Horizon Zero Dawn: Issue with shift layers persisting input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizon Zero Dawn: Issue with shift layers persisting input

Horizon Zero Dawn does not support 'mixed inputs', so to use gyro aiming I've configured a separate shift layer, which fully overrides controls to be keyboard and mouse while the left trigger is pushed. This works perfectly, but when moving while aiming with the (WASD) keys, if I release the left key, the input from the WASD continues for a few seconds as if the keys were still being pressed. Any idea on what could cause this and if there is a way to remedy it?

Please provide the config file you are experiencing this issue with. You can find the file by right-clicking on the name of a config at the top and selecting [Open file location].

Comment

Attached. I'm using a dualsense.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by flowerdealer View Post
        Attached. I'm using a dualsense.
        Thanks for the config provided.
        Please clarify if the same happens in other games or only in Horizon Zero Dawn?

Comment

I'm not sure, but I haven't seen this issue before. It's just that Horizon Zero Dawn has bad 'mixed input' support. I usually don't have to reassign the whole layer to keyboard and mouse just to get it to work.

Comment

Hello!

The config you are using doesn't seem to have this issue — at least I could not reproduce it using the testers. Once the trigger is released, and even if the stick is still deflected, reWASD send W-release, and so you should not move anymore. However, as for the Main layer has the controller mappings, in this case, the stick immediately turns into stick — so to stop, you need to return it to the deadzone.

Frankly speaking, I am not sure why it may continue moving if the stick is back to the deadzone. Maybe you could send us the video of what exactly is happening in the game for better understanding?

Comment

Yes, unfortunately it might be hard for me to capture it as I would need to record the screen and my hands on the controller at the same time. It probably isn't a rewasd issue but a problem with the bad controller implementation that the game uses.

Comment

Quite possibly because several team members have tried to reproduce your issue, but the config looks correct and the WASD mappings are actually released when you go to main layer. Therefore, the reason may lie in something else.
                You can test it in another game or even in a text editor (on return to main, WASD should not continue typing in a text editor) and if the issue persists we really need at least a video to see what's going wrong.

Comment

This is definitely a bug with rewasd, I can fully reproduce in game or outside game, using OBS to capture, I'm attaching videos to show the issue. My config is as follows:
                  - A normal xbox or ds4 profile, where the left trigger is mapped to right mouse click (which is meant to aim in game), and is also a shift layer that changes the controller to be completely a mouse and keyboard setup. If I press Left trigger (right mouse button click) and hold, while walking with the left stick (mapped to WASD) and aiming with the right stick (which is mapped to mouse in the shift layer), and I release the left trigger, taking me back to the base controller layer, the WASD keys stay pressed for some time (and that happens even after fully releasing the left stick and receiving not input.

From my videos note: There is no mouse or keyboard, it's only the input from the rewasd mapped gamepad being shown. One is while playing, the other is just using the controller in the desktop. The WASD input should only be happening (and is only happening) in my example video while I'm holding down the Right mouse click (which is really the left trigger), but for some reason the keys are left pressed even after stopping all input and going back to the base layer.

Comment

Hello! Thank you for the video. We will analyze it and let you know as soon as there is news.

Comment

I just tried an equivalent config using SteamInput (but using mode shift), and it works perfectly without any ghost touches. I can't capture it via obs as my setup only captures xinput controllers and the steam config uses the DualSense mappings. The reason I was using REWASD instead of Steam is that I own the game on Epic, and it's a pain to add those games to Steam and to get controllers to work (took me around 2 hours just do do that), so I would much rather use REWASD for this and moving forward on other games too.

Comment

Sadly, I still can't reproduce the issue with your config and DualSense controller — WASD stops either if I go back to the Main configuration or if I release the trigger. The only idea I have now — is that the ghost input happens on the stick itself, due to small deadzone. That explains why we do not experience the issue using another physical controller.

Could you please try to make a bigger deadzone in the Shift layer (using Response curve where the first dot should be placed on X axis) and try it again on your side?

Click image for larger version

Name:	28d0fbe230.png
Views:	389
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	229817

Comment

I've tried another xbox one controller, without a shift layer, just mapping WASD to the left stick, and it seems like there is an input issue globally with this version of REWASD. I get sticky keys when mapped to a left stick controller to WASD regardless of controller or configuration. Seems to happen more often if there is simultaneous mouse input though.

Comment

I tried your response curve and it's still resulting in sticky keys with all configs and all controllers. Something is really broken with stick - wasd mappings.

Comment

Originally Posted by flowerdealer View Post
                              I tried your response curve and it's still resulting in sticky keys with all configs and all controllers. Something is really broken with stick - wasd mappings.
                              Thank you for checking. The same happens both in the game and overlay you use, right?

Could you please try the previous reWASD version with the same conditions?

Comment

Working...
                              X