, you can assign a Quicksave to the same click or to Long Press of this half of the trackpad. This is a less convenient option, but it has its place.

As for the Press Time parameter. You are right, this is the same value for all profiles.
            However, we already have plans to implement a separate Press Time slider for each config/button.
            But now I cannot give an approximate timeframe for the implementation of this option.
            Stay tuned!

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
              It seems like some kind of misunderstanding.

What you want can be achieved in several ways:
              1. You can map the action of opening Menu/Options to a Single Press click on the half of the trackpad you want. And then assign Quicksave to the Long Press activator of the same button. This way, you don't have to wait for the button to be released. A single press will open the Menu, and a long press will trigger QuickSave.
              Just can't get it to work like that unfortunately. I've removed any additional shortcuts from the touchpad, and just have it setup as single click press activates the menu button, which works fine. Select long-press for F5 however, and it's not sent to the game until I let me finger up from the trackpad.

I'll try the Shift Mode however.

As for the Press Time parameter. You are right, this is the same value for all profiles.
              However, we already have plans to implement a separate Press Time slider for each config/button.
              But now I cannot give an approximate timeframe for the implementation of this option.
              Stay tuned!
              Good to hear, thanks!

Comment

Originally Posted by Fragment Shader View Post

Just can't get it to work like that unfortunately. I've removed any additional shortcuts from the touchpad, and just have it setup as single click press activates the menu button, which works fine. Select long-press for F5 however, and it's not sent to the game until I let me finger up from the trackpad.
                Hello!

Please send me the config with your setup for Home which doesn't work as expected. I am trying to repeat the same behavior but I can't — the Long Press mapping works after Long Press time finished, no need to release the finger. The easiest way to get a config is to use the context menu here:

Name:	4aff201a80.png
Views:	388
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	231956

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post

Hello!

Please send me the config with your setup for Home which doesn't work as expected. I am trying to repeat the same behavior but I can't — the Long Press mapping works after Long Press time finished, no need to release the finger. The easiest way to get a config is to use the context menu here:

Name:	4aff201a80.png
Views:	388
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	231956

Thank you, but I already blew away the config and started clean - now it works as intended.

Comment

Good news actually! Please let me know if you notice something strange

Comment

I would suggest perhaps adding a checkmark option to 'Require release to activate' in the hold mapping window, and perhaps there also be able specify the length required of the hold to send the command tellculvers com survey taco bell breakfast hours
                      Last edited by shedsur; 12.07.2022, 11:19.

Comment

Hello! Please specify what you mean by hold mapping window. Also, describe in more detail where can it be useful.

Comment

Working...
                        X