Rumble not working with a DualShock 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumble not working with a DualShock 3

I'm setting up Launchbox on my PC and using reWASD to help manage all the different controllers I have for each emulator. I'm loving the software so far, as it's allowed me to easily connect my NES, SNES, and Genesis NSO controllers to use for each system. Currently though, there's an issue with rumble for Playstation games.

I'm wanting to use a DualShock 3 for PS1, PS2, and PS3 games. I can get the DS3 to show up in reWASD just fine, and I have it working in PS1,2, and 3 games, except I don't get any rumble. I know the DS3's rumble works because I just tested it on my PS3 Slim. Also, when I use my XBOX Elite with any of the emulators, the rumble works just fine, so I know the emulators are set up to output rumble.

To troubleshoot, I've tried setting one of the buttons up with rumble for the DS3 profile in reWASD and hit apply, but the controller does not vibrate when I press the button. It seems that for some reason reWASD is not sending the message to the DS3 to rumble.

Is there any way to get rumble to translate through reWASD to the DS3?
    Last edited by Cuzzin Chizzy; 18.04.2022, 16:54.

We made a test on latest reWASD version (6.1.1.5716) and DualShock 3 rumble works fine here. Don't have means to test vibration generated by something else though.

We assume that you have some 3rd party drivers/remappers installed on your system that interfere with reWASD in this weird way. If you do, please disable/remove them.

Can you also specify how you have your DualShock 3 connected to your PC (wired or wireless)?

Comment

I completely wiped all 3rd party drivers. There are no SCP, MotionJoy, or anything of that nature. The DS3 shows up in Windows as the official Sony product. I start off with it wired, Click PAIR in reWASD to pair it for Bluetooth and then wireless.

Comment

Hello!

Could you please also check which drivers are shown in Device Manager?

Find your device in the list, click Update driver. Then, Browse for drivers on your computer -> Let me pick from a list...:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2077a0dd84.png
Views:	679
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	231622

Which things you see there? Please try different drivers if they are available:

Name:	ef177e7349.png
Views:	680
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	231623

Comment

My update drivers screen for the controller does show the same thing.

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	231632

It was listed in Device Manager as "Wireless controller for PLAYSTATION(R)3" already.

I tried updating by clicking on "Wireless controller for PLAYSTATION(R)3" in the Driver update window, got a message saying the driver was updated, then tested for rumble and it didn't work.
          Then I tried updating with "USB Input Device" , got the same driver updated successfully message, and tested for rumble again. Didn't work that way either.
          So I switched it back to "Wireless controller for PLAYSTATION(R)3".

All of this is with the DS3 connected to the PC with the USB cable.

If I unplug the DS3, then reWASD forces the XBOX360 virtual driver and it shows up in device manager as "USB Input Device" and in Properties says "XBOX_360_DEVICE_01:01" under Location

Not sure what else to try

Comment

If I unplug the DS3, then reWASD forces the XBOX360 virtual driver and it shows up in device manager as "USB Input Device" and in Properties says "XBOX_360_DEVICE_01:01" under Location
            Hm, reWASD doesn't force any virtual drivers, especially if you unplug the controller. Maybe you still have some third-party drivers or tools?

Comment

hmm, I thought that's what reWASD did with controllers, is applied one of the virtual devices under the Magic Wand to make Windows see it as either a 360, DS4, or XBone controller.. well aside from the remapping features that is.

so are you saying that when using, for example, the 360 virtual controller, I should see both that AND the "Wireless controller for PLAYSTATION(R)3" showing in Device Manager?

I was under the impression that reWASD basically replaced the native controller function with whatever virtual device you had selected. Like, wouldn't the DS3's functionality clash with the 360 virtual controller. Like when you push the triangle button, say, it would be sending the DS3 triangle input as well as the 360 Y button?

As is, I see "Wireless controller for PLAYSTATION(R)3" show up in Devices and Printer, until I start reWASD, then I hear the Windows "usb device plugged in sound", I get the reWASD yellow popup notification box saying that the Dualshock 3 is connected and it's profile loaded, and then "Wireless controller for PLAYSTATION(R)3" disappears from Devices and Printers and I see a "Virtual XBOX 360 controller , for reWASD or something. The picture in Devices and Printers is of a 360 controller with the reWASD lightning bolt logo as the XBOX home button and the controller has the reWASD colors of the army green and yellow.

Guess I'm confused on what the inherent functionality is when using the virtual controllers...

Comment

The behavior you describe is normal. Our application hides your physically connected controller from the system and our virtual gamepad appears instead. In case your DS3 is hidden, when you click on the triangle, only the "Y" input will be sent to the system.

Please send me the file with system information. It doesn’t include any personal data but shows active processes, installed apps and drivers. It will help us recreate the same conditions and reproduce the issue from our side.
                1. Type ‘msinfo’ in Windows search
                2. Press Enter to open System Information tool
                3. Go to File → Save
                4. Send me the *.nfo file you get

Comment

I'm getting a message that says "Upload failed. You are not allowed to upload files with the extension nfo."

tried zipping it and get the same message for 7z or rar archives

there another way to get that file to ya?

Comment

You can upload it to a file hosting service and provide us with a link.

Comment

Just sent you a message with a google drive link.

Comment

Got it, thanks. I didn't find traces of third party drivers or remappers on your system.

As for your case, we'd like you to collect logs of your controller connection. Here is how:
                        1. Unplug/disconnect all physical controllers and their adapters, if present.
                        2. Run reWASD as Administrator.
                        3. Open 'Preferences > General', select 'Standard logging' with :"Service/Driver logs" and "GUI/Agent logs".
                        4. Click 'Start log' button and leave 'Preferences'.
                        5. Connect your adapter and controller and wait a few seconds until it appears as a new device in the bottom left corner of the app.
                        6. Go to 'Preferences > General' again and click 'Stop log' button.
                        7. In the message that will appear, click 'Open file location', find the archive that was created last, and send it to us.
                        If you have accidentally closed the message, you can still find the archive at ​C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Logs folder.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

ok, cool

Got a few things to clarify to make sure I'm getting you what you need

I'll make sure no controllers are plugged in with cables, connected via Bluetooth, and that my XBOX Elite wireless dongle is removed.

My computer does have an ASUS Bluetooth dongle (that all my BT controllers connect to), as well as a wireless dongle each for both a Logitech wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.

Do I need to unplug those for the reWASD logs to be accurate?

Also, when you say

"5. Connect your adapter and controller and wait a few seconds until it appears as a new device in the bottom left corner of the app."

Do you mean reconnect the Bluetooth dongle that the DS3 connects to and connect to DS3 wirelessly prior to starting the log? Or do I want to connect the DS3 with the USB cable prior to starting the log?
                          Last edited by Cuzzin Chizzy; 20.04.2022, 18:38.

Comment

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'll make sure no controllers are plugged in with cables, connected via Bluetooth, and that my XBOX Elite wireless dongle is removed.
                            That's enough, just the gamepads and their specific adapters. No need to unplug the Bluetooth dongle.

Or do I want to connect the DS3 with the USB cable prior to starting the log?
                            Yes, in your case, you just need to plug the USB cable back. Start the log, then connect the controller via USB and stop a log in a few moments.

Comment

6.1.1.5716.20.04.2022_13-18-25.zip

is this what you need?

Comment

Working...
                              X