altering output of very highly sensitve analog sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• altering output of very highly sensitve analog sticks

Is it possible?? as most know cheaper controllers often have very twitchy analog... full on movement with only small amounts of stick pressure.. is It possible to alter this?? I've played around with altering the curve, but the stick still jumps from walk to run in an instant (using retroarch and mupen n64 emulator to do my tests since emu games are preset for analog)..Ideally, I'd like for a high range (current 360 clone controller I have goes to something like 32768 +/-) to something a little more realistic...I know the hardware solutions allow you to set top, bottom and mid point numbers... so Ideally, take the input, allow a set midpoint number (actually half of the 32768 number) and out put a smoother 0-320 +/- like so:
    32768 in = 320 out
    16339 in = 160 out
    0 in = 0 out

it would make all these cheap controllers actually usable (I am talking all the GC, Xbox, PS/2/3 and n64 cheap knockoffs you can buy for a few dollars)

Hello!

Have you tried to create to create a curve that looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2d78313ddf.jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	217054

Your stick should move only a little even when you push it to maximum.

Also, I have one more question. How do you actually use the controller in emulator? Do you switch it to Xbox 360 or use keyboard mappings?

Comment

I use the controller in the emulators just as 360 (or whatever the other generics name themselves)you settings actually made it worse ..but did help me in that I didn't know you could bring the last one all the way over and kill the top end.....ultimately I had to kill all deadzone cause this generic 360 controller apparently starts from zero right away, no deadzone cushioning so the settings I used are below...I can tiptoe in marios 64 using retroarch and mupen now.. before he would full run almost immediately

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1104
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	217056

Comment

Originally Posted by medievil View Post
        I use the controller in the emulators just as 360 (or whatever the other generics name themselves)you settings actually made it worse ..but did help me in that I didn't know you could bring the last one all the way over and kill the top end.....ultimately I had to kill all deadzone cause this generic 360 controller apparently starts from zero right away, no deadzone cushioning so the settings I used are below...I can tiptoe in marios 64 using retroarch and mupen now.. before he would full run almost immediately

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1104
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	217056
        Sorry I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.

The settings you used before are almost similar for the default stick response curve. The one that allows you to get 32k output when you maximize the stick deflection.
        If you want to get a smaller output, you need to reduce "Y" value. Here is what I have done in my first post. With that curve, your stick output is much lower than it is. Isn't it the thing you wanted to achieve? How could this curve make everything worse?

Comment

I don't know...default, it goes to full on run almost as soon as you move the stick, very lightly twitch it and he will walk but not tip toe... with your curve it is just full on run....with the one I made, he tip toes and walks before running... I am not sure how the curve sections work, but the middle 2 dots seem to make the most difference for where the top end kicks in... and the first one, the higher on the scale, the better the bottom end (tip toe, walk) response is

Comment

Does this happen only with a specific gamepad? Could you try the game with any other device, so we can be sure that it is not connected to the emulator?

Comment

not the emulator..I have a retrolink n64 usb controller that works fine with the emulator(though not supported by reWASD)..unfortunately my other generic cone controllers (retro power og xbox and gamecube) are not supported by reWASD, but they, like the generic 360 controller run almost immediately(all 3 are made in china and probably output raw uncalibrated numbers form the analog sticks)

Comment

In which game the character runs?

Comment

I need to correct something, I tried your suggested curve again, and I was wrong... well it does make it worse, but before I didn't have the remap enabled... with it enabled, the character barely moves so the out put is waaay too low...

Comment

Great news, that makes sense now.

Well, you need to tune it more I think. This one may help:

Name:	b0e7ed1b3c.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	217070

Here, the character should move slower while the stick deflection is small and then run.
                    Could you please apply this one and try it in the game?

Comment

super mario 64 is the game... retroarch using the mupen 64 plus next core is the emulator.....it's the controller for sure, was hoping that I could use reWASD to change it, even with it altered the jump from walk to run is so fast, while the usb n64 clone controller is smooth you don't hit full run until almost full stick... I am hitting it 1/2 stick with reWASD and 1/4 stick without reWASD...
                      I wish I had an easy way to demonstrate it... the stick is hyper sensitive to movement... (same with the og xbox clone and the Gamecube clone)... I am looking for a program to graph the curve so I can compare the n64 usb to the generic clones

Comment

I have tried your second suggestion, same issue, by 1/2 stick it is full run...there is no or very limited walk area (it is 3 stages.. tip toe= slight movement of the stick, walk= medium movement, and run= full movement)

Comment

Unfortunately, without a controller I'm not sure if I can find the proper curve.

I will try to explain how it works, and will recommend you to try different options by yourself.

Name:	e41026dcc6.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	217074

X axis shows the physical stick deflection. Y axis shows which output you get.

As you can see above, I have about 1/4 of output while I move stick from the deadzone to 1/2. Then, I get bigger output.

Comment

ok, so as you go across the bottom it is bigger stick movement from none to full??.. that helps a lot to know!!
                            Ahhh found a solution I think.... I have to use it in dinput mode, xinput seems to be the wonky control, smooth using it in Retroarch as dinput works perfecty..I will just loose rumble since retroarch, rumble and dinput is not stable...reWASD even lets me map the "xbox button to a key (where as xinpput sees it as a button on it's own)

Comment

Those Chinese gamepads have lots of mysteries, haven't they? :satisfied:

Great to know that you find a workaround.

Yes, you are correct. The bigger Y value is, the higher output you get. X stands for physical movement — from none to full.

Comment

Working...
                              X