Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't swap the yaw and roll axes on a Joy-Con controller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Miron4ik42 View Post
    I would like to start with the fact that you don't need to go to Preferences every time and change this parameter. As I mentioned before, we have a special command for this action.

Then, I will try to clear the air with "Yaw" and "Roll" modes. So, based on your first video, where you adjusted Yaw mode and tilted the controller forwards and backward, it seems that X-axis doesn't work. but it should not work in this mode, as you should tilt the controller as a steering wheel in this case.

After you have changed the mode to Roll, you start to tilt the controller as a steering wheel, but in this mode, you already need just tilt the controller.

The gyroscope may also be inoperative if you accidentally hit the axis

I also added the picture that might help to figure it out how it works in reWASD

I suggest setting up the mode in the Preferences and leaving from that page. Then, add the command and switch between modes on the fly. I guess that the difference will be more clearly
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	154.9 KB ID:	237493
    Thank you Miron for your advices. I have read them very carefully and both your written post and your picture will help me to better contextualize the issue.
    The "Pitch Axis" (move the 'nose' of the controller 'up and down'), indeed, does not give any problem. In addition, as you well comment, that axis is preset and cannot be modified.
    My issue is that my controller only recognizes the "Roll Axis" regardless of whether I configure it in reWASD in the "General --- Gamepads" tab as 'Roll' or as 'Yaw'. The same thing happens with the "Gyro steering axis" command option. It's as if that function was overridden in the software or was somehow blocked in "Roll Axis". I just need to be able to use my controller in "Yaw Axis" mode; I don't need to switch between both axes. 😊​

Comment

Originally Posted by jeynos View Post
      I use Joy-Con on reWASD a lot and for me the Gyro Steering Axis toggle in Preferences > Gamepads works as it is supposed to. I can also confirm that this works with singular JoyCon and not only grouped (two) JoyCon. Here is a video of me showing how it works on Roll (default) and then switched to Yaw https://youtu.be/CajBTcMQkrk?t=215 (timestamp 3:55)
      Thank you very much, Jeynos, for your video. If you knew the "hundreds" of times I've seen it, trying to achieve what you achieve with your controller... 😊👌

Comment

Last night I reflected on a specific aspect of this issue. I don't know if this can help you.
        I've a PC and a laptop; my brother has a laptop. On these three computers the reWASD software is installed (each one with its corresponding license). The issue reproduces equally on these three computers. But, in all three of them I had previously installed both "BetterJoyForCemu" (v7.1) and "PadTest" (v1.0.1.1). I uninstalled both of them prior to installing reWASD. Also I cleaned Windows 10 registry manually (without any 3rd party software). Could there have been traces of these software that are causing the problem? I have checked again the Windows 10 registry and I have not found anything, but I do not know if I'm looking for the correct items. Could you tell me (if my issue were for those remains of those software) what would they be to search for and erase?​

Comment

Installing reWASD on a clean Windows might be the best way to understand the core of the issues.

Comment

Hi.
            I have created a backup of my OS before doing the tests. With it done, I have taken advantage of the fact that I had another previous backup in which there was no 3rd party software installed and the issues persist. So, I have installed Windows 10 from 0 (clean installation 100%) but when I start reWASD it tells me that I have to revoke the license of the PC. And if I make that revocation I have to wait 6 months until I can exercise it again. Before this situation I have not dared to revoke my PC license, that the issues could be due to a Windows 10 update (for example), and having to reinstall all the softwares on my computer. Reinstalling everything is a task that takes me between 4 and 5 days that I don't have because I'm leaving shortly on holydays. Therefore, I have recovered the backup that I created yesterday.
            I don't know if it will serve as a guide but my brother's computer only has Windows 10, Office Enterprise 2007, Steam and the game DiRT Rally 2.0 installed (I also have these software installed on my two computers, as well as others). These same issues are also reproduced on my brother's computer. My brother has a controller "Nintendo Switch Pro Controller" and also with that controller the same thing happens that with my Joy-con. Both drivers on all three computers have these issues equally.​

Comment

I'm afraid that I don't fully understand the issue you have. I would appreciate it if you could describe how it should work in the end. As far as I understand, the gyro of your Joycon works as described.

You can also record a video or describe how it should work in the game exactly.

Comment

I'm Spanish and I write more or less well in English but I don't speak it. I will try to explain the issue as best I can. Does any of you understand spoken Spanish, who can translate (if you need it) what I say in a spoken video that I would make where I explain the issue?

Comment

Originally Posted by Santi-Tetra View Post

Thank you very much, Jeynos, for your video. If you knew the "hundreds" of times I've seen it, trying to achieve what you achieve with your controller... 😊👌
                  Hey, I realized the video I sent was using gyro to mouse, not Gamepad like your videos. So I wanted to go check and see if I can recreate the issue you have and you are right the steering axis does not work for Yaw when using gamepad input. I have made some videos to show this bug. All of this is using official Switch JoyCon.

First off, here is a video showing the difference between Gyro mode and Tilt mode as I think it may help you with what you are trying to do​

As you can see, in Gyro mode every movement gets sent as it's own input and it is not continuous unless you continue moving. In Tilt mode it continually gives input as long as you tilt away from the 'center point' like an analog stick does. The center point is the position the JoyCon is in when gyro is turned on, for this reason I think it is helpful to have a button mapped to 'Toggle Gyro On/Off' so you can easily set a new 'center' point if neccessary.

Ok here is the video showing the issue:

First I show that reWASD has it's Gyro Steering Axis set to Roll, and in game it works correctly with Roll giving right to left movement. Pitch is inverted but still works correctly(can be easily fixed in reWASD), and Yaw gives no input at all.

Then I go back to reWASD and switch Gyro Steering Axis to Yaw and go back into the game and you can see everything is exactly the same. Roll gives left-right X-axis movement, and Yaw still does nothing and gives no input.​

Then I went back and made another config using Gyro to Mouse to see if it has the same issue, and Mouse does not have the same problem.

Here I show that when using a mouse config, both Yaw and Roll Steering Axis work correctly.

So the issue is that when using Xinput gamepad config the Yaw / Roll Steering toggle does not work, it is always on Roll regardless of what is set.

I think this is a reWASD bug so hopefully it can be fixed.​

I have attached both configs I used to do these tests

Attached Files

Comment

I just recorded a video with the use that I am giving to the Joy-con controller. Forgive you to me my lousy spoken english. I have put all the good will that I could. 😃😉
                    I hope it can help you better understand the issue I've with the Joy-con controller and the final use I want to give it 😉​

Thak you for everything!!!​

Comment

Santi-Tetra jeynos Thanks for all the information you provided.
                      We will research it and try to get back with news as soon as possible.​

Comment

Check on Monday.

Comment

Originally Posted by Santi-Tetra View Post
                          I just recorded a video with the use that I am giving to the Joy-con controller. Forgive you to me my lousy spoken english. I have put all the good will that I could. 😃😉
                          I hope it can help you better understand the issue I've with the Joy-con controller and the final use I want to give it 😉​

Thak you for everything!!!​
                          Ah, that is a very interesting use of the JoyCon! I think this will indeed be possible once the Yaw axis is working correctly. I still think it will be helpful to have a button set to 'Toggle Gyro On/Off' to reset the center point when necessary

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
                            Santi-Tetra jeynos Thanks for all the information you provided.
                            We will research it and try to get back with news as soon as possible.​
                            Np! Let me know if there's any other testing I can do on this

Comment

Santi-Tetra
                              Hello again

I've doubled checked info about swapping the yaw and roll axes on a Joy-Con controller with guys from reWASD, and I was informed that this option really doesn't work in Tilt mode. I guess that it will be added some notification in the GUI that this option is not working.

However, if you are using tilt mode, the Reset Tilt command must be applied when changing the position of the gamepad from horizontal to vertical (and back again)
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	207
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	237549
                              You can add this common to any key of your joycon ​

Comment

Yep, I can confirm that Yaw steering axis does not work in any tilt mode even on Mouse, only on Gyro mode. So it has nothing to do with whether it is controller or mouse input but only if using Gyro Mode or Tilt Mode

Comment

Working...
                                X