Gyro needs some improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyro needs some improvements

Just recently purchased this software and really loving it so far for my joy-cons(my hands have never felt so much more free). However, gyro needs some improvements at least for mouse emulation because thats what I mainly use gyro for. Small movements aren't getting picked up and adjusting my aim in shooters and/or moving the mouse slightly is really difficult because of that. I've tested this on my DS4 and the same problem happens. I'd assume the source of this problem is the movement threshold you guys put on gyro since adjusting the response curve and zone shape doesn't fix it at all. I guess the reason you guys did this was because any input can be put on gyro so having small movements would be detrimental. Another problem(well not really much) I noticed is that moving gyro in a circle isn't smooth on both the joy-cons and DS4 which I might think is either related to the small movements part or the 8 directional inputs but I'm not entirely sure since I have no problems moving in a circle with steam input and joyshockmapper.

Adding in a movement threshold slider would help alleviate the problem of small movements not getting picked up with the lowest threshold matching 1:1 to your movement. Though, you guys might also want to add in gyro calibration as well since gyro drifting does happen quite often with the Steam Controller being the main offender. Alternatively, I feel adding a separate mouse-only gyro option would be better since Steam does that for gyro having separate options for mouse only and directional inputs.

Hello,
    Thank you for your feedback! We have thought regarding gyro functionality improvements and hope you will enjoy the new version more when it will be added.

Stay tuned!
    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hello,
      We have released a new ver. 5.5 where you may check improved gyro functionality. Please, check a new version and send us your feedback. More details regarding the new version this post.

Thank you in advance.
      Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

This version's improved gyro functionality is pretty much what I hoped for. I haven't experienced any gyro drifts so far, but I'm sure there will be a need in the future.

In regards to gyro for joy-cons, I'd like the option to have separate gyro options on both when they are linked together. It's kinda troublesome to link and unlink everytime I want to enable gyro on either joy-cons and it would be pretty cool to have gyro on both at the same time. For example, the left joy-con's gyro could simulate movement when tilting it while the other is normal mouse gyro.

I don't know if this is something I can do in Rewasd but I also would like to have an option to temporarily disable gyro when moving the right(and maybe left) analog stick. This is just related to my playstyle as I like having gyro on all the time in shooters for precise camera and moving the right analog stick to disable gyro for larger camera movement and repositioning my controller. With steam input I can do this using Action Layers which is pretty much similar to Rewasd's Shift mode but you can use it with the analog sticks. With Rewasd, the only way I can disable gyro temporarily is by holding a button used for a shift mode that has no gyro mapped. This is just my preference but I just like not having to press or hold a button everytime to disable gyro for repositioning.

Comment

Hey there! Great that you liked our updated version. Thanks a lot for the feedback!

In regards to gyro for joy-cons, I'd like the option to have separate gyro options on both when they are linked together.
          You can do it if you create two sub-configs for your grouped Joy-Cons and map them separately. Both ones should have "Gamepad" type:

Click image for larger version

Name:	9b6cc4d8fe.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	221563

an option to temporarily disable gyro when moving the right(and maybe left) analog stick
          There is a kind of workaround for this case. Go to Advanced settings for a Stick and map Toggle Gyro On/Off command to the Low zone of the selected stick. Once you start deflecting a stick, you get to the Low zone and your Gyro will be turned off. When your stick is back to the zero state, it will pass Low zone again, and the command will be emulated for the second time and will switch your Gyro on again.

Name:	92294e9946.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	221564

Comment

Cool the sub-configs worked pretty much what I wanted but unless I missed something, I can't toggle gyro on the other joy-con.

Tried the workaround and for the most part it worked but when I flick the stick it wouldn't reactive gyro again. Gets kinda hectic during tense moments when I just want to flick the stick to turn quickly.

Comment

unless I missed something, I can't toggle gyro on the other joy-con.
              You are not missing anything, this is the correct behavior. Gyro-related commands work for this particular device only.

Tried the workaround and for the most part it worked but when I flick the stick it wouldn't reactive gyro again.
              Please try to make Low zone (green one bigger):

Name:	9f00ef2215.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	221571

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post

You are not missing anything, this is the correct behavior. Gyro-related commands work for this particular device only.
                Ah I thought so, but luckily I managed to find a workaround by using shift mode on the sub-config.

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post

Please try to make Low zone (green one bigger):

Name:	9f00ef2215.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	221571
                Tried this but flicking and releasing the stick fast still results the same. Increasing the zone shape seems counter-intuitive for me since I want even the smallest movement on the stick to temporarily disable gyro.

Comment

Increasing the zone shape seems counter-intuitive for me since I want even the smallest movement on the stick to temporarily disable gyro.
                  It should work like that no matter how big the green zone is. When you increase a green zone like on my screenshot, you just make it bigger, so it will be active even if the stick is half-deflected. In order to make the smallest movement to emulate a command, you need to decrease the grey zone (deadzone).

Still, I understand that flicking may cause the issues with a command, and we have already understood what is going wrong there and are planning to make some changes in the upcoming version. Stay tuned!

Comment

Hello SenkiRei

We have changed the way the command is emulated a bit, and now you should not lose it while making a fast move with your stick.

Would be grateful if you could check the new update of reWASD — 5.6 — and let us know how it works for you.

Comment

Tried out the new update but I still got issues with it. Releasing the stick fast(not flicking) is inconsistent depending on the zone shape. My current zone shape seems to not suffer any problems with releasing the stick fast but the problem does exist. However, flicking the stick is still very much an issue whereas before it barely worked while in the new update it's like a 50-50 and I tried adjusting many zone shapes but it's still the same. Overall it's an improvement from before.

Comment

Zone shapes are not adjusting the sensitivity of stick. Zones for stick are used if you have some mapping assigned, by adjusting the zones you simply adjust the activation point.
                        Stick works the same way as it supposed to. We do not add anything special. If you want flicking to be more responsive, you should adjust the responsive curve. This is the only setting which affects stick behavior. Also, acceleration might help.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

We will think what is possible to improve here. Maybe, the idea should be implemented as is: blocking the gyro movement while the stick is active. Stay tuned, with each release, reWASD becomes only better

Comment

Yea I think an option to completely disable gyro while stick is moving would work a lot better than trying to mess with stick settings just to turn off gyro.

Comment

Not sure if we could deliver it soon, but it has been added to our to-do list

As a temporary solution, I just can recommend you to change the size of the zone you use for the command.
                              Zones are used for additional mappings only, so the zone shape won't influence the way your stick moves.

Comment

Working...
                              X