Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can one used ReWASD to eliminate a game's AXIAL dead zones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can one used ReWASD to eliminate a game's AXIAL dead zones?

So I already learned how to use ReWASD to create a general "anti-deadzone", and that's great I do it all the time on almost every single game, but lately I've run into two games which have HEAVY axial deadzones (The Outer Worlds and Terminator: Resistance), what that means is that the games implement a cross-shaped deadzone to make it easier for a player to move left/right and up/down without veering off to the sides...

...however in those games the axial deadzones are so big it actually makes moving the camera diagonally a bit tedious, so I was wondering if there is any way to mitigate this with ReWASD. I already use the anti-deadzone and a custom curve in both games, and that works great, but the game's built-in axial deadzones aren't affected by that.

Greetings!
    It looks like it's a 'you live, you learn' situation because today I learned about what axial deadzone is After I read your post, I had to dig deeper into YouTube, and now what you described makes way more sense.
    From what I can tell now, reWASD can't modify the axial deadzone. We have something similar for physical stick mapped to WASD: it is Vertical and Horizontal axis range, but this does not apply to analog inputs (mouse and sticks). I assume you have already minimized Axial deadzone setting in-games, but if you didn't — that would be my first suggestion. I'll make a note about this feature, and see if we can implement it in the future, but it's way too early to talk about the ETA right now.
    Thank you for bringing our attention to it!

Comment

Originally Posted by ✨Master Of Configs✨ View Post
      Greetings!
      It looks like it's a 'you live, you learn' situation because today I learned about what axial deadzone is After I read your post, I had to dig deeper into YouTube, and now what you described makes way more sense.
      From what I can tell now, reWASD can't modify the axial deadzone. We have something similar for physical stick mapped to WASD: it is Vertical and Horizontal axis range, but this does not apply to analog inputs (mouse and sticks). I assume you have already minimized Axial deadzone setting in-games, but if you didn't — that would be my first suggestion. I'll make a note about this feature, and see if we can implement it in the future, but it's way too early to talk about the ETA right now.
      Thank you for bringing our attention to it!
      Sure, no problem. Devs implement axial deadzones so that when the player inputs "up" (foward) the character will move foward instead of zig-zag, or if the player wants to line up a shot and needs to move his cursor to the left or right he can "slam" the analog stick to that direction and he'll get left or right instead of a diagonal input, even though the stick itself won't physically be perfectly at east or west position.

The problem happens when they implement it too aggressively and it reads even a diagonal input as a cardinal direction; and it's also equally annoying when there is NO axial deadzone whatsoever. For example, have you ever played a game and you find that every time you want to move your camera to the left or right it starts going diagonally because you didn't move the stick perfectly? That's a game with ZERO axial deadzones. So it's a necessary thing, not just a quality of life feature but when implemented properly it actually helps players aim better, but when implemented too aggressively it reduces diagonal movement and that can be annoying.

Easy way to test out a game's axial deadzones is move the right analog stick left or right and then slowly start circling upwards or downwards and see how long it takes the game camera to move diagonally.​

Comment

Working...
      X