Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't swap the yaw and roll axes on a Joy-Con controller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jeynos View Post
    Hey, I realized the video I sent was using gyro to mouse, not Gamepad like your videos. So I wanted to go check and see if I can recreate the issue you have and you are right the steering axis does not work for Yaw when using gamepad input. I have made some videos to show this bug. All of this is using official Switch JoyCon.

First off, here is a video showing the difference between Gyro mode and Tilt mode as I think it may help you with what you are trying to do​

As you can see, in Gyro mode every movement gets sent as it's own input and it is not continuous unless you continue moving. In Tilt mode it continually gives input as long as you tilt away from the 'center point' like an analog stick does. The center point is the position the JoyCon is in when gyro is turned on, for this reason I think it is helpful to have a button mapped to 'Toggle Gyro On/Off' so you can easily set a new 'center' point if neccessary.

Ok here is the video showing the issue:

First I show that reWASD has it's Gyro Steering Axis set to Roll, and in game it works correctly with Roll giving right to left movement. Pitch is inverted but still works correctly(can be easily fixed in reWASD), and Yaw gives no input at all.

Then I go back to reWASD and switch Gyro Steering Axis to Yaw and go back into the game and you can see everything is exactly the same. Roll gives left-right X-axis movement, and Yaw still does nothing and gives no input.​

Then I went back and made another config using Gyro to Mouse to see if it has the same issue, and Mouse does not have the same problem.

Here I show that when using a mouse config, both Yaw and Roll Steering Axis work correctly.

So the issue is that when using Xinput gamepad config the Yaw / Roll Steering toggle does not work, it is always on Roll regardless of what is set.

I think this is a reWASD bug so hopefully it can be fixed.​

I have attached both configs I used to do these tests
    Hi, jeynos.
    In this video I show you how behaves in my game the "gyro" mode vs "tilt" mode. As you can see, I think the "tilt" mode is better suited to my intention to trotte and brake. I've, however, to test it more thoroughly, because when I made the video, I realized that I had the axes confused in my mind.

Thanks, as always, everyone for your help on this issue.​

Comment

Originally Posted by Santi-Tetra View Post

Hi, jeynos.
      In this video I show you how behaves in my game the "gyro" mode vs "tilt" mode. As you can see, I think the "tilt" mode is better suited to my intention to trotte and brake. I've, however, to test it more thoroughly, because when I made the video, I realized that I had the axes confused in my mind.

Thanks, as always, everyone for your help on this issue.​
      Yes, I agree that for throttle and brake the tilt mode is necessary. I hope reWASD can fix the bug so that tilt mode works with Yaw axis so this is will work. It seems like they should be able to fix it because while in Gyro mode reWASD clearly can see the input for Yaw axis movement, so it should be able to do so for tilt mode as well.

Comment

Ah, that is a very interesting use of the JoyCon! I think this will indeed be possible once the Yaw axis is working correctly. I still think it will be helpful to have a button set to 'Toggle Gyro On/Off' to reset the center point when necessary
        I'm glad to know that you find the alternative use that I give to the Joy-con interesting. I think that for people with quadriplegia (as is my case) it's a very good way to enjoy video games. For this reason, I think that if the "Yaw" axis can be made to work in the "Tilt" mode, it would be very positive for a full use of the Joy-con with the reWASD software. 😃

Comment

Yes, I agree that for throttle and brake the tilt mode is necessary. I hope reWASD can fix the bug so that tilt mode works with Yaw axis so this is will work. It seems like they should be able to fix it because while in Gyro mode reWASD clearly can see the input for Yaw axis movement, so it should be able to do so for tilt mode as well.
          Let's hope so, friend. As a layman that I am in the field of programming, from the outside it seems that it could. Every day I look at the reWASD software to see if there was the new update that I'm longing for 😉💪

Comment

There is no bug in reWASD and tilt is working as expected by design. Please reread above post concerning the Reset Tilt command​. To switch to yaw mode for tilt you just need to hold your JoyCon vertically and issue this command via some key binding. This happens dynamically and is not controlled by any setting in Preferences (like for gyro) - tilt uses different mechanism.
            If you need to switch back to normal tilt mode (pitch and roll axes) just place JoyCon horizontally and issue Reset Tilt again. That's it. You can do it as many times as you wish on the fly, without reapplying your config.

Comment

Originally Posted by DevX View Post
              There is no bug in reWASD and tilt is working as expected by design. Please reread above post concerning the Reset Tilt command​. To switch to yaw mode for tilt you just need to hold your JoyCon vertically and issue this command via some key binding. This happens dynamically and is not controlled by any setting in Preferences (like for gyro) - tilt uses different mechanism.
              If you need to switch back to normal tilt mode (pitch and roll axes) just place JoyCon horizontally and issue Reset Tilt again. That's it. You can do it as many times as you wish on the fly, without reapplying your config.
              This doesn't work for me, if I hold the JoyCon vertically and issue the reset tilt command it does not switch to Yaw, the motion that inputs X axis movement is still Roll it's just that now the physical orientation of the controller has changed so the motion the controller is making would look like Yaw relative to itself but not to the space the player is in

To clear up any misunderstanding this motion here (timestamped 1:26) https://youtu.be/r6Oo333OF3g?t=86 is what we are trying to achieve. So with the controller in horizontal orientation, with Yaw movement, that results in X-axis joystick movement in Tilt mode. Does Reset Tilt help with this or am I just not getting it?

Comment

Hi DevX.
                I am feeling very clumsy with this whole subject. I have tried what you indicate with the "Reset tilt" function and the system still does not recognize the Yaw axis. I have made a new video to show you the steps I am taking.

This time I have put the Roll/Yaw axis in the "Dirección" bar of the game. I also look forward to your result, jeynos, with the instructions they have provided to us. To me, the Yaw axis still doesn't recognize it. The "Reset tilt" function seems to set the axes of the Joy.-con (in the spatial position in which the controller is currently located) to a value 0, but not swap between the Roll and Yaw axes.​

Comment

We'll try to investigate it more and recheck on our side - thank you for information.

Comment

jeynos Santi-Tetra Could you please send us your configs?

Your configs are stored here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles
                    We need the correspondent *.rewasd file.

Comment

Originally Posted by strokel View Post

Of course. I think it's this file, right? I attach an image of my reWASD to confirm it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

This doesn't work for me, if I hold the JoyCon vertically and issue the reset tilt command it does not switch to Yaw, the motion that inputs X axis movement is still Roll it's just that now the physical orientation of the controller has changed so the motion the controller is making would look like Yaw relative to itself but not to the space the player is in

To clear up any misunderstanding this motion here (timestamped 1:26) https://youtu.be/r6Oo333OF3g?t=86 is what we are trying to achieve. So with the controller in horizontal orientation, with Yaw movement, that results in X-axis joystick movement in Tilt mode. Does Reset Tilt help with this or am I just not getting it?
                        Friend jeynos, the same thing happens to you as to me. It's as if when reWASD is in "Tilt mode" the spatial position of the Joy-con does not matter for the behavior of the three axes. I don't know how to explain it well, but it doesn't matter if the Joy-con is vertical or horizontal, that the movement of the Pitch axis, for example, is always the same as what we do with the hand, regardless of whether the controller is in a vertical position or horizontal. I don't know how to explain it better... 🙄

Comment

Originally Posted by strokel View Post

Here is my config:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by Santi-Tetra View Post

Friend jeynos, the same thing happens to you as to me. It's as if when reWASD is in "Tilt mode" the spatial position of the Joy-con does not matter for the behavior of the three axes. I don't know how to explain it well, but it doesn't matter if the Joy-con is vertical or horizontal, that the movement of the Pitch axis, for example, is always the same as what we do with the hand, regardless of whether the controller is in a vertical position or horizontal. I don't know how to explain it better... 🙄
                            Yes, it is a difficult subject to explain with all the axis and positions that complicate the matter. I hope reWASD will be able to fix this, to me it seems like reWASD can detect the Yaw movement perfectly as we know that it works in Gyro mode, it is just not applying it properly using Tilt mode. I use the Yaw mode every day for Mouselook when playing games with JoyCon so I know that that axis motion should work, it's just that Tilt mode is the problem

Comment

Santi-Tetra, jeynos Thanks for the configs.
                              We will check it on our side and let you know if there is any news.​

Comment

> the movement of the Pitch axis, for example, is always the same
                                Let's make it more clear - pitch axis (rotation around X) never changes in any tilt mode. Only roll (rotation around Y) and yaw (rotation around Z) axes should be swapped. Here we assume direction of X is right from user, Y is to screen, and Z is up, and these axes are relative to JoyCon itself.
                                In horizontal mode only X (pitch) and Y (roll) contribute to tilt. Z (yaw) does nothing as it is directed along gravity vector and it is not possible to detect reliably, because device has no magnetometer.
                                Now, if you place your JoyCon vertically and issue ''reset tilt' command, reWASD should change tilt mode. In such case only X (pitch)and Z(yaw) will work for tilt, because they are perpendicular to gravity vector . Y (roll) cannot work because it is now directed up along gravity.
                                Please note again, that X,Y and Z in this context are relative to JoyCon itself.
                                That is how it works in general.
                                We'll recheck your configs and try reproduce this situation if this is bug or some misunderstanding.

Comment

Working...
                                X